Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

33 year old and helpless - Please advise

Old 11-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia188188 View Post

My question is what would you do if you were me. I really wanted to earn more so that I could buy my much desired house and catch up with my peers.

1) Dont buy your desired house, buy what you can afford and live within your means.
2) what is there to catch up with?

You should be able to live comfortably by living frugally considering your high pay & savings in your early years .

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

I feel for every post with sound advice for the TS, there are a few where the writer merely seeks to project his/her own insecurities. I feel sorry for those who hide behind the veil of anonymity just to bring a stranger down to his/her level.

How is it possible to judge the TS and say he lacks passion for his proposed career merely because he enquired about its career progression like any normal person would do at the start?

If what the TS says is true, he has experienced far greater adversity in the last few years than any of us have faced in our entire lives. Yet instead of spending the rest of his life wallowing in self-pity, he has made a decision to move forward and reclaim his life.

Seriously, did the TS set any unrealistic goals? For certain he's not under any illusion that his goals would be handed to him overnight. How did anyone come to the conclusion that the TS would lack passion for the proposed profession merely because he asked how long would it take to become a principal, and what the annual increments would be like? These seem like perfectly reasonable questions and I think these 'special people' should really give themselves an award for putting a person down like that. The only person who determines what the TS can or cannot do should be the TS himself.

Even before his accident, the TS has shown that he has the propensity and the willpower to succeed. Working while attending classes at university. Earning a salary of $7,500 at the age of 28. I think the TS knows what it takes to succeed and the hard work that comes along with it. Even at this stage the TS has begun to pick up work and is making enquires for his future.

Lack of passion? Pff please.... I think the TS has more steel in his stomach than everyone in this thread combined.

If the TS succeeds (and I sincerely hope he does), he is exactly the kind of role model the younger generation needs. A real fighter.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

thumbs up for post above.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I feel for every post with sound advice for the TS, there are a few where the writer merely seeks to project his/her own insecurities. I feel sorry for those who hide behind the veil of anonymity just to bring a stranger down to his/her level.

How is it possible to judge the TS and say he lacks passion for his proposed career merely because he enquired about its career progression like any normal person would do at the start?

If what the TS says is true, he has experienced far greater adversity in the last few years than any of us have faced in our entire lives. Yet instead of spending the rest of his life wallowing in self-pity, he has made a decision to move forward and reclaim his life.

Seriously, did the TS set any unrealistic goals? For certain he's not under any illusion that his goals would be handed to him overnight. How did anyone come to the conclusion that the TS would lack passion for the proposed profession merely because he asked how long would it take to become a principal, and what the annual increments would be like? These seem like perfectly reasonable questions and I think these 'special people' should really give themselves an award for putting a person down like that. The only person who determines what the TS can or cannot do should be the TS himself.

Even before his accident, the TS has shown that he has the propensity and the willpower to succeed. Working while attending classes at university. Earning a salary of $7,500 at the age of 28. I think the TS knows what it takes to succeed and the hard work that comes along with it. Even at this stage the TS has begun to pick up work and is making enquires for his future.

Lack of passion? Pff please.... I think the TS has more steel in his stomach than everyone in this thread combined.

If the TS succeeds (and I sincerely hope he does), he is exactly the kind of role model the younger generation needs. A real fighter.
If you want to defend yourself, at least have the guts to use your own name instead of posing as a sympathetic third party.

If you are a 3rd party, you've just posted a wall of useless verbal diaohrea. At least the rest post useful advice, you have offered no insights in kindergarten teaching or tuition except senseless cheerleading and disgusting pity pandering.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Of cos he has set unrealistic goals. He even admitted himself that he still has problems with memory and cognitive skills.

How can anyone with brain damage and have not recovered, teach kindergarden kids?

"Sound advice" is to lower his expectations, and encourage him to take his time and make sure he has recovered fully, theoretically by getting a good psychiatrist diagnosis, and practically by finishing a rigorous academic course.

