SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 48 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

i dont understand why so many people want to put down sim grads, i think many nus ntu grads just enjoy looking down others even though the oxford cambridge is also looking down at them

Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Unregistered

Default Middle ground

2nd upper local grad/trader here. Here's what i think

1. I dunno why that idiotic SIM lecturer has to put down his own students here.

2. It's true that there are traders, FO ppl in IB from pte unis. It's just that the average local uni student is probably slightly smarter or at least more hardworking or motivated to do well than the average pte uni grad

3. I agree that whether one does well or not in pte sector, esp in banking sales, has not much to do with grades. Are pte uni grads more street smart? Maybe, hard to say. There are local uni grads who play all day and fail and those who play all day and are in Dean's list. But i think ladies from pte uni, on average, are prettier than local unis. And if im a private banking customer, SME towkay, or trader, i'll give my trade to the prettier, pte uni RM/broker over the smarter local uni grad. This is the real world.

Local/Pte uni grads each have their strengths.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Completely agree. That is why the areas of high banking finance is dorminated by private uni graduates who manage to outperform. Many of the SIM haters here probably lost out to a private uni colleague and spread lies and try to insult the school here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
3. I agree that whether one does well or not in pte sector, esp in banking sales, has not much to do with grades. Are pte uni grads more street smart? Maybe, hard to say. There are local uni grads who play all day and fail and those who play all day and are in Dean's list. But i think ladies from pte uni, on average, are prettier than local unis. And if im a private banking customer, SME towkay, or trader, i'll give my trade to the prettier, pte uni RM/broker over the smarter local uni grad. This is the real world.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

the fact many local u grads here are making negative remarks about pte grads shows that they are insecure and got self esteem problem, maybe career overtaken by a "inferior" pte grad.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

Not true.

In the same way, it is natural for Oxbridge and Harvard grads to look down on NUS/NTU people too. I can understand that. Just have to work harder to give them a run for their money.

Quote:
the fact many local u grads here are making negative remarks about pte grads shows that they are insecure and got self esteem problem, maybe career overtaken by a "inferior" pte grad.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
what is the point of the current discussion? Is it for SIM undergrads and even postgraduates to prove that they are on par with their NUS/NTU counterparts?

Everyone can argue until the cows come home. But ultimately, the truth is unequivocal. Ask yourself. How did you end up in SIM? Why did you not work hard in JC or why were you a mediocre student in Poly?

I am an adjunct lecturer in SIM and I recalled the Dean of Science and Technology saying "The students over here are not in the top 20% bracket. On the contrary, they fall into the other end of the spectrum."
Back when i was in SP, i have a diploma with merit friend who couldnt go on to uni like us as she has to start working to support family. after a few years, she went on to do a part time degree in SIM.

dun stereotype SIM grads as a whole, go and know the individual before you pass judgement. there are some good SIM grads from my own experience.

and i highly doubt you are a lecturer. he/she wouldnt post such stuffs in a forum. dean of science and technology? come on, there are no such courses in SIM as far as i know.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM
NUS grad

in the first place this thread is for SIM-UOL grads to share their starting salary.

I highly suspect the discussions started cos some kaypo NUS/NTU/SMU grads came in to take a look and was shocked to find that some SIM grads have a higher starting salary than them.

dun flame me but i think it is possible, for those NUS/NTU/SMU grads who cannot make it. back when i was in JC, some of them barely make it to local unis or try whatever ways to appeal to get in. when they are inside, they continue to slack like nobody's business.

Most of us (I was from NUS) know that we are getting a starting pay that is justifiable, only those who 'cannot make it' will start to 'quarrel' and bring down SIM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Unregistered

You really need to be more resourceful, poly dude.

School of Science & Technology

No one is putting down anyone. The Dean, who previously taught materials science in NTU, said that although the students may not be the brightest, they are very determined and yearned for a better life for the family. He then quoted the example of a hardworking student who, unfortunately, passed on after taking his exams.

Quote:
Back when i was in SP, i have a diploma with merit friend who couldnt go on to uni like us as she has to start working to support family. after a few years, she went on to do a part time degree in SIM.

dun stereotype SIM grads as a whole, go and know the individual before you pass judgement. there are some good SIM grads from my own experience.

and i highly doubt you are a lecturer. he/she wouldnt post such stuffs in a forum. dean of science and technology? come on, there are no such courses in SIM as far as i know.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Unregistered

Good.

Hardworking, humble and down to earth.

U will definitely be an asset to your company and give everyone else a run for their money.

I hope you succeed in life.

Quote:
Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.