Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Mech Eng Fresh Grad Career path -> Technical/Management/others?
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To hit and exceed 100k p.a. in engineering, one must be able to reach managerial role in the high valued engineering fields such as O&G or aviation.

It is possible, but need quite regular promotion and/or job change. The step up to manager is quite tough and usually must be achieved within the same company, i.e. through promotion.

If you look at the job ads for managers, usually they want somebody already with managerial experience, i.e. heading a team of people. So trying to become a manager by changing jobs is not so easy.

What is important for young people in the early stage of their career is to be able to recognize stagnation and jump ship to another company before it's too late and years of their life (and potential plus marketability wasted). If no promotion in 2 or 3 years, or see your peers promoted ahead of you - then it's better to just go, keep moving, instead of waiting and hoping to be noticed.

Wasting too much time in one company = never be able to reach or pass 100k p.a., not to mention 200k p.a.

I'm talking from my own experience whereby I wasted time on my previous job waiting and waiting thinking the next year will be my turn... finally switched to current job and was pleasantly surprised to find myself moved up regularly at last. Now earning double of my previous pay in the same number of years spent! And broke the 100k barrier, but took 15 years working... some years I won't get back.

If only I analyzed the situation and acted faster!
I do not think that only O&G and Aviation engineering managers are able to achieve 100kpa. There are many other engineering fields that are able to achieve that milestone.

I believe many senior engineers has certain level of experience in managing junior engineers and technicians. It is important for you to convince your interviewer that you have the capability to take the managerial role based on the limited experience as an senior engineer.

Anyway, I got promoted each time when I tendered my resignation letter. Both my ex-companies countered offer with a promotion and increment.

I have a friend who is a senior engineer in O&G earning close to 80kpa with 5 years of working experience. I believe he will hit 100kpa target within 1-3 years time with or without managerial position.