Really that bad for engineers? - Page 9 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 29-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Got idea liao.

One way to get rich is to start those "trade your way to riches" and "get rich through ebay" seminars, and target those stupid and naive engineers who think there really are such simple and risk-free short-cuts to get rich.

Sell them a dream and you get rich yourself while they continue to 'spend lots of time and thousands of dollars to attend "trade your way to riches" and "get rich through ebay" seminars'.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

Default re: passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Unregistered View Post
It is with complete honesty and evident internal and external experiences when I say "follow your passion".

It is a concept that many successful (by his/her own measure) struggled with, so you aren't alone.

Perhaps you could ask yourself few, but not limited to, simple questions and expand them further.

* What would you do if money isn't an issue?
* Are you investing personal time and effort to build on depth and variety in your field, not because of money, but of curiosity, challenge and fun?
* If your work isn't quite your passion, what steps have you taken to fulfill your passion?
* Could you bridge your passion and work?

Passion often goes unnoticed. Nonetheless, it could also be developed. Read wide and randomly (foreign literature). If you stumble onto something interesting, go deep. You'll be rewarded.
Well said! This is probably the best advice I've come across in this forum.

May I also add that while following your passion can be very tough (in terms of finance and of its contrarian nature) in the short term, it can be rewarding in the long term...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

after reading all this.

i was thinking, wat type of ppl are the one who complain in sg?
i juz grad, working 7days per week with 1 day rest every mth in marine industry.
i felt tat it is sucky and complain to all my frens abt it
but to think of it, some ppl working under me from india are have 1/3 my pay but having a master degree.

this make me wan to stay in my coy and see if there is a future for me
as i noe tat sg coy noe that sgp are not as smart as FTs hence i think wat they want from us is to be leaders to lead those FT in sg. what we need are good ability to handle situations hence to stay employed in an engineering firm.

for most of my seniors, those who are willing to study and get a master or higher are being paid 8k per mth, taking up more courses to value add their status.

btw if $$ is wat u would like for fresh grad, u can sign on as naval engineer. 2nd lower 3.8k per mth. with sailing allowances. but a sail can b up to 6mths or more. the question is are we able to handle it? if we wan to have good life, high pay, good benefits. any career is lousy.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
after reading all this.

i was thinking, wat type of ppl are the one who complain in sg?
i juz grad, working 7days per week with 1 day rest every mth in marine industry.
i felt tat it is sucky and complain to all my frens abt it
but to think of it, some ppl working under me from india are have 1/3 my pay but having a master degree.

this make me wan to stay in my coy and see if there is a future for me
as i noe tat sg coy noe that sgp are not as smart as FTs hence i think wat they want from us is to be leaders to lead those FT in sg. what we need are good ability to handle situations hence to stay employed in an engineering firm.

for most of my seniors, those who are willing to study and get a master or higher are being paid 8k per mth, taking up more courses to value add their status.

btw if $$ is wat u would like for fresh grad, u can sign on as naval engineer. 2nd lower 3.8k per mth. with sailing allowances. but a sail can b up to 6mths or more. the question is are we able to handle it? if we wan to have good life, high pay, good benefits. any career is lousy.
aim to be a minister. or even better, be the president. earn millions as a ceremonial head.
Old 18-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

probably my first and last time here.
Interesting threads here!

I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering(mechatronics) from NTU 4 years back with just a pass and no honors. Sad isn't it? and with of course, a load of loans and debts behind me. Initially, like many others, looked for engineering jobs. But was unsuccessful, sent out many CV, but do not get much favorable replies.

Then, one day, got a call from a company doing offshore stuffs, looking for a technician. Haha.. yeah, engineer got demoted to a technician, but hell yeah, the pay was good (in future).

Work was very tough, and I often get bullied by colleagues due to inexperienced or ask silly things. Very often, thought of quitting. Starting rate was 1200 SGD and 60 USD day rate.

But I persisted. Did not give up. Continue learning and upgrade my technical knowledge and skills. I could not even do a simple repair on leaking fittings or soldering. Why?

We, engineers were trained in the theories/leading/problem solvings/read drawings/draw drawings/autocad etc, not soldering/hook up wirings/troubleshoot wirings without drawings/replace rams/ change out blown fuses/operate winches/perform load tests etc.

Engineers are good at planning/looking at pictures, but when it comes to problem solvings in the real world, sad to say, engineers are no good - good at talking only or come up with impractical solutions. How many times have u heard of someone commenting "oh, those engineers at base should thought of how difficult it is to insert this bolt into the hole with no access..."

Now, all these that I said, I was just trying to make the point across that, the world is very practical! The more capable you are, the more you are paid. Capable in the sense are you able to bring in profits for the company? From your professional knowledge/skills etc? If you are in the finance side, are you a onlooker/follower or are you a trend setter?

