NTU Business or EEE - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

NTU Business or EEE

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

1) I definitely believe engineering is more versatile. All the banks in singapore accept engineering degree. whoever can get into the finance sector basically just prove their capabilities.

Only a very small handful can make it to finance. U really have to get real.

2) "switching to the teaching profession such as poly lecturers, definitely possible + higher chance. if we engineers are not suitable to teach engineering modules, who else can? import FT? mai lai la!"

Are you nuts? Go and take a look at the faculties in NTU and NUS. See how many foreign professors the local Unis have.

3) "We know Singapore need us but we didnt get the respect we deserved. we are being labelled as cheap labour. If other countries such as america & japan can respect their engineers, why cant singapore do that too?"

Too bad. It is a sad case in Singapore.

4) yes money make the world goes round. without engineers, you think the world can operates? you cant be even reading what I wrote here. you cant even have money in ur pocket because you cant re-withdraw money from the atm.

Yes, engineers create value. But they are not well remunerated. Pls note that creating value is not equivalent to earning big bucks.

5) if you have some integrity, you shld have think before you wrote the above. you are no much better for trying to shoot them down.

I am not shooting engineers down. I am an engineer myself. My point is....Dont study engineering if u have the chance to study accountancy.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM

rubberbus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
then i strongly suggest that you grow up and see what the real world is in store for u.
I alr facing the real world. i also nv say engineers = millionaire. I'm being realistic here.

Quote:
u are defending the fort with a knife, against an army's onslaught. But since u are an engineer, you can invent catapults that can shoot down an F-15. haha
hahaha, i nth better to do. well, talk is free.

Quote:
Is the engineering profession even a fort in the first place?

Be honest to yourself and check the quality of students who enter the engineering department / faculty. Most of them chose engineering because they got no where else to go. Ask all the graduating JC students and none -- zero, zilch, nada -- aspires to study engineering.

Remember the life sciences' surge of popularity just a decade ago? And life sciences proved to be a big failure? Well, engineering was the equivalent of life sciences in the 80s. It's long dead before the current crop of JC students were even born.
I feel that whatever you said are just stereotyping engineering student = lousy quailty.

so you are stating that NTU Renaissance Engineering Programme which only will admit 50 elite students and these elites are **** too? to those students who managed to enroll into areospace engineering and double degree program with engineering. are you fair to them for criticising them and label them as lousy quality?

Its true that a certain % of JC students choose engineering because they got no other choices but who to blame? themselves lo.

if you know all the JC students in singapore and they personally tell u they dont wan to study engineering. I will believe you. if not you are just being bias.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM

rubberbus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1) I definitely believe engineering is more versatile. All the banks in singapore accept engineering degree. whoever can get into the finance sector basically just prove their capabilities.

Only a very small handful can make it to finance. U really have to get real.

2) "switching to the teaching profession such as poly lecturers, definitely possible + higher chance. if we engineers are not suitable to teach engineering modules, who else can? import FT? mai lai la!"

Are you nuts? Go and take a look at the faculties in NTU and NUS. See how many foreign professors the local Unis have.

3) "We know Singapore need us but we didnt get the respect we deserved. we are being labelled as cheap labour. If other countries such as america & japan can respect their engineers, why cant singapore do that too?"

Too bad. It is a sad case in Singapore.

4) yes money make the world goes round. without engineers, you think the world can operates? you cant be even reading what I wrote here. you cant even have money in ur pocket because you cant re-withdraw money from the atm.

Yes, engineers create value. But they are not well remunerated. Pls note that creating value is not equivalent to earning big bucks.

5) if you have some integrity, you shld have think before you wrote the above. you are no much better for trying to shoot them down.

I am not shooting engineers down. I am an engineer myself. My point is....Dont study engineering if u have the chance to study accountancy.
point 1: walao, i know my english not very good. but u at least read properly la. i already say "whoever can get into the finance sector basically just prove their capabilities." i;m being realistic alr.

point 2: i already say poly lecturers!! NTU NUS have very strict guideline in recruiting professors. not any ah dog ah cat can join anyhow.

point 3&4 : sad to know that.

point 5 : you being an engineer deserved a pat on the back. jiayou! promotion coming soon!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Unregistered

I think the problem lies with the fact that majority of local engineering students/grads are not on par with local accountancy students/grads. Grades required to get into accountancy are much higher compared to engineering. Hence, engineering is really a dumping ground in some cases. There are however, many exceptions to this case. Such as the Renaissance Engineering Programme and Engineering DDP. Tbh, I think these two in NTU can only compare to the Acct and Biz DDP. So if you wanna rank system it goes like this:

1. REP
2. Engin DDP & Acct/Biz DDP
3. Acct
4. Engineering

Of course, because there is such a huge number of engine grads than acct grads, engineers are in less demand because there is more supply. And of course, a lot of engine grads are not as smart as acct grads in the first place. Hence, majority of them end up commanding a lower salary.

