Compare civil service salary - Page 76 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #751 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
blackswan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
No it is NOT equivalent. A Director in my Ministry is equivalent to a CEO of a stat board (I daresay higher). A Director in a Stat Board is like an Assistant Director in my Ministry.

In fact, when I go for meetings representing my department, my counterpart in stat boards would be at least an Asst Director. That's the prestige of working in large Ministries and that's also why Stat Boards hate Ministries... lol
Is it? But MAS managing director previous appt is Perm Sec MTI.....

A MTI director got seconded to my stat board as director, abt 1 yr later he become senior director... Another MTI DD join my stat board as senior DD then abt 1 yr later become Director...

Btw in MTI asst directors are entry level for fresh grads.

My guess is for MTI and my stat board the titles of DD/D are half to one rank difference (MTI higher)...

Reply With Quote
  #752 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
shaz is on a distinguished road
Default

it really depends on the size of the Ministry... if there are 30000 staff in a Ministry, you can't really say it is equivalent (in terms of prestige and political power) to a Ministry or stat board with just 1000-2000 staff can you? of course there are exceptions but having work in many inter-agencies projects, it is quite clear who is the bigger boss

Reply With Quote
  #753 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
Hello! I'm a 32yr old guy and working in a large Ministry for the last 3.5 years. Was previously in a Stat Board for about 2 year. Crazy work hours so I took a pay cut in 2007 to go to Ministry. I've a Aussie degree (pass only & did in Australia). Here's my salary progression for 5.5 years:

26: Sep 2005 (Stat Board): $2700
27: Dec 2006 (Stat Board): $2900
28: Jul 2007 (Stat Board): $3250
28: Aug 2007 (Ministry): $3025 (MX13)
29: Apr 2008 (Ministry): $3500 (MX12) - x 3 month bonus
30: Apr 2009 (Ministry): $3650 (MX12) - x 3.5 month bonus (B grade)
31: Apr 2010 (Ministry): $4000 (MX12) - x 4.5 month bonus (B grade)
32: Apr 2011 (Ministry): $4500 (MX11) - x 4 months bonus (B grade) - so far

Despite being a normal pass degree holder, you can see that the Ministry gives me a better than average grading and I even got two promotions within 4 years. I seriously worked hard but I have the advantage of working in HQ and rubbing shoulders with my Director and DD. As long you work hard (and smart), bosses see your good work (not just own boss but those from other departments), then you'll do well. Obviously, can't fight scholars who can be a Dy Director at my age or earlier. I just aim to be in the middle management and be happy with the decent pay and good working hours.

Need to be realistic lah...

On your 4 months bonus for 2011, do you meant just the PB and GB? In other words 2.5 mths for B grade and 1.5mths for GB?

Also, did you get promoted to MX11 last Apr 2010 or going to be MX11 in Apr 2011?

Reason being i heard if you got promoted the previous year, the grade for the immediate subsequent year would be C grade by default.

Reply With Quote
  #754 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
No it is NOT equivalent. A Director in my Ministry is equivalent to a CEO of a stat board (I daresay higher). A Director in a Stat Board is like an Assistant Director in my Ministry.

In fact, when I go for meetings representing my department, my counterpart in stat boards would be at least an Asst Director. That's the prestige of working in large Ministries and that's also why Stat Boards hate Ministries... lol
Would like to clarify that this is not always correct. A director in my Ministry is equivalent to like a Department head in Stats Boards. An AD in say MTI is only an entry level job title, whereas an AD in say Mindef, MOE or say MAS would be a much senior post with many years of experience.
Reply With Quote
  #755 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
shaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would like to clarify that this is not always correct. A director in my Ministry is equivalent to like a Department head in Stats Boards. An AD in say MTI is only an entry level job title, whereas an AD in say Mindef, MOE or say MAS would be a much senior post with many years of experience.
I see... I guess my Ministry is THE exception then... whenever I go for meetings with my Director (in her late 50s), she would "bully" (in a nice/diplomatic way of course) the other poor stat board CEO... lol... can be entertaining... oh, she doesn't deal with "Directors" from stat board... only the head of the stat board (CEO, Managing Directors or whatever they're called)... hope that clarifies... was also confused with the different titles when I first joined... i think it would be easier to know their grade superscale G, H, etc... (which we won't)

Last edited by shaz; 26-03-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #756 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
shaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On your 4 months bonus for 2011, do you meant just the PB and GB? In other words 2.5 mths for B grade and 1.5mths for GB?