"Bad advice" is whatever you just said.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

In theory not wrong for TS to ask about money, but in reality would you hire someone even in normal private sector who has no experience and all he is interested in is how much you paying and how long before he is promoted to director and how much the director can get?

Any experience recruiter know this is a big red flag.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 PM

chia188188 is on a distinguished road
Default hello with sincere thanks

Quote:

To whoever you are he/she, sincere thanks for understanding me very much.

Besides the "salary" and "progression" question. I have also asked about other questions and to answer the question, YES! I am still passionate.

Being in such a pathetic state now, I really feel bad to be around peers. Still, I try to motivate myself my imaging that I live in Malaysia where my income is a 1700 x 3 = RM5100. At age 31 after I have gotten my memory like 70 - 80% back, I wanted to commit sucide as what you have mentioned, I really cannot find another Singaporean more unlucky than me. However, before I think of suicide, I will give one last fighting finish. Who knows, I may just make it.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 PM

Exclamation

To whoever you are he/she, sincere thanks for understanding me very much.

Besides the "salary" and "progression" question. I have also asked about other questions and to answer the question, YES! I am still passionate as an early childhood educator

Being in such a pathetic state now, I really feel bad to be around peers. Still, I try to motivate myself my imaging that I live in Malaysia where my income is a 1700 x 3 = RM5100. At age 31 after I have gotten my memory like 70 - 80% back, I wanted to commit sucide as what you have mentioned, I really cannot find another Singaporean more unlucky than me. However, before I think of suicide, I will give one last fighting finish. Who knows, I may just make it.

The accident has changed my perspective of life lots in fact.

At age 27 and 28, besides my day job salary, I am also teaching tuition to those ultra high net worth individuals living in shelford road, old Holland road, cluny road, nassim area. For lower sec science I am charging rates of $90/hr and $120/hr for upper secondary sciences. I am a Singaporean and personally, I dislike Singapore cx as they are stingy. My cx in these areas are 95% Indonesian Chinese and I love them lots. When I teach tuition they have their maids serving me moon cakes and even once alaskian crab when dinner time is close.

I still have some of these parents calling me up. recently one of the parents called me up to offer me $150/hr to teach NJC IP program which I rejected as I know where I stand. I told them honestly what had happened to me. If this were 5 years ago, I would have gladly taken up this assignment and charged her $200/hr.

Rates like these don't fall from the sky. They come with experience.

My experience can be said to come from 13 years old when I started studying for sec 1? 17 years old in my first year of jc bec of poor family background, I am still teaching, but I only charge about $10-$15/hr.

The big break came during my army when I attend C for 6mths due to a fracture ankle. That's when my rates increased to the $30+/hr level and that was in year 2002.

To be honest, I am not a very intelligent person and I studied really hard. because of the fact that I mugged really hard. I developed my ways to spot questions and is able to do so with 70% accuracy for pure chemistry and physics O levels. There are many indo Chinese students who wanted the easy way out. many of them come to me in September when the O level practicals in mid oct. An I just charged them one off project price of $10,000, with guarantee of A2 results or money back (I cannot guarantee A1 as if you are an educator, you will know what A1 and A2 are miles apart in studying efforts). Any yes, I pay income tax for all of these.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
1) Dont buy your desired house, buy what you can afford and live within your means.
2) what is there to catch up with?

You should be able to live comfortably by living frugally considering your high pay & savings in your early years .
When I mentioned my "desired house"

I am talking about 2 room resale flats with in the marsiling or jurong west area in the low $2xx k region.

that is my expectations
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM

Default asking $2500

This accident has changed me.

When I mentioned I wanted to catch up with my peers. I am not referring to my peers who are executive directors in goldman sachs or medical doctors.

I am referring to those who are not highly educated without degrees.

I am asking for $2500 (however it seems that kindergarten teacher offer up to $2350 max)

10 - 15 years down the road when I am in my 40s, hopefully can raise up to be a principal and earn $3800 - $4000/mth and live in a 2 room resale flat.

Yes, that is my goal for now