Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Job difficulty with malaysian colleague

Old 08-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Verified Member

Brats is on a distinguished road
Default Job difficulty with malaysian colleague

need some Advice.
I'm in a small office, 5 people in all. Working here for 5 years already.

I used to be the second highest in the office, then my boss quit. And my junior also quit. My boss's boss and her boss retired. All vanished at one go.

So they recruited 2 new people - the new boss I now report to, and another colleague, who came in at a higher level. So I am actually now the most junior (not counting the clerk).

This new colleague is malaysian. Right from the day he came in he's been trying to assert superiority over me. It started out as him demanding that I give him access to an IT system in his first week. When I said we need to go through the relevant protocol to grant access, he complained to the new boss, who then gave me a face and demanded, "you do AH. you better DO."
like I'm the troublemaker.

Then during meetings, when the topic was about the work my job description says I oversee, he'd jump in and dominate the topic and just not let me say anything. WHen it came to the difficult technicalities (it's an IT topic) he'd just clam up and let me talk. But when it came to the overarching steering, he'd take it upon himself to steer the conversation.

Over the last year he'd be busybodied and taking it upon himself to do the work that I'm still doing, even though I'm still doing it. I feel he's trying to gain attention so that he can request to take over and give his work to me instead, because his work is less desirable.

Most recently, I spent one week drafting a big project proposal, and he was totally not involved. But in the final day before the deadline, I had to attend a funeral and was out. Then the biggest boss asked a question, and he jumped in to reply. This gives them the impression that he's the one who did all the work, doesn't it?

I can't bring this up to the new boss because I know they're trying to get rid of me. They probably see me as old blood standing in their way.

Anyone else has Malaysian colleagues who behave this way?

Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brats View Post
need some Advice.
I'm in a small office, 5 people in all. Working here for 5 years already.

I used to be the second highest in the office, then my boss quit. And my junior also quit. My boss's boss and her boss retired. All vanished at one go.

So they recruited 2 new people - the new boss I now report to, and another colleague, who came in at a higher level. So I am actually now the most junior (not counting the clerk).

This new colleague is malaysian. Right from the day he came in he's been trying to assert superiority over me. It started out as him demanding that I give him access to an IT system in his first week. When I said we need to go through the relevant protocol to grant access, he complained to the new boss, who then gave me a face and demanded, "you do AH. you better DO."
like I'm the troublemaker.

Then during meetings, when the topic was about the work my job description says I oversee, he'd jump in and dominate the topic and just not let me say anything. WHen it came to the difficult technicalities (it's an IT topic) he'd just clam up and let me talk. But when it came to the overarching steering, he'd take it upon himself to steer the conversation.

Over the last year he'd be busybodied and taking it upon himself to do the work that I'm still doing, even though I'm still doing it. I feel he's trying to gain attention so that he can request to take over and give his work to me instead, because his work is less desirable.

Most recently, I spent one week drafting a big project proposal, and he was totally not involved. But in the final day before the deadline, I had to attend a funeral and was out. Then the biggest boss asked a question, and he jumped in to reply. This gives them the impression that he's the one who did all the work, doesn't it?

I can't bring this up to the new boss because I know they're trying to get rid of me. They probably see me as old blood standing in their way.

Anyone else has Malaysian colleagues who behave this way?

Yes. But not Malaysians..I encountered before, keep want to play this kind of game... Its the pinoys, they like to take credit and very good at boot licking.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

TS if you cannot even resolve basic problems in a 5 man co. after working so many years then my suggestion is to either move to a slow moving public org. or go freelance. What you are describing really is petty until don't know what to say.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Verified Member

so what do you suggest i should have done? Keep quiet and let people steal credit? Or warn them and be seen as the troublemaker?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

You should learn to be humble, peaceful, altruistic. Prove with your capability with real action.

Quote:
so what do you suggest i should have done? Keep quiet and let people steal credit? Or warn them and be seen as the troublemaker?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

that gets one nowhere and always will be at the bottom of the pecking order even when you're 60 and going to retire

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

And your current method will enable you to rise to the top of the pecking order?

Did you not get your current situation? Your entire office up and down all left, you are the only one left. By right, you should have been promoted to head the whole office. Instead, they hire people above you just to manage you.

Instead of talking about stealing credit here and there, why can't you just do your job right? People first day start work, no access to IT system how to work?

Your job is to expedite the process, you give excuses. What go thru relevant protocol? No wonder the new boss tell you to better do it. You ARE a troublemaker.

You not in, big boss ask question, of cos your colleague answer. What is there to bring up?

Really is very petty.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Verified Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. He doesn't need access to the IT system at all. It is totally not in his job scope, even to today. The IT system is all about viewing confidential info.

And the part about him replying when I'm not in? I was physically not in, but on my laptop remotely the whole day. And he knew I was checking mail, he just saw an opportunity to jump in.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
that gets one nowhere and always will be at the bottom of the pecking order even when you're 60 and going to retire
You are already at the bottom of the pecking order and your behavior is exactly what is expected of a bottom end loser.

Either fix your lousy work attitude or prove yourself elsewhere in the market. It's simply ridiculous to work for years already in a micro setup and still bitching over totally trivial matters.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear. He doesn't need access to the IT system at all. It is totally not in his job scope, even to today. The IT system is all about viewing confidential info.

And the part about him replying when I'm not in? I was physically not in, but on my laptop remotely the whole day. And he knew I was checking mail, he just saw an opportunity to jump in.
this sort of boliao thing u also can rant until need to ask for advice on forums, no matter ur manager need to micromanage...