Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 22-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is a wrong conclusion that 80% of Singapore are rich. Just look at the below data from IRAS and you can see the majority were in fact earning below $80k. And don't forget those who retired early and have no earned income but depending on their wives.

Where do you fit in?

For year ending 2014

Assessable Income. / No.of People
(Gross income less deductibles)

$1m and above / 4557
$500k to $1m / 14,757
$400k to $500k / 11,479
$300k to $400k / 24,268
$200k to $300k / 59,346
$150k to $200k / 70,315
$100k to $150k / 158,244
$80k to $100k / 120,538
$70k to $80k / 86,370
$60k to $70k / 115,089
$50k to $60k / 162,440
$40k to $50k / 224,042
$30k to $40k / 288,519
$25k to $30k / 136,256
$20k to $25k / 71,842
Below $20k - no tax.

Total no. of people : 1.548 m
About 20% made between $80k and $150k.
Another 10% made between $150k and $1m.

Which group do you wanna compare with?

Old 23-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

Retirement planning: How much is enough?

By Nicole Tan
27 Mar 2016
h t t p : / / w w w . channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/retirement-planning-how/2640474.html

Finance experts break down the growing range of possible means to save for retirement in Singapore.
SINGAPORE: Retirement means different things to different people and industry observers say retirement aspirations of Singaporeans have evolved over time.

Mr Edwin Ooi is 27 this year and he is already planning ahead. He intends to stop working full-time by the age of 45 and said that as a financial adviser, his work experience helps him manage his own money.

"On a month to month basis, I'll try to save up to about 30 per cent of my income and that goes into various portfolios of investments," said Mr Ooi. "50 per cent is more of expenses, but I do have surpluses here and there, so that eventually goes into savings or are parked to my investments."

He said he started thinking about early retirement at the age of 16 as he aspired to have more freedom with his time: "Retiring early would mean that I would have more time to spend with family and to do things that really matter in life."

"One thing unique about the industry I'm in is that there's no actual retirement, but more financial freedom. So working towards financial freedom would mean that I can still work on an ad-hoc basis, but I would have more time to spend doing things that really matter to me," he added.

EVOLVING ATTITUDES TOWARDS RETIREMENT

Finance industry experts said there is a growing number of individuals like Mr Ooi, whose attitudes towards retirement stray from the conventional.

"(Retirement) used to be (about working) for a company for 20 to 30 years and then stopping, and that was it - you didn't work again," said Mr Mark Surgenor, Head of Wealth Sales for at HSBC Singapore's Retail Banking and Wealth Management. "Now people are thinking in a much more active way about retirement."

He added: "They're thinking about moving into retirement, by perhaps doing a bit less of their day job, and picking up some other work that's close to what they do, or something that's close to what they really enjoy.

"They might plan to do that for five to 15 years. Ultimately, they may eventually want to completely stop but it's much more of a phased approach now."

According to a recent survey by HSBC, seven in 10 people working in Singapore above the age of 45 would like to retire within the next five years.

The study showed that top reasons for wanting to retire include having the freedom to travel and pursue other interests (62 per cent), spending more time with family (42 per cent) and switching to another career or voluntary work (25 per cent).

However, half of them said they would not be able to retire within five years mainly due to financial constraints.

"Let's be realistic about this, life gets in the way of these things," said Mr Surgenor. "People get married, people go on holiday, buy a new house or perhaps want their children to study abroad. These are great expenses that come up - sometimes they're planned, sometimes they're not planned. So that does get in the way."

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

Market polls like the DBS-Manulife Retirement Wellness Study done in November 2015 showed that people living in Singapore start planning for their retirement at an average age of 38.

The surveys also showed that about four out of five people in Singapore are not fully aware of how much they will need to put aside. Some observers cite industry benchmarks that suggest how much is enough.

Said DBS Bank's regional head of Bancassurance Richard Vargo: "It really depends on a person's current lifestyle and their aspirations to maintain that lifestyle - to increase or reduce that lifestyle or modify it during retirement years.

