Job application form have you ever been detained by police in court of law - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Job application form have you ever been detained by police in court of law

Old 07-06-2024, 11:09 PM
Verified Member

dreamlander is on a distinguished road
Default Job application form have you ever been detained by police in court of law

Hi, this is my first time posting a question here. Hope I posted at the right thread.

In a job application form, there was this yes or no question regarding "have you ever been detained by police or other enforcement agencies" ?

More than 15 years ago, my friend was detained by police for petty theft (less than $10) at cantonment police hq. A day later, he did appear in front of a judge who wore a black robe (someone with authority) in a small office at cantonment police hq, and the judge did say that was his first time, the court shows leniency so there won't be any police record, unless he commit again.

There was no conviction, no police record in the first place, but he was detained by police before.

So now my friend is applying for a hospital job, social worker and has to fill up the form for the upcoming job interview.

(1) Do you think he should click yes or no to that question?

(2) Although there was never a conviction nor a police record in the first place, do companies HR actually have the ability to find out (background check) whether a job applicant was arrested or detained before? Even if he has a clean record?

At the bottom of the application form, it says application can be disqualified or any later appointed roles dismissed (something along this line) if any false statements were made.

Please, any HR people or lawyers, share your views. thank you

Old 07-06-2024, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlander View Post
Hi, this is my first time posting a question here. Hope I posted at the right thread.

In a job application form, there was this yes or no question regarding "have you ever been detained by police or other enforcement agencies" ?

More than 15 years ago, my friend was detained by police for petty theft (less than $10) at cantonment police hq. A day later, he did appear in front of a judge who wore a black robe (someone with authority) in a small office at cantonment police hq, and the judge did say that was his first time, the court shows leniency so there won't be any police record, unless he commit again.

There was no conviction, no police record in the first place, but he was detained by police before.

So now my friend is applying for a hospital job, social worker and has to fill up the form for the upcoming job interview.

(2) Although there was never a conviction nor a police record in the first place, do companies HR actually have the ability to find out (background check) whether a job applicant was arrested or detained before? Even if he has a clean record?

At the bottom of the application form, it says application can be disqualified or any later appointed roles dismissed (something along this line) if any false statements were made.

your friend or you? 😂😂😂😂😂

Old 08-06-2024, 05:19 AM
Verified Member

Hi Unregistered,

You seem very active in this forum, can you please share your insights regarding this topic?

Thanks

Old 08-06-2024, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

my friend = dreamlander
dreamlander = my friend
Old 08-06-2024, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

your friend or yourself?
don't need to be shy
be truthful and honest
Old 08-06-2024, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
your friend or yourself?
don't need to be shy
be truthful and honest
Nothing to share don't post la... waste people's time.

Old 08-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nothing to share don't post la... waste people's time.
u sound sorhai tbh
dey

original threadstarter has some misconception/flawed understanding in the whole story
and if he/she is the one that is the so-called friend in question, just be honest and frank to own up

rather than using a fictitious friend to front the whole question
Old 08-06-2024, 04:22 PM
Verified Member

So just an update,

my friend checked his criminal records through the Singapore police e-portal to see whether if he has any criminal records or any criminal records "spent".

It seems like he does not have a criminal record to begin with. However he was detained before by police for petty shoplifting (less than $8) but was shown leniency by someone who seemed like a judge in an office,

so he is wondering

1) if he should tick " yes or no " in the the application for that question whether he has ever been arrested or detained by police.

2) Does Singapore companies HR department has that far reaching ability to find out from the Singapore Police Force whether a job candidate has ever been detained or arrested by police in the past, even if he has no criminal records?

Anyone with relevant insights or similar experience, please share...thank you

Below is what was indicated in his eportal status rendered spent section

With effect from 17/10/2005, the Registration of Criminal Act allows the record of a minor conviction kept in the Register of Criminals to be rendered spent if the person has met the specified criteria.

This amendment however does not apply to you as you may either do not have any criminal record or your criminal record is not eligible to be marked as rendered spent.
Old 08-06-2024, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So just an update,

my friend checked his criminal records through the Singapore police e-portal to see whether if he has any criminal records or any criminal records "spent".

It seems like he does not have a criminal record to begin with. However he was detained before by police for petty shoplifting (less than $8) but was shown leniency by someone who seemed like a judge in an office,

so he is wondering

1) if he should tick " yes or no " in the the application for that question whether he has ever been arrested or detained by police.

2) Does Singapore companies HR department has that far reaching ability to find out from the Singapore Police Force whether a job candidate has ever been detained or arrested by police in the past, even if he has no criminal records?

Anyone with relevant insights or similar experience, please share...thank you

Below is what was indicated in his eportal status rendered spent section

With effect from 17/10/2005, the Registration of Criminal Act allows the record of a minor conviction kept in the Register of Criminals to be rendered spent if the person has met the specified criteria.

This amendment however does not apply to you as you may either do not have any criminal record or your criminal record is not eligible to be marked as rendered spent.
likely the so-called judge u mention in your earlier paragraph
is the DPP that AGC has sent to various land divisions as part of Ministry initiative to expedite on clearing cases
not a judge cos the only times one get to see the judge in person (not a cherished occasion) is when he need to appear in court to answer to the charge and whether claim trial, PG...that itself will be another topic for the day

in general
case investigation done and IP put up to AGC to determine on appropriate course of action
AGC will then direct the law enforcement agency to proceed with

a) formal court charge (appear in state courts for 1st mention for example)
b) issue stern/written warning in lieu of prosecution
c) no further action taken

from looks of it, likely your "friend" got away with (b)?
and depend on job nature etc, HR has discretion to conduct necessary screening/background checks on the applicant/candidate...so likely if need to screen, sure will prowl the cyberspace, and the likes of MSD, ISD and CRO etc for any dark secrets that the applicant didn't truthfully declare in the app form
Old 08-06-2024, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

the declaration qn is so weird, normally organisations will only ask 'have you ever been convicted or charged before'?

spent record is as good as no record. you are not charged or convicted.

even if your HR check with law enforcement agencies, there will be no record.

hence, for 'have you ever been convicted or charged before?', an applicant can legally put No.

you can google spf spent record for more info.

unless you are applying for a job in the uniformed organisations, i wld say dun need to think so much.