Career as Teacher - Page 63 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #621 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is it possible to take part-time masters while teaching? I understand there is a list of approved masters, but there are some criteria like minimum 2 years of teaching etc. What if you want to study something else by yourself? Need whose approval?

Reply With Quote
  #622 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it possible to take part-time masters while teaching? I understand there is a list of approved masters, but there are some criteria like minimum 2 years of teaching etc. What if you want to study something else by yourself? Need whose approval?
It's possible. There's some criteria, which I can't recall now. You'd probably need the P's approval, although I have heard of cases where the teachers didn't declare they were taking the Masters. But you'd have exams, and might need to take leave, so the P would know eventually.

I'm also interested to know actually, and what kind of masters programme do teachers take. Most teachers simply take masters from NIE, which I would not be very interested in.

Reply With Quote
  #623 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's possible. There's some criteria, which I can't recall now. You'd probably need the P's approval, although I have heard of cases where the teachers didn't declare they were taking the Masters. But you'd have exams, and might need to take leave, so the P would know eventually.

I'm also interested to know actually, and what kind of masters programme do teachers take. Most teachers simply take masters from NIE, which I would not be very interested in.
I took a masters degree in chemistry at NTU and there were a secondary school teachers who was in my cohort.

She subsequently quit teaching though to help her husband biz once we graduated even though she had been a teacher for more than 10 years.

Reply With Quote
  #624 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 32
JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it possible to take part-time masters while teaching? I understand there is a list of approved masters, but there are some criteria like minimum 2 years of teaching etc. What if you want to study something else by yourself? Need whose approval?
It is definitely possible. You can either take it through PDL (Professional Development Leave) subjected to Principal's approval, or take it on your own and apply leave as and when you need to.

If you're thinking of part-time, my recommendation is that you talk to the P about it. After all, the P needs to approve your leave for exams anyway. Usually my friends who take part-time masters that is outside of NIE, are just waiting out their bond while getting a masters, so that they will have a master's qualification when they leave service.

However, if you are thinking of moving to the leadership track (superscale etc.) or HQ positions, you should consider Masters offered by NIE, as that will probably escalate you faster.
Reply With Quote
  #625 (permalink)  
Old 24-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oct Promotion

Is there a promotion exercise in Oct? If there is by when will we know if we are promoted or not?
Reply With Quote
  #626 (permalink)  
Old 25-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There are officers who get promoted in Oct, but these are usually made known by Apr together with the other Apr promotions. I remember getting a letter (through Principal) that basically said something to the extent of "you will get promoted this Oct unless you screw things up".

So if you haven't heard anything by now, think you'll have to wait for next year…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is there a promotion exercise in Oct? If there is by when will we know if we are promoted or not?
Reply With Quote

  #627 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are officers who get promoted in Oct, but these are usually made known by Apr together with the other Apr promotions. I remember getting a letter (through Principal) that basically said something to the extent of "you will get promoted this Oct unless you screw things up".

So if you haven't heard anything by now, think you'll have to wait for next year…
Hmmm so mean those unique cases that got two promotions in a year would have known them both in apr?
Reply With Quote
  #628 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No double promotions for individual officers. What I mean is that every year, all promotees (whether getting in Apr or Oct) should know by Apr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmmm so mean those unique cases that got two promotions in a year would have known them both in apr?


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #629 (permalink)  
Old 29-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default allied educator application

Hi
I have applied for MOE allied educator and right now I am waiting for interview outcome. May I know last time how did MOE inform you of the offer? is it through sms or email ?THank you !
BW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Densher View Post
Hi,

I'll be graduating from UniSim in a few months time. I major and minor in teaching subjects cos I intend to apply to be a moe teacher.

I actually applied for a teacher post few years ago but was rejected and applied for the allied educator position instead. I was selected and worked as an AED for 4 years.

I suppose with a degree and 4 years of teaching experience, I would be a better candidate for their selection. Besides, I had experience setting exam papers and conducting independent classroom teaching in the school.

However, this is already the 5th week and I haven't received any calls. I am really disheartened.

What should I do?

Densher
Reply With Quote
  #630 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No double promotions for individual officers. What I mean is that every year, all promotees (whether getting in Apr or Oct) should know by Apr.
Promotion increment is up on Pac Gov
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 01:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 22-07-2010 12:21 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 53,710 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,741 Replies, 489,181 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,591 Replies, 975,484 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,893 Replies, 1,746,839 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,043 Replies, 1,380,102 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,170 Replies, 203,234 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
614 Replies, 310,320 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 45,000 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,254 Replies, 1,018,119 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,853 Replies, 3,610,606 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 7,758 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,768 Replies, 829,722 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
382 Replies, 170,529 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement...
8 Replies, 2,756 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
288 Replies, 226,495 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,375 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
832 Replies, 418,749 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,865 Replies, 2,103,730 Views
Need career advice
4 Replies, 785 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
9 Replies, 1,161 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 21,759 Views
Career switches - job options and... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,353 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 71,152 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,370 Replies, 538,803 Views
Job search for returning...
1 Replies, 326 Views
Infineon Technologies
1 Replies, 249 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,065 Replies, 473,576 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 76,708 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 13,677 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,554 Replies, 1,221,018 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2