"Industry benchmarks throughout the world say roughly 60 to 70 per cent of a person's current monthly income should be adequate during retirement years, recognising certain expenses will be reduced during your retirement years."

Finance experts said the needs vary widely across different income groups. However, they are able to estimate the monthly expenditure for a basic lifestyle by breaking it down to some daily essentials, though this is still a far cry from a one-size-fits-all formula.

According to advisers, utility and phone bills would cost up to S$300 a month. Meanwhile, food expenses could be as little as S$400 a month, but higher if one preferred more luxurious dining.

Getting around could cost as low as S$200 for public transport, but it could cost up to thousands of dollars to maintain a car. As for entertainment, industry observers budgeted about S$300 a month.

Based on these back of the envelope calculations, it can be gauged that monthly expenditure for basic daily needs would be about S$1,200.

Said former retirement ambassador at Fundsupermart Wong Sui Jau: "We can put a certain 'x' dollar amount which is probably adequate for most cases. If you want to expand on that, you probably want a more luxurious kind of lifestyle.

"Now S$1,500 is on a more basic level which allows S$300 to S$500 for entertainment per month. Of course this doesn't include housing, but we made certain assumptions, most of the time by the age of 60 plus, most of the house should be paid for."

He added: "It doesn't factor in things like medical. Some people are in very good health and don't need to spend much, if any, on medical and some people who are in poorer health need to spend much more on a per year basis."

RIDING ON CPF LIFE

Amid changing retirement needs, the Government implemented enhancements to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) system this year.

Rather than the previous "Minimum Sum", Singaporeans now have three retirement sums to choose from - Basic, Full and Enhanced Retirement Sum.

Depending on the amount saved in their retirement account, monthly CPF LIFE payouts range from S$660 to S$1,920.

Said Mr Wong: "If you were to look at the ballpark numbers of what we were looking at just now, at S$1,500, even if you take the standard one, which is S$1,200 per month paid out from CPF Life, you probably need to make up about S$300 per month from your cash and savings and such. S$300 is not that difficult to make up on a per month basis from your cash and savings and investments.

"Now if you're taking the highest one which is $1,700 to $1,900, it covers a lot of the basics and of course makes certain assumptions. One very important assumption we have to make is inflation is not a big issue."

OPTIONS FOR ADDED INCOME

Observers said CPF Life is a good starting point, but if individuals want additional funds on top of that, there is an increasing range of options available to ensure a sustainable stream of income post-retirement.

From insurance and savings plans, to investing in capital markets and property, experts said that how individuals choose to save and invest will depend on factors such as risk appetite, which will also change over time.

"When you talk about retirement planning or investing, it's not a one-size-fits all type of solution," said Associate Professor Jeremy Goh from the Singapore Management University's Lee Kong Chian School of Business. "At the end of the day, it's all about asset allocation.

"When you're young, you tend to tilt your portfolio towards equity, because when you're younger you can afford to take risks. As you get to pre-retirement, (you reach a) point where you cannot afford to take risk and you shouldn't be taking any risk."

He added that at this point a person's portfolio will mainly be in fixed income security, a "very safe type of instrument".

He added: "You would also want to buy some annuities. Convert some of the valuation in your portfolio into annuities to split all the cashflow from one lump sum into monthly cashflow to sustain day to day needs."

Associate Professor Goh talked about the effect of compounding, which is interest earned on interest being paid.

"Compounding gets even bigger if you're looking at a portfolio where the expected returns are higher," he said. "So if you're looking at 8 per cent return on a portfolio, if one starts 10 years earlier, the numbers are just staggering."

Experts said it pays to start young and not just because of financial reasons. Ultimately, they said to plan early is to be better prepared for future spending needs, especially the unexpected.

- CNA/hs

Old 24-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

It doesn't take much to retire in Singapore. As long as you have paid up your 5 room executive HDB flat and you have no dependents, you just need $2000 pm for a retired couple. You can retire in place comfortably in your big 5 room HDB executive flat.

