What course should I undertake? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

What course should I undertake?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM

HummyTumTums is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb What course should I undertake?

Context

tl;dr, scroll to the very last paragraph if you can't be bothered to read the specifics (>u w u )>
===============================================
I am an aspiring Entrepreneur, Engineer, Scientist and Artist. I am trying to model after Elon Musk. I want to be someone as influential as him.

I've read up on him and he advised to determine a set of visions so as to calibrate my compass to realise my vision. So I decided that

1), I want to develop alternative energy sources and bring cheap, renewable and clean energy to the masses. I am currently eyeing nuclear fusion energy.

2), I want to help transcend the human race from a global civilisation to an interplanetary one. This will involve things like engineering rockets and spaceships, technology to sustain human life on Mars and the networking skills to garner the support of the public. (Like Neil deGrasse Tyson )

3), I want to pioneer in asteroid mining and in-space manufacturing. I think it is hugely beneficial to all of us and is an unbridled pot of gold where big business can be done there.

4), I want to be able to share my passion for science and future with others and inspire them through the mediums of public speaking and storytelling ( writing books and hybridising with art )

5), To be ascertained passions/ visions.

So I came up with a rough plan based on Elon Musk.
Step 1. Develop skills necessary to be able to employ people to help me achieve my visions in the future. For example, acquire a physics background to be capable of leading a team of scientists and engineers to push the space frontier.

Step 2. Develop relevant skills to become rich. Such include skills to build businesses and earn passive income.

Step 3. Use money to become a shareholder of different companies that are pursuing my vision or create a company from ground up. At this stage, I will be doing high return in investment deals whilst realising my vision.

Step 4. Inspire people.

Step 5. Become fulfilled.

My problem comes with Step 1. What course should I undertake so that my skills may align with what I want to do later on in life?
( After I become rich )

I am currently taking my General Curriculum Education Ordinary Level Examinations this year. I remain undecided on which course to take next year in a Polytechnique. Although I am have inclined towards pursuing the Poly career path, I am still open to consider applying for Junior College.

Here is why I do not want to apply for JC. Don't read if you don't have to. It's long.
I am currently against apply for Junior College due to the academic rigour and the rote learning that happens there. Although critical thinking skills and subject competency is cultivated at a much deeper level in JC, I do not believe that it will benefit me all that much. After all, I want to employ and not be employed. I already despise Secondary School education. It leads me to think that the education system is flawed. All you are doing for Secondary School ,and presumably JC, is mindlessly downloading algorithms into the brain to usually never use it again. In Secondary School, we are forced to memorise information, at least for the sciences, and regurgitate it out. Others judge your academic capacity based on how well you can memorise and vomit it out on paper. THIS IS NOT what the scientific method is and not how I want to learn. I used to love science with a heated passion. But after getting into a high stress environment of O level prep, the three sciences I am studying suddenly has become dull and mundane, because of the sheer amount of information to memorise. Compounding the stresses of Co-curriculum activities like sports competition, it makes for a disaster for someone who has no motivation or drive to do well. Of course, there are other factors that contribute to how well someone could cope with such an environment but I shudder to think how JC will be like if I already dislike secondary school life. Maybe my interest for science will get crushed out of me. Don't get me wrong, I was a hard worker and am capable of being diligent but this is nearly impossible when the education system robs you of your reason and interest to study in the first place. The only area where I can truly engage in my best work is in projects because a clear vision, mission and goal is identified. With those, I can study willingly and many times more effectively with much more efficacy as compared to being forced to study. If JC life is just an exacerbated version of upper secondary school life, I do not want to attend JC. I concede that the path I want to pursue requires one to be highly competent in the relevant fields of study as pioneering work requires top-notch-calibre skills. However, I can still acquire skills even without formal education like how Elon Musk learned rocket science through books and mentors. The key here is for me to be willing to study, which is unlikely in JC. Nonetheless, I can adapt to JC life if I absolutely have to through a series of habit building but I would like to abstain from JC if possible.

