Management trainees in hotels - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Management trainees in hotels

Old 18-08-2015, 01:08 AM

warang3l is on a distinguished road
Default Management trainees in hotels

Hi all, I've found out that many hotels offer "Management Trainee" positions for university graduates that provides ample exposure in different departments in a hotel. Does anyone have any idea what are the average salary that hotel chains like Shangri La and Marriott are paying? Many thanks!

Old 18-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by warang3l View Post
Hi all, I've found out that many hotels offer "Management Trainee" positions for university graduates that provides ample exposure in different departments in a hotel. Does anyone have any idea what are the average salary that hotel chains like Shangri La and Marriott are paying? Many thanks!
because of their customer facing industry, hotels have 1 of the most inflated title for jobs out there with all sorts of managers & directors. dun read too much into the "mgt trainee" part as most diploma holders can also become some sort of mgr there after few years.

Old 18-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
because of their customer facing industry, hotels have 1 of the most inflated title for jobs out there with all sorts of managers & directors. dun read too much into the "mgt trainee" part as most diploma holders can also become some sort of mgr there after few years.
Hi, thanks for the insight. All along I've perceived mgt trainee program to be a faster path towards advancement opportunity. However, I'd still like to know the industry average for that position if possible. Thanks!

Old 18-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the insight. All along I've perceived mgt trainee program to be a faster path towards advancement opportunity. However, I'd still like to know the industry average for that position if possible. Thanks!
Mgt trainee concept in hotels is quite different from other prestigious programs by P&G, Unliever, Shell, GSK etc or the MAP of various banks. I would classify hotel programs as more equivalent to structured training regime rather than a specific program to promote high flyers. No doubt some high performers will be identified during the program, but the primary purpose is OJT/apprenticeship.

Base on my exp, hospitality basic & bonus is generally 10-15% below most other industries. But they do get various perks & allowances that many places do not have, so maybe it all adds up in the end.

If you ignore the titles, I would say by and large career & pay advancement as a hotel trainee isn't that different compared to joining as fresh grad execs/officers in other companies. For e.g. as a deg grad, you may be "promoted" to some type of floor shift manager in 3 years, but the pay will still be 3.5-4k, which is no different compared to a grad who join as exec then get promoted to snr exec after 3 years.
Old 18-08-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Mgt trainee concept in hotels is quite different from other prestigious programs by P&G, Unliever, Shell, GSK etc or the MAP of various banks. I would classify hotel programs as more equivalent to structured training regime rather than a specific program to promote high flyers. No doubt some high performers will be identified during the program, but the primary purpose is OJT/apprenticeship.

Base on my exp, hospitality basic & bonus is generally 10-15% below most other industries. But they do get various perks & allowances that many places do not have, so maybe it all adds up in the end.

If you ignore the titles, I would say by and large career & pay advancement as a hotel trainee isn't that different compared to joining as fresh grad execs/officers in other companies. For e.g. as a deg grad, you may be "promoted" to some type of floor shift manager in 3 years, but the pay will still be 3.5-4k, which is no different compared to a grad who join as exec then get promoted to snr exec after 3 years.
I see, thanks for the reply. Final question, for the hotel industry, are there any differences in terms of the mode of entry? For instance, when it comes to opportunities, will there be any difference between someone who entered via a management trainee program vs someone who started off as a guest relations officer? Assuming both have the same credentials and performances.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see, thanks for the reply. Final question, for the hotel industry, are there any differences in terms of the mode of entry? For instance, when it comes to opportunities, will there be any difference between someone who entered via a management trainee program vs someone who started off as a guest relations officer? Assuming both have the same credentials and performances.
Unlikely. Anyway GRO is not a good comparison with a deg grad trainee program as GROs are mostly from Shatec/poly. More like if you join a trainee program for 2-3 years then eventually become guest service manager will it be different from another deg grad who join as procurement exec then promote to procurement snr exec then the answer is no, pay & promotion about the same. Only difference is the customer front office job has a bigger title, but everyone in the industry know is common practice anyway.

Usually the more hotel floor operations type of jobs fresh grads will be hired as mgt trainees undergoing a scheduled program while more generic support back office jobs like finance, procurement, marketing, biz dev etc. will be hired straight off as execs. Details vary from hotel to hotel so hard to say for sure, but usually is like that.

Old 19-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

mt in a hotel quite easy to get in one lah. every year i see so many hotel hiring for so many mt position
Old 20-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Unlikely. Anyway GRO is not a good comparison with a deg grad trainee program as GROs are mostly from Shatec/poly. More like if you join a trainee program for 2-3 years then eventually become guest service manager will it be different from another deg grad who join as procurement exec then promote to procurement snr exec then the answer is no, pay & promotion about the same. Only difference is the customer front office job has a bigger title, but everyone in the industry know is common practice anyway.

Usually the more hotel floor operations type of jobs fresh grads will be hired as mgt trainees undergoing a scheduled program while more generic support back office jobs like finance, procurement, marketing, biz dev etc. will be hired straight off as execs. Details vary from hotel to hotel so hard to say for sure, but usually is like that.
Thanks for answering all the queries, it's been a great help!

Quote:
mt in a hotel quite easy to get in one lah. every year i see so many hotel hiring for so many mt position
True, there are many brands available. Only gets difficult when going for the more popular ones.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Intern (across multiple functions)
Starwood Hotels
linkedin.com/jobs2/view/76649596
Old 22-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Jec

Talking

Hello, I'm considering to take management trainee position upon my private u graduation soon as well.. Was wondering if ts or any other people can share their salary package? Pm me if too sensitive..? Thanks