Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 25-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont be a Joke please, if you say degree and working hard last time is not important, that's probably cos you were one of those. Good laugh for the morning.
All local degrees come with a minor in Bathroom Photography. Self-study huan

Old 25-10-2020, 11:24 AM
SG Worker

Quote:
Dont be a Joke please, if you say degree and working hard last time is not important, that's probably cos you were one of those. Good laugh for the morning.
He's not entirely wrong.

The degree is definitely important but mostly for the first job. It is also important as a salary benchmark since SG employers like to ask for past salary but that can change with a few promotions.

After the first job (at least a year or 2), it's really all about work experience. Nobody is gonna ask you what subjects you took in school or what honours you got after you got some relevant work experience. What they will ask you is just whether you have a degree and what projects you did in your past job to try, what systems you know how to use, whether you were promoted and how often in your past job, and try to gauge how relevant your past work experience is or how skilled you really are.

Afterall, school and work are really 2 different ball games even though HR will put more emphasis on the degree for selection when the candidates have no past work experience (i.e fresh grads or someone with little to none relevant past work experience).

In school, you are taught the method to get the answers and in exams, you are given questions that you then use those tried and proven methods you learnt to solve the problems. In fact, with sample past year exam papers that you see students practising with, the "way" to identify the problems and the suggested tried and proven methods are often already given so you have ample time to prepare beforehand.

In work, you may not even be taught a method (depends on your superior) or a method will already be given to you as company SOP (depends on your company - MNCs and ops role will have more red tape).

Oftentimes, problems are not given to you directly. You will have to identify the problem yourself and then come up with the method yourself if it is not already in company SOP. Even then, sometimes problems will be stacked on top of problems so you cannot get the perfect solution but will have to make do and adapt.

Solving problems with methods already in company SOP/given by others or solving problems that your boss give you is just gonna give you an okay career though most companies usually will still give you a promotion after a few years just to keep you staying even if you are just doing the expected. Not being able to solve problems even if you tried and tried can result in a job loss if it cost the company losses or if too frequent (depends on how forgiving your superior is). There are no method marks in work, only done or not done.

If you want the promotion then you need to identify problems in current processes where possible and/or take the risk to come up with new methods that does not completely violate company SOP or at least not illegal. If your method fail and cost company loss, your superior and you will likely have to answer for it (though some superiors may just throw you under the bus and pretend that they were not aware you were doing it that way). Anyway, this is often called "taking the initiative". This is also what some are less inclined to do because of "act blur live longer" and "can siam arrow then siam".

So, working hard in school and working hard at work is not really the same. The former requires practising the tried and proven path until you can do it easily while the latter often requires you to create a new path with risks attached if you want to be extraordinary.

Old 25-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Local u are losers

Went to private degree. SIM UOL Accounting and finance. Landed a job as auditor in big 4 and got same pay as those local U grads. Them being salty and competitive as usual, they were so jealous that of me. They studied hard since PSLE to get into good Sec schools and did well for O levels to get into good JC and did well for A levels to get into local U accountancy and did well for internship to get into big 4. Its kinda sad since i only studied 3 years in private U (i didnt really study hard too)

Sorry for the lack of commas, as u can see my english is not as good as local u kids. BUT i draw the same pay

Hahaha salty kids

Old 25-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Default I pity salty local u kids that waste their life studying

Study SIM UOL - go to big 4 (worst case scenario go to mid tier and jump - u may drop a rank but its only 1 year worth of effort provided u actually work hard haha)

Vs

Study hard all ur life and go to big 4

Only salty local u kids cant tell which is the easier route

Regards,
EQ > IQ
Old 25-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Study SIM UOL - go to big 4 (worst case scenario go to mid tier and jump - u may drop a rank but its only 1 year worth of effort provided u actually work hard haha)

Vs

Study hard all ur life and go to big 4

Only salty local u kids cant tell which is the easier route

Regards,
EQ > IQ
It's like walking into a house through the main door vs climbing in through the window.

LOL
Old 25-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

I'm confused, people actually bragging about a job with 2.8 starting salary? LOL

When I was in uni, I give tuition here and there with my A level cert I'm alr earning close to 1k a month. That's part time work of about 4-6 hours a week. You guys are really jokes LOL

Old 25-10-2020, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

getting into big 4 is easy, able to sustain urself to make it to partner or becoming a CFO outside should be the end goal. probably worth looking at the background of the partners and CFOs
Old 25-10-2020, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Default Salty local u kids

Here comes the salty local u kids that have nothing on me.

Im talking about fresh grad finding jobs and there u go whining about 2.8k, u must have been a local u kid that was rejected by big 4 before thats why u dont know about our current pay grade. Did ur position get stolen by private u kids? Your tuition story is totally irrelevant when it has no growth potential. Dont compare apple to pears, u lose immediately in this convo

Well if u inspire to be in the audit field, big 4 is the way to go. U reach 4.2k after 2 years. Good increment. Use the branding and leave for better roles.

Partners are just sales persons with connections to bring in more revenue, nothing special
Old 25-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

don't understand why you guys are bragging about getting into big 4. Enjoy accounting as a career in a sunset industry is all I can say .
Old 25-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Ya i dont understand why local u kids still want to enter big 4 nowadays. End up have to compete with private uni grads. Most of them still lose to us in terms of EQ. They end up not promoting because they anger the wrong people. Sad to have IQ only