Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

front office - career advice

Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Word.

Yeah i dont see how it is cool. So the 3 local unis are target schools for big 4. Big whoop. Not even real finance. Its not like they are the london schools (imperial, lse, ucl) that are target schools for the global banks and IB shops. In the US biz schools, the top tier firms also do on campus recruiting. The difference is that they are Goldman sachs and Lazard, not pwc.

Lastly, u overestimate the no of local uni biz students going to good MA or grad programmes. Id say about 20-30%? Majority also go to middling stat boards or GLCs.

Btw im not in finance, so this is an objective outsiders perspective.
Please don't come here and bulls***! You obviously don't study at an overseas university. PWC/Deloitte Consulting regularly recruits candidates from the top 10 US business school. The big 4 Management consulting post mba start their kids on USD135k not including sign on and year end bonus. Please go and read the employment reports before talking s*** and name-dropping brand name firms.

The big 4 in SG is really not the same firm as those big 4 in the US/UK. The consulting arms in London/US take the very best candidates in each cohort and pay them competitive wage (benchmark against tech & IBD).

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 AM
Unregistered

Yeah consultancy in Big 4 pays as well as IB for fresh grads. Friend just got an offer.

Anyone knows how does the likes of GS, JPM, MS, CS, UBS, Nomura, BNP etc view a UK grad from a semi-target school in the UK? Below LSE UCL Warwick Oxbridge.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Unregistered

^

In addition, I'm a first year in uni still, secured a summer internship in big US asset management firm. Applied for AM, but they pushed me for a MO role. Not sure why, maybe because I'm a first year still or my qualifications, idk. AM or IB is a dream.

Anyone knows any firms that will take in first years for a position that is more FO? As 99% of the firms don't have any programs for first years, only penultimate year students.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 04-01-2016, 06:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
^

In addition, I'm a first year in uni still, secured a summer internship in big US asset management firm. Applied for AM, but they pushed me for a MO role. Not sure why, maybe because I'm a first year still or my qualifications, idk. AM or IB is a dream.

Anyone knows any firms that will take in first years for a position that is more FO? As 99% of the firms don't have any programs for first years, only penultimate year students.
Just focus on securing spring weeks atm, any other experience will be beneficial. IMO if you're interested in IBD, go somewhere to get some corp Fin. exp (doesn't matter if its lower tier), it will be very useful as you will be more prepared to impress in your summer internship.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just focus on securing spring weeks atm, any other experience will be beneficial. IMO if you're interested in IBD, go somewhere to get some corp Fin. exp (doesn't matter if its lower tier), it will be very useful as you will be more prepared to impress in your summer internship.
Thanks for the reply. Have sent out apps to all the firms that have spring weeks available, 1 interview, few rejections, but still waiting for most of them to reply. So, so competitive how a 4 days intern can have 1000+ applicants for 40 places, for a mid-tier bank.

Have cold emailed quite a few firms(mainly the small shops) in SG and UK for corporate finance experience, mostly no replies or they don't offer...will keep trying.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah consultancy in Big 4 pays as well as IB for fresh grads. Friend just got an offer.

Anyone knows how does the likes of GS, JPM, MS, CS, UBS, Nomura, BNP etc view a UK grad from a semi-target school in the UK? Below LSE UCL Warwick Oxbridge.
Are you sure he/she is your friend if she lies to you? Big 4 consultancy pays as well as IB? Even a back office IT/Ops job at a local bank pays 10-20% higher than any entry level in Big 4. I would imagine a IB position would come in at about 50% higher.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Definitely not in Singapore. Big 4 consultancy pay in Singapore is ridiculously low, about $2.8k. I know this for a fact because I interact with these so called "consultants" at job interviews, and boy do they want to job hop!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you sure he/she is your friend if she lies to you? Big 4 consultancy pays as well as IB? Even a back office IT/Ops job at a local bank pays 10-20% higher than any entry level in Big 4. I would imagine a IB position would come in at about 50% higher.
Management Consulting in Deloitte S&O/ Big 4 is extremely well paid and highly regarded in London/US.

://managementconsulted.com/consulting-salaries/2015-management-consulting-salaries-undergraduate-mba-interns/

The Singapore big 4 really isn't representative of the big 4 in the US or even London. In the US, Deloitte S&O has become more prestigious than oliver wyman, LEK, At kearney. Granted the preferred firms are still MBB, but this is definitely a giant stride forward as S&O/big 4 are now increasing competing in the same space.

The IB firms do not pay better than the big 4 consulting post-mba. IBD start kids on 110kUSD. All the big 4 MC arm start their kids at USD135. It is clearly a far different world out there.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Management Consulting in Deloitte S&O/ Big 4 is extremely well paid and highly regarded in London/US.

://managementconsulted.com/consulting-salaries/2015-management-consulting-salaries-undergraduate-mba-interns/

The Singapore big 4 really isn't representative of the big 4 in the US or even London. In the US, Deloitte S&O has become more prestigious than oliver wyman, LEK, At kearney. Granted the preferred firms are still MBB, but this is definitely a giant stride forward as S&O/big 4 are now increasing competing in the same space.

The IB firms do not pay better than the big 4 consulting post-mba. IBD start kids on 110kUSD. All the big 4 MC arm start their kids at USD135. It is clearly a far different world out there.
Dude, I am not going to fact check your numbers. Maybe you're some big 4 consulting kid but this is SINGAPORE, and this is SALARYSG. I can also point out to you that O&G pays extremely well in the US with crazy lavish perks that make those in Singapore look like candy snacks.

I can objectively say that big 4 consulting in Singapore is a joke. Deloitte, PWC, what have you. Please don't come and BS everyone, especially with regards to the caliber of people they employ and the crap work they do.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 04-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dude, I am not going to fact check your numbers. Maybe you're some big 4 consulting kid but this is SINGAPORE, and this is SALARYSG. I can also point out to you that O&G pays extremely well in the US with crazy lavish perks that make those in Singapore look like candy snacks.

I can objectively say that big 4 consulting in Singapore is a joke. Deloitte, PWC, what have you. Please don't come and BS everyone, especially with regards to the caliber of people they employ and the crap work they do.
Hey dude, I'm agreeing with you that the people they hire are BS in Singapore. I'm just making the point that they are not really the same firm around the world. Besides, you need a brand-name university to get into consulting in the first place, so you can't blame the caliber that they hire when all they get to choose from are NUS/NTU etc.