Best-Paying Jobs in Singapore (2008) - Page 25 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Best-Paying Jobs in Singapore (2008)

Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
insider--

Default 4300

Haha pinabonds, are you sure? Go check your facts. ALL ministries answer to PMO. It simply adds another layer between MAS and PMO, that's all. MAS is under MOF's jurisdiction. The whole damn civil service answers to PMO. You are funny.

EDB and MAS wield as much power as YOUR pay scale and CEP allow you to see. You see that they wield so much super power from the perspective of your CEP and the level you are at.

Simply put, if any stat board no matter how prominent has as much clout of its parent ministry, they wouldn't be under the ministries. It is true that different stat boards have differing autonomy. It doesn't change the fact that even the freest of stat boards come under the purview of its ministry.

All the AOs and AO to be, high fliers fresh out of school are placed in ministries and not stat boards. That is a fact. Why don't they place their most talented people in the stat boards if stat boards are where highest levels of decisions are made? Don't kid yourself. Cos you are the only person you can fool.

I have scores of PSC-OMS friends who just attended the annual foundation course (a course only held once a year) that AOs attend. ALL are in ministries.

Even the stat board scholars who manage to make the cut to the course are instantly transferred to ministries to dabble in policy work at the highest level once they pass the interview. Out of the course, less than 2% are farmers. 90% are SAFOS, SPFOS and OMS who are emplaced there automatically, and the remaining 19% stat board overseas scholars.

That is the set up. If you can't stand it, take it up with Mr Teo Chee Hean, the head of PMO and Eddie Teo, the head of Civil Service, both are President's cum SAFOS or OMS scholars.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
civil servant--

Default 4301

okay okay
we civil servant report to scholar in stat board who report to scholar in ministry who report to pmo.

Even I lowly servant also understand this how come the rest dont. Must be peasants and lesser mortals I guess.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM
insider--

Default 4302

insider2, you are so hilarious you make me giggle in the middle of the day.

Can your farmer friends that you say have the world as their oyster become a MD at DBS immediately "FROM SCRATCH"? Last i heard, all new entrants farmer or otherwise start as associates.

He has a higher rank than people his age who was in the same company in the last 10 years. Which part of simple conceptual understanding do you not get? You also think he's so old ah? Please lah. People make BG at 34 yrs old. I'm quite sure he's probably even younger than you. Just that in your world you think BG must have a head full of white hair?

I found all the data you submitted gallingly erroneous.

There are OMS scholars who become consultants at Oliver Wyman, Bane, McKinsey immediately after their bonds. The pay they draw is more than those who failed to get any scholarship and worked in the private sector in the last 6 years they were in the ministries doing the highest level of policy work. The examples of them are dime a dozen.

It's also a widely known fact to anyone who's mildly educated that SAFOS are always and frequently poached, and some cases way before their service terms with SAF ends. That is why everyone knows that they regularly become CEO or directors in GLCs. It's not only widely known among the actual scholars, the people who mix with them, people who attended the top 2 JCs, even regular Joes know about it and freely talk of it on the internet. Am surprised that you seem to have just crawled out of a hole. And its not just Lee Hsien Yang. You really need to get yourself updated with current affairs.

It's not a work of elitism that high level work is done in some places, and low level work is done others. All organisations and establishments and governments in the world have the same structure. In the US there is work done at the Federal Government and lower level of power and decisions are made at the state governments and regularly overwritten by Federal decisions. I don't know why it's a concept you're ignorant of. It's the way of the world.

All the shebang you spouted about private sector is impertinent to the prior discussion you joined because we were talking about the civil service. Among the scholars collectively of both top PSC ones and the 2nd tier stat board ones themselves, they know this like they know earth is round, not flat. All the bits you yakked about life outside of it, private sector what not, sounds as smart as saying to me "Yes the earth is round, but in another galaxy, it may not be round".

You lack critical thinking skills and the ability to crunch information and compartmentalize them. Let me guess, you went to a local school?

I am a farmer, like just like why is why I have nothing against farmers.

But I do have a problem with misinformation.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
insider--

Default 4303

civil servant, in this world we all report to somebody. There is an organisation set up everywhere. i too, report to my boss in the private sector. Ministers report to PM. Hilary now reports to Obama. So what's the big deal with reporting to someone when every being in the world does?

There is nothing wrong with reporting to somebody. All of them report to Eddie Teo. When in school, we used to report to teacher who report to principal.

What i will correct is misinformation from people whose view is limited to the ceiling of the room they're in.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
civil servant--

Default 4304

Thanks for sharing the civil service structure with us civil servants. Now we know what goes on in the black box.
Everytime lowly me ask always get funny look like why I need to know.
Next time my offsprings must have mutation so can achieve more than his useless father and become someone big in civil service!

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
insider--

Default 4305

Quote insider2 "the fact that MAS has the highest number of bond-breakers shows something doesn't it? Their scholars must be in high demand. They are poached by the banks. And now given this crisis, many are re-applying back to MAS.

EDB does execution work - that is true. The fact that they don't have much policy formulation does not mean that their work is menial. How can bringing in millions / billions of FAI for Singapore be menial?" Unquote

MAS has the highest number of bond breakers not because it's a place sizzling with fun and energy. Actual president's scholars gave the intelligence that it's a downtown. Gettit? The highest number of bond breakers are caused by the fact that many scholars come from well to do families.

I never once said that EDB's work is not useful to Singapore. We all have jobs to do. Please point out to me it has no use. I said that it does execution work as opposed to policy or plans, which you admitted.

As an analogy, in the Army every platoon and company that fights is crucial because all together they make up the force. It does not negate the fact that they do the execution of part of a larger plan and under policy directive of Joint Plans, Defence Policy Office, Future Systems in Mindef and so on.

MAS's "power" to quote Pinabonds who's sweating profusely now, and autonomy only extends to monetary policy. NOT fiscal policy. They do not do policy work.

What I said was stat boards do the execution work. Some stat boards have more autonomy than others, you're right, but they still come under ministries.

Autonomy level differs from each stat board, which further underlines my other point how they are individual entities which gives its staff no lateral movement.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app

Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
insider--

Default 4306

Actual president's scholars gave the intelligence that it's a dead town.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
insider--

Default 4307

To yeahyeah, I am not an AO nor civil servant. Let's just say I am obscenely surrounded by them by social AND blood ties.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM
peasant--

Default 4308

Ai yo u all talk so cheem I dont understand.
Just give me food and HDB flat can liao.
We peasants just want to eat and sleep and dont care who do what!
Actually best job is to be peasant cause got u all scholars to take care of us and ensure Singapore GDP continues to grow and one day we may even be bigger than US!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
insider2--

Default 4309

Insider, you sound like a frustrated PSC-OMS/SAFOS/SPFOS-reject. You are also probably working in a weak stat board and probably feeling lousy and unhappy and wanting to get out. I can see why because you could not even spell "Bain" properly. Don't feel sorry for yourself because I am sure you can succeed if you get out of your funk and stop denigrating others with your comments. Not becoming an AO or not getting a govt scholarship in Singapore is not the end of the world. I certainly wish your social circle widens to non-civil servants who are doing well in their respective fields. You can see that there are many talented people out there who did well without govt scholarship!