Food and groceries $600 pm
Utilities $100 pm
Public transport $200 pm
Medical $200 pm
Medical insurance $400 pm
Holidays (once a year, pro rated) $200 pm
Misc $300 pm
Total $2000 pm

When you retire, you don't need a car and you don't need to employ a maid. That will save you $3000 pm. A car costs $2000 pm to own and operate.

How to get income to cover $2000 pm?

CPF Life $3600 pm (from 65 onwards)
Allowance from children $1000 pm (from two good, filial children, each child gives $500 pm)
Total $4600 pm

You can save $2600 pm to take care of future inflation.

So, your retirement strategy is:

1. Pay up your HDB housing loan
2. Choose the CPF Life Enhanced retirement scheme
3. Raise good, filial children who will give you allowance

Old 24-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

My wife and I retired 2 years ago at 56, after we saw that our passive income sources were stable and adequate to cover our expenses in retirement. In the 2 years that we retired, we travelled a fair bit visiting places that were off the beaten track and staying longer at the places we visited to soak in the culture and interact with the locals. Instead of having 2 cars, we now only have 1. We still have a domestic helper to look our aged parents.

The below itemised our expenses per month for the last two years, give and take $300k.

1. Food & groceries - $1.5k
2. Dining at restaurants - $600
3. Utility bills - $200
4. Phone & broadband - $160
5. Car road tax & ins - $2k
6. Petro - $300
7. ERP - $30
8. Car maintenance - $650
9. Maid - $1k
10. Medical - $200
11. Ins - $400
12. Condo maintenance - $350

Discretionary expense :
1. Gifts, wedding Ang pow, CNY Ang pow - $4k pa
2. Live musicals, concerts & performances - $2k pa
3. Traveling - $10k pa
4. General home repairs, appliances etc - $4k pa

Our passive income is $130k pa, which is currently adequate for our expenses. We are saving some to buy our next car when the current COE expires in another 5 years time.

Quote:
It doesn't take much to retire in Singapore. As long as you have paid up your 5 room executive HDB flat and you have no dependents, you just need $2000 pm for a retired couple. You can retire in place comfortably in your big 5 room HDB executive flat.

Food and groceries $600 pm
Utilities $100 pm
Public transport $200 pm
Medical $200 pm
Medical insurance $400 pm
Holidays (once a year, pro rated) $200 pm
Misc $300 pm
Total $2000 pm

When you retire, you don't need a car and you don't need to employ a maid. That will save you $3000 pm. A car costs $2000 pm to own and operate.

How to get income to cover $2000 pm?

CPF Life $3600 pm (from 65 onwards)
Allowance from children $1000 pm (from two good, filial children, each child gives $500 pm)
Total $4600 pm

You can save $2600 pm to take care of future inflation.

So, your retirement strategy is:

1. Pay up your HDB housing loan
2. Choose the CPF Life Enhanced retirement scheme
3. Raise good, filial children who will give you allowance
Old 24-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Aren't you the 56 yo engineer? How come you change your story? I thought you're still working?

Quote:
My wife and I retired 2 years ago at 56, after we saw that our passive income sources were stable and adequate to cover our expenses in retirement. In the 2 years that we retired, we travelled a fair bit visiting places that were off the beaten track and staying longer at the places we visited to soak in the culture and interact with the locals. Instead of having 2 cars, we now only have 1. We still have a domestic helper to look our aged parents.

The below itemised our expenses per month for the last two years, give and take $300k.

1. Food & groceries - $1.5k
2. Dining at restaurants - $600
3. Utility bills - $200
4. Phone & broadband - $160
5. Car road tax & ins - $2k
6. Petro - $300
7. ERP - $30
8. Car maintenance - $650
9. Maid - $1k
10. Medical - $200
11. Ins - $400
12. Condo maintenance - $350

Discretionary expense :
1. Gifts, wedding Ang pow, CNY Ang pow - $4k pa
2. Live musicals, concerts & performances - $2k pa
3. Traveling - $10k pa
4. General home repairs, appliances etc - $4k pa

Our passive income is $130k pa, which is currently adequate for our expenses. We are saving some to buy our next car when the current COE expires in another 5 years time.
Old 24-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

Copied this from DBS retirement plan page.