U pay peanuts, u get monkey.. Want more money? There is always a limit for engineers (normal engineers). In the world outside singapore, the world technology for technical expertise is not only engineering, but can also be surveyors, meterologists, drillers, client site reps, divers, RCs, etc and etc.

p/s: yeah i m from the oil/gas industry
Old 18-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Engineer pay

The people who earn the most are generally not the most intelligent. Get an MBA and move into management. Or join a bank. They like engineers. Good brain more important for banks.

Old 21-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oil and gas, my dear fellow engineer.
Oil and Gas is dangerous right? BP Mexico explosion dunno how many died?
Friend took me need to take helicoptor got Offshore to inspect few days few nights. The higher pay is like combat allowance for commandos.......
Old 21-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Default Engineering is very bad

Looking at the above posts, conclude engineering is very very bad and risky.

Oil & Gas is very risky field. Hands-on level to make $ is against Robert Kiyosaki Rich Dad's advice. You are there to risk you precious life making this $$. People from other faculty, kopi kopi their way to earn 20k-30k a month. Entirely unfair........ skills/no skills aside. Their skills are kopi kopi taichi taichi skills......... better than IpMan.

Look at the VPs of listed companies, what they do everyday? Skillful or not?

We should stop making Engineering Faculty a dumping ground, attract top students, encourage President Scholars to study engineering, limit the no. of engineering grads. Number not cap, very hard............ very hard to survive in this line.

Lastly, start your own business. Don't think about jobs. Employers always want to save $$$ to answer to shareholders. Don't expect them to pay you well every year. CEO change only everyone shaken up, SVP's heads all rolling around. Everybody start looking for jobs elsewhere.

Just do it... Start business lah......
Old 29-09-2010, 11:46 AM
AspiringEngineer

Default very interested in engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSG View Post
If you are willing to put a few years of hard work after Uni with crappy pay; then travel a bit and not bother too much about the 5C's in your 20's you will not go wrong with engineering.
The fact is an engineering grad is not an engineer, (doesnt matter what uni) you have to have experience, the instant gratification society we live in means that grad pay is important. Ask yourself after you finish a degree are you bothered whether as an accountant you get 1K more a month - where are those people in 10 years time. 90% of them will be on 3% PA pay rises tops. After 10 years experience my take home pay doubled every 2 to 3 years.
There is an enormous shortage of experienced engineers worldwide and this is only getting worse. I was a welder, then a QC inspector, (got my degree in mech eng and became chartered part time) worked as a project engineer, tried the corp thing and hated it, back to being an engineer. I now command a day rate of US$1200 per day (I am over 40) and continue to travel the world doing interesting and challenging jobs.
Up to you if you want a decent safe existence in singapore where you move from cubicle to office, to office with window, office with window and PA yawn yawn then go into banking but you will be up against 95% of other people
If you are willing to travel, enjoy the sense of accomplishment out of building things or making them work and find the whole corp ladder / rat race bizzare then go for engineering.
you advice is very useful, thanks =) i'm firm that i want to take up engineering now, as i love to travel and take on new challenges =) would it be too much to ask, which field of engineering you are in that enables you to travel so much? possible to disclose which company you are with that offers such challenging environment?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

Default No la

Quote:
probably my first and last time here.
Interesting threads here!

I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering(mechatronics) from NTU 4 years back with just a pass and no honors. Sad isn't it? and with of course, a load of loans and debts behind me. Initially, like many others, looked for engineering jobs. But was unsuccessful, sent out many CV, but do not get much favorable replies.

Then, one day, got a call from a company doing offshore stuffs, looking for a technician. Haha.. yeah, engineer got demoted to a technician, but hell yeah, the pay was good (in future).

Work was very tough, and I often get bullied by colleagues due to inexperienced or ask silly things. Very often, thought of quitting. Starting rate was 1200 SGD and 60 USD day rate.

But I persisted. Did not give up. Continue learning and upgrade my technical knowledge and skills. I could not even do a simple repair on leaking fittings or soldering. Why?

We, engineers were trained in the theories/leading/problem solvings/read drawings/draw drawings/autocad etc, not soldering/hook up wirings/troubleshoot wirings without drawings/replace rams/ change out blown fuses/operate winches/perform load tests etc.

Engineers are good at planning/looking at pictures, but when it comes to problem solvings in the real world, sad to say, engineers are no good - good at talking only or come up with impractical solutions. How many times have u heard of someone commenting "oh, those engineers at base should thought of how difficult it is to insert this bolt into the hole with no access..."

Now, all these that I said, I was just trying to make the point across that, the world is very practical! The more capable you are, the more you are paid. Capable in the sense are you able to bring in profits for the company? From your professional knowledge/skills etc? If you are in the finance side, are you a onlooker/follower or are you a trend setter?

U pay peanuts, u get monkey.. Want more money? There is always a limit for engineers (normal engineers). In the world outside singapore, the world technology for technical expertise is not only engineering, but can also be surveyors, meterologists, drillers, client site reps, divers, RCs, etc and etc.

p/s: yeah i m from the oil/gas industry
I see. What advice would you have for us still in NTU? I don't want us to end up all as technicians. Our uni has follown to 174 in rank, sibei jia lat liao. Don't want others to kan bu qi NTU liao.