I want a lot freedom with my time during tertiary education to develop other skill sets outside the ones predetermined by the institution. For example, I want to develop my artistic talent for digital art whilst also studying for a curriculum I am interested in like Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Sciences, e.t.c. I would also like to test the waters of entrepreneurship in poly. Since I am a triple sciences student in the final year of secondary school, I have passion for science, particularly for physics, but I'd could take any science related course if it aligns with my aspirations.

The problem is, what course should I take? I am thinking somewhere along the line of Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics. Although I do wish to become an entrepreneur, my primary interest is with science so I decided not to go for business courses. Will learn that externally.

I am looking for suggestions on which course I should take in poly. Bearing in mind my aspirations and interests, I would love to hear them and what I could stand to learn from it and apply what I learn in my chosen fields.

Cheers.

Old 19-11-2019, 04:29 AM

gibsson27 is on a distinguished road

Hi dear, Thank you so much for offering new course for students. by the way, if someone looking here for buying online research paper writing service It is always the first choice for students please review for more detail here https://researchpapers.io/pay-to-wri...rch-paper-now/ We try our best to provide an efficient assistance while accomplishing any type of college paper research before the deadline.

Old 28-12-2019, 06:09 PM

schooleeners is on a distinguished road

Inasmuch as I really admire your aspiration in becoming one of the most influential entrepreneur; I'd really do advice you to take one step at a time. There are lots of universities and scholars program that offers Science and Engineering courses that will aid your dream of becoming who you want to become in life. However, in my honest opinion, I'd suggest you follow your heart. Go with that course you love so much.

I realize that one of the most easiest way of becoming a successful person in life is to follow your passion. Study a course you have natural passion for. With that, the sky will be your starting point.

Just my one cent.

Old 27-01-2020, 07:21 PM

johnsson is on a distinguished road

Some students are struggling in writing, They always go for help from professional experts, advisors or school teachers. Although in case there's no one who could give you a hand in such a situation, there is one more solution to the problem https://businessays.net/samples/s/marketing-strategy/ here you can hire a professional writer to get a high-quality essay fast and at an affordable price. This will save time and prove results.
Old 18-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Verified Member

pondwary is on a distinguished road

You must first consider taking up a course that will build a strong foundation for your vision. Once in place, everything will follow.
Old 18-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondwary View Post
You must first consider taking up a course that will build a strong foundation for your vision. Once in place, everything will follow.
Whatever course u take doesnt matter.
More impt is to be streetsmart and carry balls well

Old 18-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

Just dont take an arts or social science degree. Nus soc sci grad here, driving grab for the past 2 years, zero job offers from gvmt or private sectors
Old 01-04-2020, 04:20 AM

So long as I really admire your aspiration in becoming one of the most influential entrepreneur; I'd really do advice you to take one step at a time. There are lots of universities and scholars program that offers Science and Engineering courses that will aid your dream of becoming who you want to become in life. However, in my honest opinion, I'd suggest you follow your heart. Go with that intensive driving lessons you love so much.

I realize that one of the most easiest way of becoming a successful person in life is to follow your passion. Study a course you have natural passion for. With that, the sky will be your starting point.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-04-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummyTumTums View Post
Context

tl;dr, scroll to the very last paragraph if you can't be bothered to read the specifics (>u w u )>
I am an aspiring Entrepreneur, Engineer, Scientist and Artist. I am trying to model after Elon Musk. I want to be someone as influential as him.

I've read up on him and he advised to determine a set of visions so as to calibrate my compass to realise my vision. So I decided that

1), I want to develop alternative energy sources and bring cheap, renewable and clean energy to the masses. I am currently eyeing nuclear fusion energy.

2), I want to help transcend the human race from a global civilisation to an interplanetary one. This will involve things like engineering rockets and spaceships, technology to sustain human life on Mars and the networking skills to garner the support of the public. (Like Neil deGrasse Tyson )

3), I want to pioneer in asteroid mining and in-space manufacturing. I think it is hugely beneficial to all of us and is an unbridled pot of gold where big business can be done there.

4), I want to be able to share my passion for science and future with others and inspire them through the mediums of public speaking and storytelling ( writing books and hybridising with art )

5), To be ascertained passions/ visions.

