In need of career advice (Fresh Grad) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




In need of career advice (Fresh Grad)

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8
rustix is on a distinguished road
Default In need of career advice (Fresh Grad)

Hi guys, this is my first post and probably a very important one for me. I understand there are many established people in this forum and as such, have a lot of life experience to share with me.

I am currently in a dilemma in picking a career path for myself. First of all, allow me to introduce myself. I am an engineering student from NUS with a first class honours degree, have overseas experience and also internship experience in an oil and gas company.

I have trouble deciding in considering to enter the oil and gas industry as compared to signing on in the military as a local scholar. From what I have gathered is that the military offers a very competitive remuneration package and decent progression if performance is good. On the other hand, oil and gas companies also offers competitive packages in comparison to the private sector and also tons of exposure. Passion-wise, I would say I have about the same level of interests as they offer grounds that i can apply technical knowledge in.

What do you guys think? Should I take the plunge with the military or go for O&G?



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustix View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post and probably a very important one for me. I understand there are many established people in this forum and as such, have a lot of life experience to share with me.

I am currently in a dilemma in picking a career path for myself. First of all, allow me to introduce myself. I am an engineering student from NUS with a first class honours degree, have overseas experience and also internship experience in an oil and gas company.

I have trouble deciding in considering to enter the oil and gas industry as compared to signing on in the military as a local scholar. From what I have gathered is that the military offers a very competitive remuneration package and decent progression if performance is good. On the other hand, oil and gas companies also offers competitive packages in comparison to the private sector and also tons of exposure. Passion-wise, I would say I have about the same level of interests as they offer grounds that i can apply technical knowledge in.

What do you guys think? Should I take the plunge with the military or go for O&G?
Dude, oil & gas wins hands down. You want to join the military as local scholar? You know how many OS guys that are ahead of you on fast track? Seriously??

I strongly suggest you go talk to people actually working in the sectors concerned to get a realistic picture. Don't swallow what the recruiters tell you wholesale.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

easy, o&g

dont worry

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8
rustix is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dude, oil & gas wins hands down. You want to join the military as local scholar? You know how many OS guys that are ahead of you on fast track? Seriously??

I strongly suggest you go talk to people actually working in the sectors concerned to get a realistic picture. Don't swallow what the recruiters tell you wholesale.
So i suppose even my good academic grades counts for nothing against these scholars?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It is tough to compete with the scholars after you sign on. Your local 1st class honours will never be as good as someone with a similar degree from an overseas prestigious college. Sad but true.

I'm from the O&G industry, and what I can say is that the pay packages are competitive. I don't know exactly how much signed-on officers earn but I would think the O&G industry pays better. If you perform well, the sky's the limit in MNCs.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
warning can only hope to improve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know exactly how much signed-on officers earn but I would think the O&G industry pays better.
the starting pay for military for a first-class honours might be slightly higher, but if you are the ambitious type, your pay in o&g will easily surpass (and by a lot) your peers in the military in just a few years.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8
rustix is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is tough to compete with the scholars after you sign on. Your local 1st class honours will never be as good as someone with a similar degree from an overseas prestigious college. Sad but true.

I'm from the O&G industry, and what I can say is that the pay packages are competitive. I don't know exactly how much signed-on officers earn but I would think the O&G industry pays better. If you perform well, the sky's the limit in MNCs.
Do you have any figures to share perhaps? I have an interview with Shell in a few days time. I would really love to join them but my concern is that my degree as an Electrical Engineer might not enable me to be versatile in the O&G industry. Other than that I am keen.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustix View Post
So i suppose even my good academic grades counts for nothing against these scholars?
Fren, join the military if you like the way of life or if it is a calling. Just don't join it for reasons of using it as a shortcut to getting ahead. These scholars also got first class honours from Oxford, Cambridge, Havard and Stanford. Not that you will automatically be worse off, but you are at best on par with them. Good grades suggest high potential, but it is not a determinant of outcome.

I have many friends from the military, some in service, some not. Those that still in service are doing very well; those that are not are now in private sector. None of them that have come out have told me they regret and want to go back.

If you are indeed so driven and want to excel, the private sector will fit your needs best. So far all the responders who are O&G guys have all said the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustix View Post
Do you have any figures to share perhaps? I have an interview with Shell in a few days time. I would really love to join them but my concern is that my degree as an Electrical Engineer might not enable me to be versatile in the O&G industry. Other than that I am keen.
I don't think it will be a problem if your goal is to be a high performer looking to end up in senior management. Lack of chemistry or chemical engineering background is not a show stopper unless you are looking to pursue a hardcore specialist role in stuff such as hydrocarbon research or reactor/process engineering. There are a lot of business oriented roles within Shell that do not require specialist knowledge. A normal engineering background will be sufficient.

Don't be too fixated with numbers. Top tier performers will be well rewarded. Trust me, O&G is the one of the better paying sectors out there with good prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Friend. Military career is a calling, not a place to get rich.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting pay for fresh grad? k3vin Income and Jobs 19 30-03-2018 01:39 AM
Fresh Grad Needs Career Advice kelvinchua Income and Jobs 26 11-03-2014 12:40 AM
Advice needed from fresh grad: accept offer or wait? kitdia Income and Jobs 21 14-12-2013 02:38 PM
Stay or Go, Fresh Grad Seeking Advice Bangers&Mash Income and Jobs 17 08-04-2013 06:10 PM
fresh grad investments larry Investments and Net Worth 10 19-11-2011 07:13 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,530 Replies, 2,595,133 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,777 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,750 Replies, 268,412 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,085 Replies, 498,432 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
665 Replies, 209,980 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,290 Replies, 905,948 Views
Android, iPhone and iPad Apps For...
2 Replies, 2,315 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 12,264 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 478 Views
HR Career advice
2 Replies, 1,328 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
5 Replies, 3,273 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,089 Replies, 5,574,803 Views
Can share your your car...
1 Replies, 108 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 12,635 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,906 Replies, 1,082,738 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 796,571 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,292 Replies, 1,903,412 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 74,895 Views
need some info on CNB
0 Replies, 108 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
335 Replies, 263,085 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,183 Replies, 966,938 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,653 Replies, 1,603,271 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,379 Replies, 563,863 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 15,237 Views
Interviews related ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,050 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 7,987 Views
As a web designer, how much should... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 9,685 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2