Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 18-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

probably my first and last time here.
Interesting threads here!

I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering(mechatronics) from NTU 4 years back with just a pass and no honors. Sad isn't it? and with of course, a load of loans and debts behind me. Initially, like many others, looked for engineering jobs. But was unsuccessful, sent out many CV, but do not get much favorable replies.

Then, one day, got a call from a company doing offshore stuffs, looking for a technician. Haha.. yeah, engineer got demoted to a technician, but hell yeah, the pay was good (in future).

Work was very tough, and I often get bullied by colleagues due to inexperienced or ask silly things. Very often, thought of quitting. Starting rate was 1200 SGD and 60 USD day rate.

But I persisted. Did not give up. Continue learning and upgrade my technical knowledge and skills. I could not even do a simple repair on leaking fittings or soldering. Why?

We, engineers were trained in the theories/leading/problem solvings/read drawings/draw drawings/autocad etc, not soldering/hook up wirings/troubleshoot wirings without drawings/replace rams/ change out blown fuses/operate winches/perform load tests etc.

Engineers are good at planning/looking at pictures, but when it comes to problem solvings in the real world, sad to say, engineers are no good - good at talking only or come up with impractical solutions. How many times have u heard of someone commenting "oh, those engineers at base should thought of how difficult it is to insert this bolt into the hole with no access..."

Now, all these that I said, I was just trying to make the point across that, the world is very practical! The more capable you are, the more you are paid. Capable in the sense are you able to bring in profits for the company? From your professional knowledge/skills etc? If you are in the finance side, are you a onlooker/follower or are you a trend setter?

U pay peanuts, u get monkey.. Want more money? There is always a limit for engineers (normal engineers). In the world outside singapore, the world technology for technical expertise is not only engineering, but can also be surveyors, meterologists, drillers, client site reps, divers, RCs, etc and etc.

p/s: yeah i m from the oil/gas industry