However, it is not true that all engin grads will suffer because there are a few smart ones among them. Just like saying that all Acct grads will succeed, its not true because there are some who will flunk.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the problem lies with the fact that majority of local engineering students/grads are not on par with local accountancy students/grads. Grades required to get into accountancy are much higher compared to engineering. Hence, engineering is really a dumping ground in some cases. There are however, many exceptions to this case. Such as the Renaissance Engineering Programme and Engineering DDP. Tbh, I think these two in NTU can only compare to the Acct and Biz DDP. So if you wanna rank system it goes like this:

1. REP
2. Engin DDP & Acct/Biz DDP
3. Acct
4. Engineering

Of course, because there is such a huge number of engine grads than acct grads, engineers are in less demand because there is more supply. And of course, a lot of engine grads are not as smart as acct grads in the first place. Hence, majority of them end up commanding a lower salary.

However, it is not true that all engin grads will suffer because there are a few smart ones among them. Just like saying that all Acct grads will succeed, its not true because there are some who will flunk.
Intelligence has marginal returns there are not many jobs that really require you to be very smart...it's the system not the individual's abilities that results in the pay difference
Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Intelligence has marginal returns there are not many jobs that really require you to be very smart...it's the system not the individual's abilities that results in the pay difference
It's everywhere. You not only require your own individual abilities, but you gotta know how to work smart and be socialable. Else, no matter what you do, you will be stuck.

Whatever you are going to study, be it acct or eng, socialing, hardwork and study smart is all you need to score well. This applies to work as well.

After reading this thread, I feel that engineers are being 'judged'. Don't forget that some acct grads don't earn as much as an engineer even after many years of work. People are just looking at the successful people while forgetting the remaining ones.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Agree that only a very small handful can make it to finance. You have to start EARLY.

Yes there are FT teaching engineering modules. Mostly lecturers switched to poly is because they have no choice. (you rarely see a young lecturer around) I would advice to switch early to NIE and become MOE teacher if you have passion to teach.

We are labelled as cheap labours is simply because we can be easily replaced by FTs.

Yes. However, you are not creating revenue but just expenses.

I am also not trying to shoot engineers down. My point is choose what you like. Engineers can neither starve to death nor fully fill their stomach. However, if I were given a choice again, I would switch my field the moment i graduate from my engineering degree as it is pretty versatile as mentioned. Sad to say, I wouldn't choose acct because personally i find it's a boring job.

Let me sum everything up: Choose what you like. Take all the poster here as ADVICE only. No point doing something you hate and end up regretting.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

Hi I am a EE major who make it in fin and doing relatively better than all my engine peers

let me share with you my experience

EE do give you the more career options but if you decide that u r nt interested in engineering than the extra option is meaningless to u

it not what you major in but your GPA that decide how much options you have when you grad ..

biz major do get more opportunities with internship and sometime this make all the difference in this very compeitive fin industry..
Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi I am a EE major who make it in fin and doing relatively better than all my engine peers

EE do give you the more career options but if you decide that u r nt interested in engineering than the extra option is meaningless to u

it not what you major in but your GPA that decide how much options you have when you grad ..

biz major do get more opportunities with internship and sometime this make all the difference in this very compeitive fin industry..
Congrats. You are one of the few smart ones who made it. Afterall, having a good honour degree is important no matter where you go to secure a good job. It's the same as the TS getting good grades and hopping into biz course. The key thing i must say is 'switch early'. Be it choosing your course for uni or after graduating. Once you hit mid career age, its harder to switch as you have many factors needed to re-consider again. From the way TS says, it seems that he/she has more confidence in engineering. If i were him/her, I would prefer getting a good honours before switching to biz as engineering degree is more versatile at the start/early years.

And please, don't listen to 'do what you like'. If I give you $10K/mth (working 7am-11pm) to be rubbish dump and toilet cleaner, I believe you wouldn't mind. (you think the auntie toilet cleaner outside love their job? they also got no choice but to stay on for the money). If you still insist on passion, just start a business related to your passion as money will still be a factor to keep you going eventually.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Gpa does matter. But what u major in matters even more. Its all up to performance after that. Results is just a stepping stone to secure you the interview when ur switching field.