Mech Eng Fresh Grad Career path -> Technical/Management/others? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Mech Eng Fresh Grad Career path -> Technical/Management/others?

Old 31-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To hit and exceed 100k p.a. in engineering, one must be able to reach managerial role in the high valued engineering fields such as O&G or aviation.

It is possible, but need quite regular promotion and/or job change. The step up to manager is quite tough and usually must be achieved within the same company, i.e. through promotion.

If you look at the job ads for managers, usually they want somebody already with managerial experience, i.e. heading a team of people. So trying to become a manager by changing jobs is not so easy.

What is important for young people in the early stage of their career is to be able to recognize stagnation and jump ship to another company before it's too late and years of their life (and potential plus marketability wasted). If no promotion in 2 or 3 years, or see your peers promoted ahead of you - then it's better to just go, keep moving, instead of waiting and hoping to be noticed.

Wasting too much time in one company = never be able to reach or pass 100k p.a., not to mention 200k p.a.

I'm talking from my own experience whereby I wasted time on my previous job waiting and waiting thinking the next year will be my turn... finally switched to current job and was pleasantly surprised to find myself moved up regularly at last. Now earning double of my previous pay in the same number of years spent! And broke the 100k barrier, but took 15 years working... some years I won't get back.

If only I analyzed the situation and acted faster!
I do not think that only O&G and Aviation engineering managers are able to achieve 100kpa. There are many other engineering fields that are able to achieve that milestone.

I believe many senior engineers has certain level of experience in managing junior engineers and technicians. It is important for you to convince your interviewer that you have the capability to take the managerial role based on the limited experience as an senior engineer.

Anyway, I got promoted each time when I tendered my resignation letter. Both my ex-companies countered offer with a promotion and increment.

I have a friend who is a senior engineer in O&G earning close to 80kpa with 5 years of working experience. I believe he will hit 100kpa target within 1-3 years time with or without managerial position.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Verified Member

ss1 is on a distinguished road

I believe there is always opportunity out there in different fields, the question is which field provide a better opportunity

In that case, I shall say leadership skill is the critical one that judge your capability?

woo, normally hows the increment in the counter offer?

o&g still seems to be the great one, maybe I should really try first.
Thanks

Quote:
I do not think that only O&G and Aviation engineering managers are able to achieve 100kpa. There are many other engineering fields that are able to achieve that milestone.

I believe many senior engineers has certain level of experience in managing junior engineers and technicians. It is important for you to convince your interviewer that you have the capability to take the managerial role based on the limited experience as an senior engineer.

Anyway, I got promoted each time when I tendered my resignation letter. Both my ex-companies countered offer with a promotion and increment.

I have a friend who is a senior engineer in O&G earning close to 80kpa with 5 years of working experience. I believe he will hit 100kpa target within 1-3 years time with or without managerial position.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
I believe there is always opportunity out there in different fields, the question is which field provide a better opportunity

In that case, I shall say leadership skill is the critical one that judge your capability?

woo, normally hows the increment in the counter offer?

o&g still seems to be the great one, maybe I should really try first.
Thanks
first counter offer is 22% and 2nd counter offer is 26%

Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
first counter offer is 22% and 2nd counter offer is 26%
woo, higher than 20% consider good, congratz!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

I am a mechanical engineering graduate working in the oil & gas industry.

100k is definitely achievable with the following paths;

Working offshore, either as a service or field engineer or crew such as on vessels such as rigs, pipe-laying vessels etc. as the offshore allowance is very substantial. No issue to hit 10k per month easily. The drawback is if you have a family, it will be very tough cos' you will be spending lotsa time offshore and the offshore environment is tough. If you are single, i think it is okay to take this up for the 1st two to three years of your career. Spending time offshore on the field will boost your practical knowledge of how things are done and it will be beneficial when you move to a shore-based position.

Hitting the managerial grade in oil & gas companies. Should be achievable with 5 to 7 years of relevant experience. Can be done through promotions or job-hopping around competitors.

Joining some selected type of companies such asset owners such as rigs, FPSOs, offshore support vessels or petrochemical plant such as Exxon, Shell. For these companies, you don't have to hit the managerial grade. At the engineer grades, these companies should be able to hit 100k.