Also, did you get promoted to MX11 last Apr 2010 or going to be MX11 in Apr 2011?

Reason being i heard if you got promoted the previous year, the grade for the immediate subsequent year would be C grade by default.
Yup, I got the 4.1. I was only informed of my promotion yesterday. And yes, I'm expecting my Performance Grade to be "C" next year (which is normal after getting a promotion) unless I really work hard and suck up to the bosses
Reply With Quote

  #757 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
Yup, I got the 4.1. I was only informed of my promotion yesterday. And yes, I'm expecting my Performance Grade to be "C" next year (which is normal after getting a promotion) unless I really work hard and suck up to the bosses
Okies. Much appreciated. Feel less bumped-out now knowing that I'm not the only one with a C grade the immediate year after promotion =)
Reply With Quote
  #758 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi all, was wondering if u guys could give me some advice here

im in a stat board, scheme of service is equivalent to MX12 (joined abt 3 mths ago)

i noticed that the pay range stated in my contract is rather odd

it states: $X - $Y/$Z

my current pay is a number higher than Y but lower than Z; it is approximately the average of Y and Z.

I have 3 qns:

1) Do you think that the number Z was created because I am technically an overpaid MX12?

2) Would they intentionally slow down my rate of increment because of this?

3) My PB is 1.25 (Grade C by default). Is this "market" for a MX12 guy in a stat board? Or is this a lower than normal figure because i'm a newbie?
Reply With Quote
  #759 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
blackswan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
I see... I guess my Ministry is THE exception then... whenever I go for meetings with my Director (in her late 50s), she would "bully" (in a nice/diplomatic way of course) the other poor stat board CEO... lol... can be entertaining... oh, she doesn't deal with "Directors" from stat board... only the head of the stat board (CEO, Managing Directors or whatever they're called)... hope that clarifies... was also confused with the different titles when I first joined... i think it would be easier to know their grade superscale G, H, etc... (which we won't)
my guess is she is a laojiao director (her superscale is quite high)

my estimation for stat board head is ard the equivalent of DS, its common to see staff movements of DS to CEO stat board and vice versa in press releases.
and u r right in saying the most accurate is knowing grade supescale.
i read a report somewhere tt govt do not pay according to appt. but by grade.
Reply With Quote
  #760 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
nanolife is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
it depends on the HR you see. Cant tell you for sure. If its close, i am sure they dont mind
ok thanks. i hope i can really get this one, because i had went thru 2 interviews and the process of waiting.

how long do you think the hr will get back to me no matter get the offer or not? i sent her the documents and expected salary yesterday which she asked me this info 1 week after my 2nd interview.

besides, i got call just now from another poly to go for the interview next week.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 743 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,295 Replies, 1,462,156 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,447 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program
9 Replies, 744 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,089 Replies, 5,267,034 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,949 Replies, 2,178,380 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 7,175 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
243 Replies, 72,833 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 324,255 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 79,319 Views
No progression in civil service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 20,483 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,571 Replies, 1,213,797 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,643,088 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency...
5 Replies, 566 Views
is computer science a good choice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 887 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 13,305 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 11,321 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,675 Replies, 1,008,943 Views
Apple background check hireright
9 Replies, 499 Views
Apple Grading Analyst - Siri
0 Replies, 109 Views
Anyone heard of being a ship... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 172,061 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
390 Replies, 68,856 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 120,130 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,080 Replies, 842,004 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,966 Replies, 1,796,277 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
853 Replies, 428,770 Views
Hotel Line Salary
5 Replies, 1,382 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,842 Replies, 866,722 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,881 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2