Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2010, 02:58 AM

momojojo is on a distinguished road
Default Doing a masters in local vs private/foreign universities

The masters programmes in local universities (ie SMU, NTU, NUS) for management as well as finance courses (ie MSc Finance, MSc Management, EXCLUDING MBa) seem to be significantly costlier than those of foreign/private universities (ie National University of Ireland offered by Kaplan & others). The entry requirements seem to be higher for the local universities too. In fact, many of the masters offered by private/foreign universities do not require a GMAT/GRE score.

However, based on my conversations with hiring managers, the advantage of having a local masters does not seem to be very significant. Do you guys think this is remotely possible? Being a local university student from undergrad to post grad, I must say that I find certain truth in that. The career progression seems rather similar for folks who possess a private/foreign uni masters. If so, then what is the use of having costlier school fees and higher entry requirements?