Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 17-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
. (Please, we all know how fking little we study compared to local uni who knows almost everything)
i know u have no idea what you are talking about.. i am pretty sure you are not from sim-uol..LSE wont be giving post grad scholarships to sim-uol grads if they "study fking little" compared to local uni.. hahah what a fool-thinking local grads are better..

Old 18-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i know u have no idea what you are talking about.. i am pretty sure you are not from sim-uol..LSE wont be giving post grad scholarships to sim-uol grads if they "study fking little" compared to local uni.. hahah what a fool-thinking local grads are better..
I think is somewhat true leh. Local uni indeed study more than sim uol but sim uol content is more in-depth.

Old 18-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think is somewhat true leh. Local uni indeed study more than sim uol but sim uol content is more in-depth.
SIM more in depth!? You deulding yourself

Old 18-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nope. I disagree. I believe local unis content are much more in depth than sim uol. On top of that, local uni students are required to take electives as part of their academic curriculum regardless of whether you like it or not. Therefore, the stress and workload for local uni students are far greater than uol. Lastly, who are the ppl who are enrolled in local unis and who are those in uol? Local uni students are required to do their own research to learn those that are not covered in their syllabus but would potentially be tested during exams.
Old 18-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm a SIM-UOL grad myself and i must agree that local grads are of a better caliber GENERALLY. Getting into a local uni itself is testament whether you like it or not although the top UOL grads do get recognized and get opportunities to go to LSE on post grad scholarships.

Having said that, this is all about academics and count for little once into the real work. I've come across quite a few UOL grads in the work place of such low caliber that I am ashamed to be associated with them. Conversely I've also come across NUS/NTU colleagues that I've far surpassed, the classic case of book smart vs street smarts.
Old 18-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm a SIM-UOL grad myself and i must agree that local grads are of a better caliber GENERALLY. Getting into a local uni itself is testament whether you like it or not although the top UOL grads do get recognized and get opportunities to go to LSE on post grad scholarships.

Having said that, this is all about academics and count for little once into the real work. I've come across quite a few UOL grads in the work place of such low caliber that I am ashamed to be associated with them. Conversely I've also come across NUS/NTU colleagues that I've far surpassed, the classic case of book smart vs street smarts.
Yes...I second that. Although there might be those who are just book smart and cannot work. But from my past experience, I indeed feel that most local grads are really of higher calibre than uol grads in terms of the way they express themselves and their efficiency. They might not be very smart...but definitely having better analytical ability. I dun mean uol grads are no good, but most that I have seen thus far are really just average and sometimes you really would wonder if they are really graduates.

Old 18-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes...I second that. Although there might be those who are just book smart and cannot work. But from my past experience, I indeed feel that most local grads are really of higher calibre than uol grads in terms of the way they express themselves and their efficiency. They might not be very smart...but definitely having better analytical ability. I dun mean uol grads are no good, but most that I have seen thus far are really just average and sometimes you really would wonder if they are really graduates.
The problem is pte uni grads dun want to admit what most employers already know long time ago. This is the reason why civil service and top MNCs only want local / ivy overseas uni.

Once you make a remark saying generally pte uni not as good as local uni, all the pte uni grads get emo, start accusing others of elitist, claim others are just book worm while they are dam street smart etc. This will be followed by citing a few tycoons who weren't good at studying as proof that they are on par or better than others.
Old 18-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The problem is pte uni grads dun want to admit what most employers already know long time ago. This is the reason why civil service and top MNCs only want local / ivy overseas uni.

Once you make a remark saying generally pte uni not as good as local uni, all the pte uni grads get emo, start accusing others of elitist, claim others are just book worm while they are dam street smart etc. This will be followed by citing a few tycoons who weren't good at studying as proof that they are on par or better than others.
Yup. Local uni grads will know where they stand since they have really seen the real elites. To be frank, a second upper from pte uni is nowhere near a second upper from local uni. I'm saddened by the fact that current graduate inflation really puts local uni grads at a disadvantage because MNCs will give excuses like we have so many graduates waiting for that single position even though they know who are the better graduates. This situation will worsen with many other private colleges offering distance learning programmes. No offence, but personally know of ppl who did a degree straight after ITE. ITE > 1 year distance learning college > 2 years degree???
Old 18-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

I hear a lot of anecdotal stories from friends who recruit in their current companies that there is a dearth of quality local graduates, even in MNCs and GLCs.

Back 5-10 years ago fresh grads were still willing to slog it out for a few years while climbing the corporate ladder. Nowadays most young grads expect to immediately land "manager" and above titles with high salaries and huge bonuses without having any relevant experience. Many have resorted to becoming entrepreneurs, and in most instances you known where the source of funding is from. (Hope I don't sound too sour grapes with this!)

Hence many companies have to resort to FTs. Sad but true.
Old 18-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I hear a lot of anecdotal stories from friends who recruit in their current companies that there is a dearth of quality local graduates, even in MNCs and GLCs.

Back 5-10 years ago fresh grads were still willing to slog it out for a few years while climbing the corporate ladder. Nowadays most young grads expect to immediately land "manager" and above titles with high salaries and huge bonuses without having any relevant experience. Many have resorted to becoming entrepreneurs, and in most instances you known where the source of funding is from. (Hope I don't sound too sour grapes with this!)

Hence many companies have to resort to FTs. Sad but true.
Being a fresh grad "manager" is low already, many stat boards are offering "assistant director" for fresh grads now, while foregin banks are going for "assistant vice president" as a start. Anyway it's just fake name card titles, cost nothing to companies.

My personal observation is many of these grads who take parents money to set up company have no clue how to do business. Many are just blindly venturing into F&B/retailing or online shopping. Most of them fail after a year and they are back looking for jobs after that.