To hit 200k is tough. Can consider the following;

Climb up the corporate ladder by hitting director, GM, VP grade. This is tough. Need at least 10-15 of relevant experience.

Work as a contractor for huge capital projects such as an inspector, consultant, engineer etc. Will be a contract job but the day rate will be excellent.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice senior. However I wonder how can one get to offshore in 1-2 years? I suppose in order to go to offshore need to get some cert which cost damn x right? Besides how to get in oil and gas field when they don't hire fresh grad?

I've got an offer from a crane company. Pay not so high, but at least is marine related field. I wonder if this can get me into o&g field later on?

Quote:
I am a mechanical engineering graduate working in the oil & gas industry.

100k is definitely achievable with the following paths;

Working offshore, either as a service or field engineer or crew such as on vessels such as rigs, pipe-laying vessels etc. as the offshore allowance is very substantial. No issue to hit 10k per month easily. The drawback is if you have a family, it will be very tough cos' you will be spending lotsa time offshore and the offshore environment is tough. If you are single, i think it is okay to take this up for the 1st two to three years of your career. Spending time offshore on the field will boost your practical knowledge of how things are done and it will be beneficial when you move to a shore-based position.

Hitting the managerial grade in oil & gas companies. Should be achievable with 5 to 7 years of relevant experience. Can be done through promotions or job-hopping around competitors.

Joining some selected type of companies such asset owners such as rigs, FPSOs, offshore support vessels or petrochemical plant such as Exxon, Shell. For these companies, you don't have to hit the managerial grade. At the engineer grades, these companies should be able to hit 100k.

To hit 200k is tough. Can consider the following;

Climb up the corporate ladder by hitting director, GM, VP grade. This is tough. Need at least 10-15 of relevant experience.

Work as a contractor for huge capital projects such as an inspector, consultant, engineer etc. Will be a contract job but the day rate will be excellent.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

I'm not a mech engine grad, but I'm from one of the big O&G MNCs and have colleagues who are from mech engine background.

to reach 200kpa including bonuses in 10 years is definitely possible. I read someone say that it's not possible even if you are A+ performer. This is so NOT true. An A+ performer for 10 years will get you to 300kpa at the place I work.

Also, if you want to do well in a technical company, you better have technical experiences to back you up (unless you are in department such as procurement, HR, finance etc). You will often be surprised that people in the commercial department sometimes also come with technical background.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Verified Member

Thanks for the tips. Personally I would prefer to try procurement/tender or biz development related position. Does that bring nice pay too?

Yea, I do agree technical skill is important to survive in such company.haha

Quote:
I'm not a mech engine grad, but I'm from one of the big O&G MNCs and have colleagues who are from mech engine background.

to reach 200kpa including bonuses in 10 years is definitely possible. I read someone say that it's not possible even if you are A+ performer. This is so NOT true. An A+ performer for 10 years will get you to 300kpa at the place I work.

Also, if you want to do well in a technical company, you better have technical experiences to back you up (unless you are in department such as procurement, HR, finance etc). You will often be surprised that people in the commercial department sometimes also come with technical background.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Unregistered

I smell horseshit in this, fresh grad starting pay $3000 - In order to reach 300 k PA your monthly salary should be around 20k minimum + 3 month bonus(Incd AWS) will get you exactly 300K. Use a compound interest calculator u need around 21% increment yearly for 10 straight years to reach 20k/mth. In order to get 20 percent increment, you need to get promoted every single year.

In fact if you can get 10 percent yearly increment, you are a superstar already in engineering.

Fresh grads nowadays very smart, pls dont con them LoL

Quote:

Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I smell horseshit in this, fresh grad starting pay $3000 - In order to reach 300 k PA your monthly salary should be around 20k minimum + 3 month bonus(Incd AWS) will get you exactly 300K. Use a compound interest calculator u need around 21% increment yearly for 10 straight years to reach 20k/mth. In order to get 20 percent increment, you need to get promoted every single year.

In fact if you can get 10 percent yearly increment, you are a superstar already in engineering.

Fresh grads nowadays very smart, pls dont con them LoL
It's really up to you to believe it or not. I'm not forcing you to =)