Negotiating salary for NUS Officer position (Malaysian) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Negotiating salary for NUS Officer position (Malaysian)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
technicolor is on a distinguished road
Default Negotiating salary for NUS Officer position (Malaysian)

Hello,

I just accepted an offer as an officer in an academic department at NUS, and currently we are in the middle of salary negotiation process. I am Malaysian and I have bachelor's and master's degrees, both from US universities. I also have a couple years of working experience.

I am not well-versed on pay scale in Singapore, so I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on what would be an acceptable salary, after taking living cost into account? I had 3.5K as my expected salary when I was applying for the position, but it is still negotiable.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
Hello,

I just accepted an offer as an officer in an academic department at NUS, and currently we are in the middle of salary negotiation process. I am Malaysian and I have bachelor's and master's degrees, both from US universities. I also have a couple years of working experience.

I am not well-versed on pay scale in Singapore, so I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on what would be an acceptable salary, after taking living cost into account? I had 3.5K as my expected salary when I was applying for the position, but it is still negotiable.

Thank you!
If you already accepted the offer, isn't it too late to talk about pay now? How much was the offer?

I think 3.5k is too high for officer level unless you have relevant experience. 3.5k is the low end of Assistant Manager already (very inflated titles in NUS) or close to max for officer.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
technicolor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you already accepted the offer, isn't it too late to talk about pay now? How much was the offer?

I think 3.5k is too high for officer level unless you have relevant experience. 3.5k is the low end of Assistant Manager already (very inflated titles in NUS) or close to max for officer.

I'm quite confused with the ranks actually. The position name is "officer", but they also indicated that it is "manager-level".

They have only sent me an informal offer, so there is still time to negotiate until they release an official offer.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
I'm quite confused with the ranks actually. The position name is "officer", but they also indicated that it is "manager-level".

They have only sent me an informal offer, so there is still time to negotiate until they release an official offer.
It is normal to give an informal offer and wait for you to accept before sending the official offer documents in most recruitment. If you already accept it, it is considered very rude to go back now and ask for more. It is within your right to do so, but be careful of the repercussion.

As for "manager-level" I'm not sure what it means, but anyone who has a basic degree w/o experience joins them as officer, so it is equal to private sector of fresh grad executive. If that is what they mean by "manager-level", then I think is highly misleading.

One thing is NUS admin office has highly inflated job titles. Even their Director pay and responsibility is more like a manager in the outside world. I cannot imagine how an officer can be considered manager.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This OP also very funny, NUS offer cannot even give your 3.5k and anyhow smoke you that this is a manager and you actually half-believe them. If everybody innocent like you I think recruiter job very easy.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2016, 07:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This OP also very funny, NUS offer cannot even give your 3.5k and anyhow smoke you that this is a manager and you actually half-believe them. If everybody innocent like you I think recruiter job very easy.
What's so funny about it? The minimum salary to get an EP is 3.3K, so 3.5K is still within a reasonable reach, even though it's on the high end of NUS officers salaries.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's so funny about it? The minimum salary to get an EP is 3.3K, so 3.5K is still within a reasonable reach, even though it's on the high end of NUS officers salaries.
Different poster. I think poster on top was referring to the fact that he was offered only 3.3k, lower than most fresh grads and still believe that he is a manager in NUS.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Different poster. I think poster on top was referring to the fact that he was offered only 3.3k, lower than most fresh grads and still believe that he is a manager in NUS.
Out of curiosity -- what is the average salary of fresh grads in SG? I'm from Indonesia and currently planning to get a job there.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-2016, 04:23 PM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 471
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

if I am fresh grad, want to work in NUS as hostel officer

what is the reasonable pay?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
nus

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NLB Library Officer Salary? Talrak Income and Jobs 1 28-06-2017 12:11 AM
Forensic Technical Officer Salary? Guest57 Income and Jobs 1 11-04-2016 12:23 PM
Salary for Financing Solutions Manager Position kamiru Income and Jobs 2 20-03-2012 07:37 PM
Salary for Environmental Control Officer (ECO)? omega Income and Jobs 5 01-03-2012 02:06 PM
Malaysian in financial industry buffetstyle Income and Jobs 0 28-05-2011 05:31 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 432,182 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,208 Replies, 3,931,135 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,388 Replies, 1,166,154 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,389 Replies, 330,582 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,156 Replies, 3,147,108 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,167 Replies, 2,882,611 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
558 Replies, 214,494 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,842 Replies, 9,603,666 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
340 Replies, 110,008 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 142,738 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,569 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
384 Replies, 181,272 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 180,576 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,633 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,039 Replies, 7,123,284 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 143,012 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,139 Replies, 954,293 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
1 Replies, 277 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 284,670 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 68,255 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 290,332 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,493 Replies, 723,824 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,283 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,136 Replies, 438,715 Views
How to make money online as a...
2 Replies, 1,424 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 113,744 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,470 Replies, 2,530,421 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
559 Replies, 232,373 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
727 Replies, 204,421 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,278 Replies, 2,111,636 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2