Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
momojojo is on a distinguished road
Default Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities

The masters programmes in local universities (ie SMU, NTU, NUS) for management as well as finance courses (ie MSc Finance, MSc Management, EXCLUDING MBa) seem to be significantly costlier than those of foreign/private universities (ie National University of Ireland offered by Kaplan & others). The entry requirements seem to be higher for the local universities too. In fact, many of the masters offered by private/foreign universities do not require a GMAT/GRE score.

However, based on my conversations with hiring managers, the advantage of having a local masters does not seem to be very significant. Do you guys think this is remotely possible? Being a local university student from undergrad to post grad, I must say that I find certain truth in that. The career progression seems rather similar for folks who possess a private/foreign uni masters. If so, then what is the use of having costlier school fees and higher entry requirements?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

someone wrote this a while back and I am pasting this for your benefit.
I thought it made a lot of sense. It doesn't answer your questions directly but it does answer part of it. My personal view on this is:
1) do a local post-grad if you think your future is in Singapore. I personally think opportunities are limited in tiny singapore market. There will be exceptions for certain professions, like doctors, lawyers etc.
2) if you want to a foreign program, don't do those cheap UK/US, no GMAT requirements, from lesss well known programs. Go for good ones, preferrably top ones in US or Europe and be prepared to work abroad to maximize your ROI and gain valuable overseas experience.


"I have been reading some of the postings on whether it is worth pursuing an MBA/EMBA. The responses ranges from complete waste of time to best experience of your life. Like everything else in life, the truth is normally somewhere in between and it is up to you to make the most of it. I am now in my 40s, I have an MBA from IMD and attended a few executive programs from Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. I want share some of observations which I hope will be useful to most of you:

1) from an intellectual pursuit standpoint, doing a program with a good school is a fantastic experience. One of the commonly ignored benefit of doing a program like an MBA or EMBA is that it challenges your current thinking and helps you to realize that there are other opportunities beyond your narrow line of work. (IT, accounting,engineering etc)

2) one of the benefit of doing a program outside of Singapore, is that you need to challenge everything your professor teaches you. In another words, they are not Gods. You think for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. For a singaporean schooled in our strait-jacket type of education here, it was a liberating experience. There will be professors who are idiots and there will be inspirational ones. You should leave the program not arm with models and tools but with an attitude and passion for learning and to know that there is no 'right' or 'one way' to solve challenges in any organisation. Most of time, you are training to be a better decision maker.

3) for those who have been working for more than 10 years, my advice is to do an EMBA. However, the probability of switching career (say from IT to banking) is very low. But it will enhance your current experience and help you move to a more global organization if you are prepared to get your ass out of Singapore. If you are planning to spend that kind of money, you have to be prepared to work for large corporation and be willing to be based anywhere. If not, why bother. Part of the reason why ROI is low for many programs is that many students focus only in the Singapore market. Singapore is too small a market. Which is why it is worth it to do a program with international standing where if you were to step off an airport in any country, you won't get strange reception like "where is NUS?"

4) for career switchers, start early. If you cross 32, it becomes challenging.

5) on networking, I think it is overrated. Instead try to establish meaningful friendships which will last a lifetime.

6) For me, post MBA, I couldn't wait to get out of Singapore. The pay was good and I have never looked back. However, I have seen people who don't do well post MBA. Most of time, the people who do the program for the wrong reasons, will likely leave the program with unrealistic expectations and confusing aspirations.

7) A lot of questions on this post are question like "should i do an MBA?", "should I do a phd/dba", "should I do an NTU program"? To me, everyone is asking the wrong questions. Like everything else, it depends. It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If your plan is to increase your pay, get a good global career, then do a program from a good international school (you can easily cross out NUS/NTU). If you plan is to stay in Singapore, your ROI is going to be low anyway, so, pick a well recognised program in Singapore. The problem with most people is that they want to switch careers, stay in singapore, get a high pay and get a high ROI. If that is your expectation, then it doesn't really matter what program you do, it is unlikely you will meet all your needs.

In conclusion, an MBA/EMBA is worth it and ROI is good if you are willing to make some changes yourself and be clear why you are doing it in the first place. Good luck to all. "

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nothing is as loser as doing a postgrad thinking that it will increase your market value and after a couple of interview, you find out that all the offer sucks. They pay even lower than what you are drawing now.

Sounds like a real loser right? Well, it happened to me. No, I am not changing a career, just doing something in a different capacity.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nothing is as loser as doing a postgrad thinking that it will increase your market value and after a couple of interview, you find out that all the offer sucks. They pay even lower than what you are drawing now.

Sounds like a real loser right? Well, it happened to me. No, I am not changing a career, just doing something in a different capacity.
Or it could mean you are currently overpaid. Enjoy while it lasts.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nothing is as loser as doing a postgrad thinking that it will increase your market value and after a couple of interview, you find out that all the offer sucks. They pay even lower than what you are drawing now.

Sounds like a real loser right? Well, it happened to me. No, I am not changing a career, just doing something in a different capacity.
Obviously so.

Postgrad degrees are for those who did not have enough time to finish their undergrad exams to show the world that they now have all the time in the world.

Would advertising sponsors pay more to an athlete who can run 100 m below 10 s, or one who can run 100 rounds around Singapore until his soles drop off?