Know the Facts
Find out what can affect your ability to afford the retirement lifestyle you want.

Fact #1:

We are living longer.
Average life expectancy

Male :- 80.2 years (2013)
Female :- 84.6 years (2013)

How this affects your retirement plans?

Your intended retirement savings amount may not last you through your entire retirement period. To build up more funds, you may have to consider working past your intended retirement age.

Disclaimer: The life expectancy statistic is an average figure. The actual lifespan of an individual may be longer or shorter than average. A prudent retirement plan will need to consider planning beyond the average life expectancy.

Source: Department ofStatistics, Complete Life Tables 2008 - 2013 for Singapore Resident Population

Fact #2:

Cost of living is rising.
Daily necessities will cost more

$650 p/m today
$1,850 p/m in 25 years

How this affects your retirement plans?

When you have to spend more on daily necessities, you’ll have less to spend on the things you want to pursue

Assumption on inflation rates
Food: 3%
Medical & public transport: 6%

Disclaimer: Excludes major medical conditions, travel, dining in restaurants and other costs.

Fact #3:

Downgrading to fund your retirement is not that simple.
Factors to consider

a. Uncertainty of home prices
Home prices are subjected to the volatility of property market. Your home may not be worth the amount you expected it to be

b. Impact on loved ones
Think about what will be left for your dependants

c. Ease of buying and selling
Your home is not a liquid asset. Hence it may be hard to sell your home when you most need it.

Fact #4:

The better the retirement lifestyle you want, the higher the income you need.
What many Singaporeans are aspiring towards

Source: 2013/2014 DBS Financial Motivations Survey

Old 24-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

My spouse and I are planning for our eventual retirement in a decade's time when we reach 55. We are fortunate that we have no liabilities as our 3 BR luxury condo and car are both paid up. Even if the property market crashes due to the massive oversupply of empty condos, we can sleep well.

Our retirement needs are modest. Since our condo is located near an MRT station, we do not see any need for us to own a car. We can travel anywhere during non peak hours using the MRT. It is also good for our health as we will still need to do some walking. This is useful exercise.

We estimate that we will need about $3k pm ($36k pa) by the time we retire at 55. This will be financed by our dividends, annuities and cash savings. Upon reaching 65, we will get an additional source of passive income from our CPF Life which we could use to travel the world.

We will work very hard from now until we reach 55 so that we can save and invest more.
Old 24-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My spouse and I are planning for our eventual retirement in a decade's time when we reach 55. We are fortunate that we have no liabilities as our 3 BR luxury condo and car are both paid up. Even if the property market crashes due to the massive oversupply of empty condos, we can sleep well.

Our retirement needs are modest. Since our condo is located near an MRT station, we do not see any need for us to own a car. We can travel anywhere during non peak hours using the MRT. It is also good for our health as we will still need to do some walking. This is useful exercise.

We estimate that we will need about $3k pm ($36k pa) by the time we retire at 55. This will be financed by our dividends, annuities and cash savings. Upon reaching 65, we will get an additional source of passive income from our CPF Life which we could use to travel the world.

We will work very hard from now until we reach 55 so that we can save and invest more.
Got do charity or not? Got swim in the condo pool? I bet you feel blessed.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Wants versus Needs

I have been trying to inculcate in my adult children the virtue of frugality and prudence in their lives. I always told them to think long term. A little money saved every now and then will go some way to prepare for their future. When invested well, they can generate passive incomes to fund their expenses.

One of the tricky issues I faced was how to teach them to differentiate between NEEDS and WANTS. Even for myself I sometimes grapple with this issue. Whether something I wanted to buy was a NEED or a WANT. It can be clear cut for some things at some point in time while it can get grey or debatable for other things or at other point in time.

