Ways to increase income - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Ways to increase income

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
poorguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Eh I am not expecting people tp teach me how to make money but share how they are making extra money outside their day jobs

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
poorguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Different poster.

This is like playing with CFDs, win some lose some. I won't classify that as additional monthly income. 40k too small to make passive income, best way is to take up additional jobs like driver, property/insurance sales, tuition, blog shops etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. Are you doing any of these with success?

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Concentrate on your career first... Ask people to share money making story online is a waste of time and you will still be poor.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Crowdfunding, especially those that are reputable and have done their due diligence. Examples include New Union
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi poor guy,

Don't waste your money and time. Go find a part time job such as part time taxi driver, dog walker, coffee shop assistant, part time retail assistant, etc.

Another way is to upgrade your skills so that you can get a better paying job and focus on career.

Yours sincerely,
Rich guy


Quote:
Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

For me, I am selling put options on some stocks that I do not mind holding.
However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I lecture part time. Get $100/hour. Comparable to locum Doctors.. Not bad..
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

For me, I am selling put options on some stocks that I do not mind holding.
However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy
The eaton fund you are buying does not pay out dividend of 10% yield (i.e. 7% net). What it does is buy into some dividend stocks then sell call options of the underlying securities and payout the dividends + option proceeds to investors.

The drawback of this technique is that it will never get capital appreciation from the underlying securities as anytime the stocks go above strike the option holders will exercise their rights and the fund will be forced to liquidate at lower price. However when the price of the underlying stocks go down, the fund has no counter balance in hedges and will absorb the full write downs.

Long term effect is you have high dividends and deprecating unit price. The fund has dropped by close to 60% since inception due to falling NAV. Out of the 10% yield, I estimate only ~3% are real dividends, the remaining is just round about capital returns. This is not something newbies with little money should be buying.

My 2c.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
poorguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I lecture part time. Get $100/hour. Comparable to locum Doctors.. Not bad..
Care to share your qualification and how you got the job?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I do a bit of part time online projects for startups, usually can make 30-40k extra a year.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This OP is c0ckhead of the year.

Such funds are special setups that cater to niche US investors to lower effective total tax rate compared to just buying direct.

In Sg we have no withholding, capital gains, cross-balancing or income tax credits. He end up donating 30% of capital gain to the US treasury vs invest normally and paying 15% standard tax on liquidation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The eaton fund you are buying does not pay out dividend of 10% yield (i.e. 7% net). What it does is buy into some dividend stocks then sell call options of the underlying securities and payout the dividends + option proceeds to investors.

The drawback of this technique is that it will never get capital appreciation from the underlying securities as anytime the stocks go above strike the option holders will exercise their rights and the fund will be forced to liquidate at lower price. However when the price of the underlying stocks go down, the fund has no counter balance in hedges and will absorb the full write downs.

Long term effect is you have high dividends and deprecating unit price. The fund has dropped by close to 60% since inception due to falling NAV. Out of the 10% yield, I estimate only ~3% are real dividends, the remaining is just round about capital returns. This is not something newbies with little money should be buying.

My 2c.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 practical ways to save money admin Education and Personal Growth 0 22-10-2015 09:57 PM
Ways To Increase Your Income From Your Job admin Income and Jobs 0 03-04-2014 12:23 PM
CPF Withdrawal: 2 Ways Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 34 16-08-2009 04:56 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,779 Replies, 1,647,996 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
73 Replies, 63,783 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,724 Replies, 774,410 Views
Reference Checks: Does SG HR... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 62,050 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 183,334 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 52,439 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
99 Replies, 34,389 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 27,638 Views
Bunker trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 18,848 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,777 Replies, 4,961,854 Views
Singapore CPF Calculator
4 Replies, 1,938 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,637 Replies, 453,847 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,868 Replies, 1,276,788 Views
MCI and IMDA ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,804 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,212 Replies, 960,815 Views
Parc Canberra EC
0 Replies, 66 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
773 Replies, 393,165 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,367 Replies, 517,064 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
811 Replies, 749,104 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 31,714 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,785 Replies, 1,933,754 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 241,625 Views
Thinking of doing an IT... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 33,848 Views
Optimum Solutions ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,555 Views
Anyone from Bank of America... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,228 Views
how to earn money at this age? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 14,306 Views
Career in facilities/property....
5 Replies, 379 Views
Salary Increment Rate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 227,094 Views
Career Advice for a Computer...
6 Replies, 401 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2