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For me, I always think that dont waste money with local MBAs (no matter how they are ranked by FT or any BS magazines).

You want to spend so much money to pursue a MBA, make sure u get the best.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
momojojo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
someone wrote this a while back and I am pasting this for your benefit.
I thought it made a lot of sense. It doesn't answer your questions directly but it does answer part of it. My personal view on this is:
1) do a local post-grad if you think your future is in Singapore. I personally think opportunities are limited in tiny singapore market. There will be exceptions for certain professions, like doctors, lawyers etc.
2) if you want to a foreign program, don't do those cheap UK/US, no GMAT requirements, from lesss well known programs. Go for good ones, preferrably top ones in US or Europe and be prepared to work abroad to maximize your ROI and gain valuable overseas experience.


"I have been reading some of the postings on whether it is worth pursuing an MBA/EMBA. The responses ranges from complete waste of time to best experience of your life. Like everything else in life, the truth is normally somewhere in between and it is up to you to make the most of it. I am now in my 40s, I have an MBA from IMD and attended a few executive programs from Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. I want share some of observations which I hope will be useful to most of you:

1) from an intellectual pursuit standpoint, doing a program with a good school is a fantastic experience. One of the commonly ignored benefit of doing a program like an MBA or EMBA is that it challenges your current thinking and helps you to realize that there are other opportunities beyond your narrow line of work. (IT, accounting,engineering etc)

2) one of the benefit of doing a program outside of Singapore, is that you need to challenge everything your professor teaches you. In another words, they are not Gods. You think for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. For a singaporean schooled in our strait-jacket type of education here, it was a liberating experience. There will be professors who are idiots and there will be inspirational ones. You should leave the program not arm with models and tools but with an attitude and passion for learning and to know that there is no 'right' or 'one way' to solve challenges in any organisation. Most of time, you are training to be a better decision maker.

3) for those who have been working for more than 10 years, my advice is to do an EMBA. However, the probability of switching career (say from IT to banking) is very low. But it will enhance your current experience and help you move to a more global organization if you are prepared to get your ass out of Singapore. If you are planning to spend that kind of money, you have to be prepared to work for large corporation and be willing to be based anywhere. If not, why bother. Part of the reason why ROI is low for many programs is that many students focus only in the Singapore market. Singapore is too small a market. Which is why it is worth it to do a program with international standing where if you were to step off an airport in any country, you won't get strange reception like "where is NUS?"

4) for career switchers, start early. If you cross 32, it becomes challenging.

5) on networking, I think it is overrated. Instead try to establish meaningful friendships which will last a lifetime.

6) For me, post MBA, I couldn't wait to get out of Singapore. The pay was good and I have never looked back. However, I have seen people who don't do well post MBA. Most of time, the people who do the program for the wrong reasons, will likely leave the program with unrealistic expectations and confusing aspirations.

7) A lot of questions on this post are question like "should i do an MBA?", "should I do a phd/dba", "should I do an NTU program"? To me, everyone is asking the wrong questions. Like everything else, it depends. It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If your plan is to increase your pay, get a good global career, then do a program from a good international school (you can easily cross out NUS/NTU). If you plan is to stay in Singapore, your ROI is going to be low anyway, so, pick a well recognised program in Singapore. The problem with most people is that they want to switch careers, stay in singapore, get a high pay and get a high ROI. If that is your expectation, then it doesn't really matter what program you do, it is unlikely you will meet all your needs.

In conclusion, an MBA/EMBA is worth it and ROI is good if you are willing to make some changes yourself and be clear why you are doing it in the first place. Good luck to all. "
This is some really good stuff here and I really appreciate your response!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Local Master
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Becareful where you get your masters ...

I have a feeling that there are few countries who have commercialized education quiet well that you get a degree for attending the school (or spending your money in that country).

I would put Australia, UK in this category; unless you come from the top schools in those countries i doubt the degree will be valued.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2010, 01:49 AM
DLJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Or it could mean you are currently overpaid. Enjoy while it lasts.

You're an idiot. The guy who went to IMD pretty much summed it up.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
Foreign Workers' Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 4 02-10-2015 10:36 AM
Expats on local terms Salary.sg Income and Jobs 7 07-02-2014 11:33 AM
Private banker income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 22-12-2010 04:54 PM
Cambridge or local university? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 4 18-03-2008 09:10 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,589 Replies, 964,202 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
361 Replies, 163,295 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 1,000,709 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 34,717 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,990 Replies, 1,350,944 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,842 Replies, 2,056,729 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
807 Replies, 409,844 Views
NCS Salary range and Promotion...
1 Replies, 336 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 252,908 Views
Need career advice
3 Replies, 546 Views
HSBC Career ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 35,563 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,906 Replies, 5,108,638 Views
MINDEF enlistment inspector
2 Replies, 275 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 100,194 Views
International Relations Careers
0 Replies, 113 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 46,518 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
5 Replies, 456 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,682 Replies, 476,643 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
271 Replies, 110,360 Views
I am getting promoted in Jan 2020... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,138 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 222,578 Views
Anyone from Bank of America... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,344 Views
Salary increment on contract...
1 Replies, 310 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,755 Replies, 815,272 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,848 Replies, 1,718,970 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 86,449 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,005 Replies, 799,955 Views
Senior Lab officer @ IMRE
8 Replies, 4,092 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 40,763 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,063 Replies, 469,764 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2