Pls help! Product control role still worthwhile? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Pls help! Product control role still worthwhile?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
handclips is on a distinguished road
Default Pls help! Product control role still worthwhile?

I have roughly 4 yrs experience in banking ops and was recently considering moving into product control role.

Looking at past articles, product control roles are being offshored heavily from singapore. Is it still worthwhile to enter the sector now and gain the experience?

Let's say i get 2 to 3 yrs of product control experience, where can i move on from there?

Pls help


Last edited by handclips; 08-07-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: P1
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclips View Post
I have roughly 4 yrs experience in banking ops and was recently considering moving into product control role.

Looking at past articles, product control roles are being offshored heavily from singapore. Is it still worthwhile to enter the sector now and gain the experience?

Let's say i get 2 to 3 yrs of product control experience, where can i move on from there?

Pls help
Product control is just another subset of banking ops, like all ops job the danger of being offshored is high due to lack of market value & high wages compared to India & Philippines.

If you want to really reduce the risk of retrenchment and move up in banking, you need to move into fo or coe space. Otherwise no matter how you jump around within ops space offshoring will always be a high risk.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
handclips is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Product control is just another subset of banking ops, like all ops job the danger of being offshored is high due to lack of market value & high wages compared to India & Philippines.

If you want to really reduce the risk of retrenchment and move up in banking, you need to move into fo or coe space. Otherwise no matter how you jump around within ops space offshoring will always be a high risk.
Thanks! What you said really makes sense but unfortunately i do not have the skillset or connections to make it out of ops.

My intention was to gain some accounting experience from product control and perhaps move into an accounting role outside banking. Is this a feasible option?

Also, are roles like settlements or documentation equally risky in terms of offshoring as well? I have seen banks offshore their BO roles from time to time

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

young people who work in product control like to deceive their friends and themselves that they are holding a really cool job in the banking industry
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclips View Post
Thanks! What you said really makes sense but unfortunately i do not have the skillset or connections to make it out of ops.

My intention was to gain some accounting experience from product control and perhaps move into an accounting role outside banking. Is this a feasible option?

Also, are roles like settlements or documentation equally risky in terms of offshoring as well? I have seen banks offshore their BO roles from time to time
If you already CPA certified then you can always seek an entry level accounting job outside the banking industry, no need to go through PC route in banking. If you do not have CPA or other relevant accounting cert, then it does not matter whether you have PC exp or not as other companies will not hire you as an accountant.

All BO / ops jobs are always susceptible to moderate to high risk of offshoring no matter which bank or function you support. It's a russian roulette to see if you are at the wrong place wrong time. FOs retrenchment is risky during downturn, but most have high salaries and bonuses in good years to buffer. COE is as safe as you can get in banking, but as the name implies you need to have deep specialism in niche areas.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you already CPA certified then you can always seek an entry level accounting job outside the banking industry, no need to go through PC route in banking. If you do not have CPA or other relevant accounting cert, then it does not matter whether you have PC exp or not as other companies will not hire you as an accountant.

All BO / ops jobs are always susceptible to moderate to high risk of offshoring no matter which bank or function you support. It's a russian roulette to see if you are at the wrong place wrong time. FOs retrenchment is risky during downturn, but most have high salaries and bonuses in good years to buffer. COE is as safe as you can get in banking, but as the name implies you need to have deep specialism in niche areas.
What does COE stand for?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
handclips is on a distinguished road
Default

Actually how abt internal audit? Is this something product control can hope to move into?

I'll really appreciate if u have some examples of roles that product control experience is useful for

I dont know who u guys are, but thanks for the replies!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Product control in Singapore market rate? d211uk Income and Jobs 5 30-04-2017 12:28 AM
Credit Control officer (Citibank) tianzui Income and Jobs 18 23-01-2015 10:35 AM
Bank: Product control vincentchean Income and Jobs 5 17-11-2012 08:43 PM
Is it worthwhile taking up a scholarship for an overseas education? Simba Income and Jobs 8 09-10-2012 10:18 PM
Salary for Environmental Control Officer (ECO)? omega Income and Jobs 5 01-03-2012 02:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,297 Replies, 1,908,639 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 841 Views
Ceca
1 Replies, 100 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,106 Replies, 5,586,614 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,916 Replies, 1,085,592 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,473 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 3,489 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,667 Replies, 1,608,147 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
379 Replies, 250,997 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 22,245 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,620 Replies, 2,613,104 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,786 Replies, 272,543 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 287,902 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 14,055 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
159 Replies, 76,176 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
688 Replies, 211,909 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,633 Replies, 784,176 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,191 Replies, 971,323 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,144 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,135 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 92,799 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 565,121 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,194 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 543 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,426 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,967 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,453 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,568 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 500,200 Views
Can share your your car...
2 Replies, 249 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2