Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 22-04-2024, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
**** you acca dogs la. cannot get a degree sun to sunway get some bs ACCA direct crap come here flood the market

shitty technical skills, even shittier english
I will report you to police. I can file a police report for your post here.

Old 22-04-2024, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see. I have 3yoe in b4 audit but still couldn't land any interview except for those "accounting-hybrid" ones. Maybe most of the job ads these days are looking for experienced FP&A not juniors.
Last year, I landed FP&A AM role w 6+ YOE, (basically a title downgrade but pay upgrade).

Your CV is important - its basically what will land you the interview to begin with, after that its how you sell yourself to say this is how you can value add. FP&A isn't really that different from audit which is how so many people made the switch in the past.

The real issue is
1) a good majority of auditors are crap nowadays, and the world knows it. the client has been dealing with auditors since the beginning of time and has seen quality fall off a cliff. (just look at how the quality of posts in this forum has eroded over time)
2) there are more people coming out of grad joining FP&A directly to avoid the audit hellhole resulting in lesser openings (or why more roles require FP&A exp)

Old 22-04-2024, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
**** you acca dogs la. cannot get a degree sun to sunway get some bs ACCA direct crap come here flood the market

shitty technical skills, even shittier english
if you are a good auditor you will realise that for this to happen, the industry must have let it happen, if audit quality was really so important everyone would have prevented it from happening. fact is, the audit partners margins were more important, and thus, this is the consequence. theres no reason for you to be salty. supply simply just met demand.

and to the previous guy talking about RMA, not sure whats the purpose since that is only relevant if you want to be a public accountant. But anyway that can make a sweeping statement like that will probably not even get any referees to be come a PA

Old 22-04-2024, 04:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Last year, I landed FP&A AM role w 6+ YOE, (basically a title downgrade but pay upgrade).

Your CV is important - its basically what will land you the interview to begin with, after that its how you sell yourself to say this is how you can value add. FP&A isn't really that different from audit which is how so many people made the switch in the past.

The real issue is
1) a good majority of auditors are crap nowadays, and the world knows it. the client has been dealing with auditors since the beginning of time and has seen quality fall off a cliff. (just look at how the quality of posts in this forum has eroded over time)
2) there are more people coming out of grad joining FP&A directly to avoid the audit hellhole resulting in lesser openings (or why more roles require FP&A exp)
How is the pay and hours for FP&A?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if you are a good auditor you will realise that for this to happen, the industry must have let it happen, if audit quality was really so important everyone would have prevented it from happening. fact is, the audit partners margins were more important, and thus, this is the consequence. theres no reason for you to be salty. supply simply just met demand.

and to the previous guy talking about RMA, not sure whats the purpose since that is only relevant if you want to be a public accountant. But anyway that can make a sweeping statement like that will probably not even get any referees to be come a PA

I am ACCA member. I can get referee to become PA from boss as I worked very long in the audit firm. That's why I'm hoping ISCA and ACCA can sign RMA.
Old 22-04-2024, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Should i start CPA Aus ? 7 module including captstone

I dont have CA SG right and i am not working in ATO right now.

Working in Commercial right now

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 22-04-2024, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm a boss in my 40s.

I'm afraid the young people in 20s doesn't want to work long hours.

By right, they should get use to working long hours.

Any bosses here?

Any ideas how to make young people in 20s to OT more?
Pay OT pay lah. Chao gian png cheapskate. Want people to work like dog but don’t want to pay
Old 22-04-2024, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you followed this thread since 2011, we have been advising people on the pros and cons since a long time ago. If you did your due diligence based on the best available information, there’s nothing to regret. If you didn’t do your homework and chose blindly, that’s on you.

Quite a few things happened in the last 5 years

Covid happened; and work from home gave everyone plenty of time to reevaluate what they want in life and what they expect from their employers. Hint: for most of us, this doesn’t involve working peak hours.

Gen Z also headed into the workforce, and unlike their millennial counterparts, they were no shy to call out the unpleasant hours:compensation and submitted their resignations when there is a mismatch in expectations. The staff crunch happened, and Big4 revised salary bands - more than once for some firms.

