Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Difficult to switch from Public To Private Sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11570-difficult-switch-public-private-sector.html)

aresnum 17-04-2019 12:04 PM

Difficult to switch from Public To Private Sector

Hi ,

Been with public sector for past 6 years .. salary and bonus is very good ( 16 - 18 months ) , but too much politics and opportunity to learn new things .

Anyone successfully change job to private MNC , and retain the same remuneration? Most of my experience related to policy which seems not appreciated by MNC .

I am in IT field , local Singaporean .

Thanks .

Unregistered 17-04-2019 01:27 PM

Which CS are u in?
Why do you say there are too much politics?

aresnum 17-04-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117175)
Which CS are u in?
Why do you say there are too much politics?

One of the stat board . Bosses only keen to claim credit , and play politics . , unproductive working environment.

Unregistered 17-04-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresnum (Post 117172)
Hi ,

Been with public sector for past 6 years .. salary and bonus is very good ( 16 - 18 months ) , but too much politics and opportunity to learn new things .

Anyone successfully change job to private MNC , and retain the same remuneration? Most of my experience related to policy which seems not appreciated by MNC .

I am in IT field , local Singaporean .

Thanks .

You need to weigh the pros and cons. The only issue is your current place is too much politics.

The issue with CS is emphasis on theory or policy work.

Unregistered 17-04-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresnum (Post 117191)
One of the stat board . Bosses only keen to claim credit , and play politics . , unproductive working environment.

State it la. Why you hum ji

JobHunter45 17-04-2019 10:20 PM

I switched to private sector after 7 years but took a pay cut. From what i see from my and other former public servants' experience, private sector seems slightly bias against public sector (think we slack all day, work 9 to 5, happily enjoying cushy bonuses....ha if only!!). But perception aside most of our work is also not relevant to private sector...which explains the pay cut.

Maybe consider another govt body if you wanna keep your salary? I think public sector is slowly but surely deteriorating but there are pockets of hope to be found here and there.

Unregistered 17-04-2019 11:19 PM

Also in the IT industry, one of the MNC tech giant. politics everywhere too, similar problems. Think twice before you switch, grass is not always better on the other side. Probably just the IT industry issue.

Unregistered 18-04-2019 03:49 PM

Does it mean that it is common to have 4 months of bonuses in the public sector even at entry level? How do this compare to the bonuses in the private sector?

Unregistered 18-04-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117256)
Does it mean that it is common to have 4 months of bonuses in the public sector even at entry level? How do this compare to the bonuses in the private sector?

I think it will be fairer to compare similar job junction from across CS to private sector.

Some private sector roles dont have high bonus but high base salary.

aresnum 18-04-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JobHunter45 (Post 117213)
I switched to private sector after 7 years but took a pay cut. From what i see from my and other former public servants' experience, private sector seems slightly bias against public sector (think we slack all day, work 9 to 5, happily enjoying cushy bonuses....ha if only!!). But perception aside most of our work is also not relevant to private sector...which explains the pay cut.

Maybe consider another govt body if you wanna keep your salary? I think public sector is slowly but surely deteriorating but there are pockets of hope to be found here and there.

Been trying to apply for transfer ... boss not letting me go .. sigh .... if I not switching now , will have to stay in public sector forever .

Non scholar difficult to climb the corporate ladders.