Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Job application form have you ever been detained by police in court of law
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2024, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlander View Post
Hi, this is my first time posting a question here. Hope I posted at the right thread.

In a job application form, there was this yes or no question regarding "have you ever been detained by police or other enforcement agencies" ?

More than 15 years ago, my friend was detained by police for petty theft (less than $10) at cantonment police hq. A day later, he did appear in front of a judge who wore a black robe (someone with authority) in a small office at cantonment police hq, and the judge did say that was his first time, the court shows leniency so there won't be any police record, unless he commit again.

There was no conviction, no police record in the first place, but he was detained by police before.

So now my friend is applying for a hospital job, social worker and has to fill up the form for the upcoming job interview.

(1) Do you think he should click yes or no to that question?

(2) Although there was never a conviction nor a police record in the first place, do companies HR actually have the ability to find out (background check) whether a job applicant was arrested or detained before? Even if he has a clean record?

At the bottom of the application form, it says application can be disqualified or any later appointed roles dismissed (something along this line) if any false statements were made.

Please, any HR people or lawyers, share your views. thank you
your friend or yourself?
don't need to be shy
be truthful and honest