Law vs Accountancy - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Law vs Accountancy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Cefiro22 is on a distinguished road
Default Law vs Accountancy

Hi all, I got into SMU Law and NUS Accounting last year. I chose NUS cos I heard that the law industry was pretty saturated.

My senior told me that things weren’t THAT bad (most can still find a job) and that the pay was probably much higher than studying accountancy.

Still, im assuming that I would probably score much higher in accountancy than law (law is much more competitive), so the pay won’t be that different.

Can anyone give me some advice? Will I be better off as a better-than-average accountant or an average lawyer? How about the working hours? (I think accountancy would be slightly better)

Thanks for any inputs!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefiro22 View Post
Hi all, I got into SMU Law and NUS Accounting last year. I chose NUS cos I heard that the law industry was pretty saturated.

My senior told me that things weren’t THAT bad (most can still find a job) and that the pay was probably much higher than studying accountancy.

Still, im assuming that I would probably score much higher in accountancy than law (law is much more competitive), so the pay won’t be that different.

Can anyone give me some advice? Will I be better off as a better-than-average accountant or an average lawyer? How about the working hours? (I think accountancy would be slightly better)

Thanks for any inputs!

The average lawyer earns more than average accountant.
Even at junior level, per hour law beats accounting.

In terms of AI replacing you, both are equally susceptible.

Accounting entry is easy, just an ACCA. Law is so much more difficult.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefiro22 View Post
Hi all, I got into SMU Law and NUS Accounting last year. I chose NUS cos I heard that the law industry was pretty saturated.

My senior told me that things weren’t THAT bad (most can still find a job) and that the pay was probably much higher than studying accountancy.

Still, im assuming that I would probably score much higher in accountancy than law (law is much more competitive), so the pay won’t be that different.

Can anyone give me some advice? Will I be better off as a better-than-average accountant or an average lawyer? How about the working hours? (I think accountancy would be slightly better)

Thanks for any inputs!
Both law and accounting are vastly different beasts.

It might sound like hollow advice at this stage (I'm assuming you rejected your spot in SMU?) but you really should choose based on whether you can see yourself practicing in either field, not job prospects, quality of life or starting salary - all these considerations are transient and temporary.

As a lawyer i for the love of God can't stomach a lifetime of staring at spreadsheets full of numbers. But that's just me. You may have a phobia of writing. It really depends on the individual.

Working hours wise the main difference is that you're going to have peak seasons and lull seasons in Big4, assuming that you take the conventional audit route. As a lawyer you are constantly fighting fires so there's no true high-key or low-key period. Your schedule is dictated by either the client or the court, so unpredictability is a greater issue.

Pay wise I really doubt scoring better in uni will give you in edge in accounting since all graduate audit hires start off on the same payscale, like most professional services firms. You could try aiming for more lucrative areas like IB with a first class but then again you could also do the same with a law degree.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Good advice here. Pick what you think you'll enjoy and excel at rather than what you feel will pay more or is perceived to be more glamorous. I went through the accounting route, am now the FC of a company and I must say I really enjoy my job. My wife happens to be a lawyer and it seems neither of us could live doing what the other one does - she simply can't deal with numbers or spreadsheets whilst I'd rather die than read the amount of words she does.

Money wise - We both earn good, comfortable salaries, over the years sometimes I've earned more and sometimes she has. We know people in both industries and I'd say the money can go both ways - we know some lawyers that make much more than the average accountant and some accountants that make much more than the average lawyer. Be prepared to work hard in the first few years for both fields, and I would say that straight out of university, lawyers do have higher starting salaries, but in the long-run I think it's really up to the individual. Overall I'd say they're both very rewarding careers with many long term options for growth and challenges but if I were you I'd do some serious thinking and pick something you think you'll enjoy for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Both law and accounting are vastly different beasts.

It might sound like hollow advice at this stage (I'm assuming you rejected your spot in SMU?) but you really should choose based on whether you can see yourself practicing in either field, not job prospects, quality of life or starting salary - all these considerations are transient and temporary.

As a lawyer i for the love of God can't stomach a lifetime of staring at spreadsheets full of numbers. But that's just me. You may have a phobia of writing. It really depends on the individual.

Working hours wise the main difference is that you're going to have peak seasons and lull seasons in Big4, assuming that you take the conventional audit route. As a lawyer you are constantly fighting fires so there's no true high-key or low-key period. Your schedule is dictated by either the client or the court, so unpredictability is a greater issue.