Let me share some examples. Handphones. When handphones first appeared on the scene, I categorised them as a luxury to me. I see them as WANTS. I have lived my whole adult life without them up to that point and was ok. So handphones were an item of WANT not NEED. But now, handphones have become a NEED. Especially if you are working, and your boss/colleagues expected you to be contactable at all times.
But a high end handphone is a WANT, especially when a $0 handphone can serve your needs. I have progressed from a dumb phone to a smart phone and found that a smart phone is a NEED. Smart phones are a NEED because I trade online, and I can do internet searches on the go.

Cars – My children asked why we have 2 cars in the family. Are they NEEDs or WANTs? I admitted that the second car which my wife drives was a WANT item. I explained to them that our first car, an MPV, was a NEED, because we needed that to ferry our aged parents and the whole family around. I told them we bought the second car because we could afford to pay for it outright using our passive income earned for the year.

Eating – Eating is a NEED to sustain life. But what to eat and Where to eat can be a WANT or a NEED. Is eating a $3 chicken rice meal versus a $10 aglio olio spaghetti the same? One is a NEED while the other is a WANT!

The list goes on and on.

Last week I saw my older son happily fiddling with a new Samsumg S7 edge phone and I asked him whether he considered that a WANT or a NEED. He said it was a WANT but that he paid for it using the interest he earned from his Bond investment. He was happy.

What I can say? There was an intangible aspect to consider. Happiness and satisfaction of owning something.
Old 26-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Besides educating your young children, you can also educate yourself on retirement.

1. Retiring in an expensive condo is a WANT, not a NEED. You can still retire comfortably in a HDB flat.

2. Retiring while maintaining a car is a WANT, not a NEED. You can take public transport and you are in no hurry to go to work. You can always call a taxi or Uber if you need a car.

3. Retiring while still having a maid is a WANT, not a NEED. The amount of house chores for a retired couple is not much.

4. Retiring with a passive income of $100k pa is a WANT, not a need. You can retire with only $30k pa.

5. Travelling to Europe for holidays is a WANT, not a need.

The list goes on and on. Educate yourself while you educate your young children.

Quote:
I have been trying to inculcate in my adult children the virtue of frugality and prudence in their lives. I always told them to think long term. A little money saved every now and then will go some way to prepare for their future. When invested well, they can generate passive incomes to fund their expenses.

One of the tricky issues I faced was how to teach them to differentiate between NEEDS and WANTS. Even for myself I sometimes grapple with this issue. Whether something I wanted to buy was a NEED or a WANT. It can be clear cut for some things at some point in time while it can get grey or debatable for other things or at other point in time.

Let me share some examples. Handphones. When handphones first appeared on the scene, I categorised them as a luxury to me. I see them as WANTS. I have lived my whole adult life without them up to that point and was ok. So handphones were an item of WANT not NEED. But now, handphones have become a NEED. Especially if you are working, and your boss/colleagues expected you to be contactable at all times.
But a high end handphone is a WANT, especially when a $0 handphone can serve your needs. I have progressed from a dumb phone to a smart phone and found that a smart phone is a NEED. Smart phones are a NEED because I trade online, and I can do internet searches on the go.

Cars – My children asked why we have 2 cars in the family. Are they NEEDs or WANTs? I admitted that the second car which my wife drives was a WANT item. I explained to them that our first car, an MPV, was a NEED, because we needed that to ferry our aged parents and the whole family around. I told them we bought the second car because we could afford to pay for it outright using our passive income earned for the year.

Eating – Eating is a NEED to sustain life. But what to eat and Where to eat can be a WANT or a NEED. Is eating a $3 chicken rice meal versus a $10 aglio olio spaghetti the same? One is a NEED while the other is a WANT!

The list goes on and on.

Last week I saw my older son happily fiddling with a new Samsumg S7 edge phone and I asked him whether he considered that a WANT or a NEED. He said it was a WANT but that he paid for it using the interest he earned from his Bond investment. He was happy.

What I can say? There was an intangible aspect to consider. Happiness and satisfaction of owning something.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app