Words spread, either by this forum or Reddit or Discord, prospective A levels top scorers get turned off from the hours:compensation. Cue decline in cut off and student intakes.

At the same time, Tech became the new hotcake with firms aggressively offering talents a starting salary comparable to a Big4 manager. Where people shunned programming just a decade ago, now it’s became the attention of the room. Bonus that it doesn’t require to take additional exams after graduation.
*just come in to chit-chat, dun scold me pls*
Recently a lot of changes at ISCA so somehow Google brings me here. I was a very avrg student in the AAA batch, so ya im from old folks home. I missed the transitional arrangement batch by 1 year, so that makes me the 1st batch of elderly to need take SQP for ca sg. I was lost but still decided to just go straight into NTU acc because I do not know what else I can do back then. In the end didnt stayed long in audit because its brutal, lol. In fact some of us oldies still continue to do accounting coz we do like the subject la, as long the OT not as brutal as audit its fine. We millennials guai guai de.

So being financially poor and always feeling tired after work, even till now, of coz I didnt took the SCAQ la. Hahas. But, a bit of resentment will still be there in our heart about this transition to scaq. Back then, really very intense leh no joke... We fought so hard in poly/jc need many A's to get into ntu acc which then our parents and relatives will be proud of us lol... In the end, quite sudden the year got enrolled into uni also got the news where we were slapped with what i rmb was like 6 papers + 3 yr ATO of sqp to earn our title. If rmb correctly, pass rate was like 40% back then when it first started. We kept quiet all these while, at night hide in blanket cry sometimes lo, if nvr take and dun have CA Sg jiu dun have lo, nvm.

I think what we probably didn't expected is the accelerated downfall in attractiveness of the industry that is making us looking silly. Who would have expected covid accelerated the popularity of comp sci where the real pros go there now w much higher pay. Accounting really not very well paying if we are not partner/director/VP. Despite that, those years our ISCA/acra industry leaders still continue to hype on scaq and accountancy hub. In my own opinion, scaq was partly the reason this industry do not attract as many local uni grad as before and made its popularity worsen over the years. Scaq cohort intake is not even big.

My batch of grad most of us did not qualify for any exemptions, for me la. May be a few of my coursemate have Tax paper exemption, but if i rmb correctly, back then only 1 prof teach this advance tax mod so only those with fundamental tax score A then can take this advance tax mod. Back then really not much words abt such exemption thingy, Scaq was really not popular last time. I don't think many of my batchmates have made it to get their ca sg. I know of a few failed, gave up and left audit long ago but do not know what they doing now.

My batches, we were like the product of the unattractive scaq, we saw all the declines then only recently they put in all these effort and measures to make it more manageable for younger cohorts to bridge the gap between efforts vs rewards. But yea most of these measures like exemptions or accelerated pathways dun applies to us, we can only find comfort in conversation like this and kiss goodbye our ca sg title.

I think now tell us pass rate 70% we also dont want take 5 scaq papers, crazy ah most of us by now married and have housework and baby to take care also leh. I told my bosses abt scaq and ATO, they asked me simi lai de, w a blur look. Coz their ca sg is via grandpa PAC 5 day course, lol.. Then they straight tell me they not interested so ask me get out of their office sia. If ur employer dun want be ATO, you change ur job in order to take scaq meh? Lol.

Isca won't give up on this ATO thing because thats the lifeline to lock new grads in big 4. But i doub't with this ATO criteria continue to be in place will make the new scaq any much attractive. Lol.

At the end of the day, I changed a few jobs alrdy but havent really met any employer that explicitly need me to have ca sg. Is it really that impt? Lol I dont know... Or maybe thats the reason I'm still way too far from becoming finance cfo/director/vp. Lol.
Old 22-04-2024, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Should i start CPA Aus ? 7 module including captstone

I dont have CA SG right and i am not working in ATO right now.

Working in Commercial right now
If you have the time, energy and money, why not?
Old 22-04-2024, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you have the time, energy and money, why not?
When you are young, you got time and energy but no money.
When you are adult, you got money and energy but no time.
When you are old, you got money and time but no energy.