So I came up with a rough plan based on Elon Musk.
Step 1. Develop skills necessary to be able to employ people to help me achieve my visions in the future. For example, acquire a physics background to be capable of leading a team of scientists and engineers to push the space frontier.

Step 2. Develop relevant skills to become rich. Such include skills to build businesses and earn passive income.

Step 3. Use money to become a shareholder of different companies that are pursuing my vision or create a company from ground up. At this stage, I will be doing high return in investment deals whilst realising my vision.

Step 4. Inspire people.

Step 5. Become fulfilled.

My problem comes with Step 1. What course should I undertake so that my skills may align with what I want to do later on in life?
( After I become rich )

I am currently taking my General Curriculum Education Ordinary Level Examinations this year. I remain undecided on which course to take next year in a Polytechnique. Although I am have inclined towards pursuing the Poly career path, I am still open to consider applying for Junior College.

Here is why I do not want to apply for JC. Don't read if you don't have to. It's long.
I am currently against apply for Junior College due to the academic rigour and the rote learning that happens there. Although critical thinking skills and subject competency is cultivated at a much deeper level in JC, I do not believe that it will benefit me all that much. After all, I want to employ and not be employed. I already despise Secondary School education. It leads me to think that the education system is flawed. All you are doing for Secondary School ,and presumably JC, is mindlessly downloading algorithms into the brain to usually never use it again. In Secondary School, we are forced to memorise information, at least for the sciences, and regurgitate it out. Others judge your academic capacity based on how well you can memorise and vomit it out on paper. THIS IS NOT what the scientific method is and not how I want to learn. I used to love science with a heated passion. But after getting into a high stress environment of O level prep, the three sciences I am studying suddenly has become dull and mundane, because of the sheer amount of information to memorise. Compounding the stresses of Co-curriculum activities like sports competition, it makes for a disaster for someone who has no motivation or drive to do well. Of course, there are other factors that contribute to how well someone could cope with such an environment but I shudder to think how JC will be like if I already dislike secondary school life. Maybe my interest for science will get crushed out of me. Don't get me wrong, I was a hard worker and am capable of being diligent but this is nearly impossible when the education system robs you of your reason and interest to study in the first place. The only area where I can truly engage in my best work is in projects because a clear vision, mission and goal is identified. With those, I can study willingly and many times more effectively with much more efficacy as compared to being forced to study. If JC life is just an exacerbated version of upper secondary school life, I do not want to attend JC. I concede that the path I want to pursue requires one to be highly competent in the relevant fields of study as pioneering work requires top-notch-calibre skills. However, I can still acquire skills even without formal education like how Elon Musk learned rocket science through books and mentors. The key here is for me to be willing to study, which is unlikely in JC. Nonetheless, I can adapt to JC life if I absolutely have to through a series of habit building but I would like to abstain from JC if possible.

I want a lot freedom with my time during tertiary education to develop other skill sets outside the ones predetermined by the institution. For example, I want to develop my artistic talent for digital art whilst also studying for a curriculum I am interested in like Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Sciences, e.t.c. I would also like to test the waters of entrepreneurship in poly. Since I am a triple sciences student in the final year of secondary school, I have passion for science, particularly for physics, but I'd could take any science related course if it aligns with my aspirations.

The problem is, what course should I take? I am thinking somewhere along the line of Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics. Although I do wish to become an entrepreneur, my primary interest is with science so I decided not to go for business courses. Will learn that externally.

I am looking for suggestions on which course I should take in poly. Bearing in mind my aspirations and interests, I would love to hear them and what I could stand to learn from it and apply what I learn in my chosen fields.

Cheers.
I really do admire your aspiration in becoming one of the most influential entrepreneur; I'd really do advice you to take one step at a time. There are lots of universities and scholars program that offers Science and Engineering courses that will aid your dream of becoming who you want to become in life. However, in my honest opinion, I'd suggest you follow your heart. Go with that ... you love so much.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:41 AM

RafiDGI is on a distinguished road

You have to determine what field you are in and try to meet the required skills by taking online training. If you work at someone else's company today, try applying for digital training to your boss and it will definitely come in handy in the future.