Pay wise I really doubt scoring better in uni will give you in edge in accounting since all graduate audit hires start off on the same payscale, like most professional services firms. You could try aiming for more lucrative areas like IB with a first class but then again you could also do the same with a law degree.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The average lawyer earns much more than the average accountant or an above average accountant. If you want to be a successful accountant, the path is to enter the big 4 and grind for a few years and exit to MNCs after. In that few years you will be earning below average salary. Even after joining MNCs it takes many years to scale up as well. Both profession requires heavy work hours but law pays much higher for certain in the first 5-10 years if you pass the bar and most likely earns more than most accountants beyond as well. But of course if you are better or prefer one significantly over the other, then compensation shouldn’t be the first priority. But if you are indifferent between them, law is a much better compensated career than accountancy
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2020, 12:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefiro22 View Post
Hi all, I got into SMU Law and NUS Accounting last year. I chose NUS cos I heard that the law industry was pretty saturated.

My senior told me that things weren’t THAT bad (most can still find a job) and that the pay was probably much higher than studying accountancy.

Still, im assuming that I would probably score much higher in accountancy than law (law is much more competitive), so the pay won’t be that different.

Can anyone give me some advice? Will I be better off as a better-than-average accountant or an average lawyer? How about the working hours? (I think accountancy would be slightly better)

Thanks for any inputs!
If money is a consideration don’t aim to be average. In both professions hours can be tough. Both degrees open doors so you might not become an accountant/lawyer.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Both professions are gruelling and the dollar per hour worked isn't particularly high, especially at the start of your career.

The best fields to earn astronomical sums in Singapore is still in high finance (IB/PE/S&T etc), the rest just don't really compare.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2020, 12:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Both professions are gruelling and the dollar per hour worked isn't particularly high, especially at the start of your career.

The best fields to earn astronomical sums in Singapore is still in high finance (IB/PE/S&T etc), the rest just don't really compare.
High finance per hour worked is dog **** bro. Not even talking about the stress from the nature of the job (always being on call, simple mistakes can cost hundreds of millions of dollars etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29-03-2021, 04:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasquez View Post
I think you have to choose your degree and path in life not after what other people say, but following your own personal beliefs. You should wake up every morning happy with the choice you made in life, not just working for the salary at the end of the month. I own a small business, and while I'm not an accountant, I do work with bookkeeping, my company's bookkeeping. Because it's not the domain I'm passionate about I spent a lot of time looking for the [URL="s://lukates.medium.com/best-software-for-data-analysis-in-2021-eea6eb404603"]best data analysis software[/ and it was pretty hard getting used to all the tools in there.
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
accountancy, accounting, law, nus, smu

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMU Accountancy vs SUTD ISTD peacepenguin Education and Personal Growth 6 30-11-2019 10:52 PM
SMU Accountancy vs SUTD ISTD peacepenguin Income and Jobs 5 28-04-2018 09:44 AM
Career advice(Accountancy) 7Desires Income and Jobs 23 28-06-2015 08:50 PM
Accountancy in other countries? Fugutaiten Income and Jobs 1 04-01-2014 10:20 PM
Regarding Accountancy pancakes Income and Jobs 5 28-11-2010 01:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,697 Replies, 481,696 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,232 Replies, 1,688,207 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,176 Replies, 1,378,506 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,210 Replies, 1,975,862 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,273 Replies, 355,454 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,561 Replies, 5,359,746 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,460 Replies, 1,617,758 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
877 Replies, 269,989 Views
infosys, cognizant ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,652 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,365 Replies, 7,890,225 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,350 Replies, 2,816,562 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,502 Replies, 2,764,928 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
526 Replies, 190,738 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 137,193 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 136,396 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
124 Replies, 85,721 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 63,248 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
383 Replies, 132,717 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 21,706 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
448 Replies, 144,386 Views
Chinese backed tech company WLB in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 9,880 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 131,583 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
781 Replies, 373,362 Views
OCBC Bank
7 Replies, 405 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,903 Replies, 1,009,411 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
603 Replies, 360,778 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,041 Replies, 4,584,084 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
631 Replies, 129,113 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
116 Replies, 72,912 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,484 Replies, 692,686 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2