How to start at a Bank! - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How to start at a Bank!

Old 29-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Verified Member

Cassie is on a distinguished road

Wow, thank you! Haha! Sorry to trouble you but I cannot private message you as you're a Guest. Plus, I don't think it's too smart to put my LinkedIn address here though... could you drop me a pm if it's not too much trouble? Sorry!

Old 29-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Sounds like a typical local freshie with below average academics and mediocre working experience falling in love with the idea of working in a bank.

I bet you this kind claim to be passionate with banking cannot even describe what a bank does in general.

Tip to TS: Banking is not about big pay big bonus, dolling up and strutting around in style at CBD living the socialite life. In fact most banking BO are averagely paid, get below public sector bonus, mixing around with your Chennai & Manila friends in various business park service centres.

And yes, the above posters are correct, you cannot even get into these jobs in a bank. Your only realistic chance is to go do frontline branch level sales, but then I bet you you will chicken out and all the bank passion will evaporate claiming you are not good in sales, dont want KPI, too stressful etc.

Old 29-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Verified Member

I have actually already applied for front line sales in the 3 local banks and a few large foreign ones. Awaiting replies to my applications.
Well, pm me your number and be my guinea pig cold call if I do get it!

Old 29-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

for someone interested in aml, u havent posted a thing in the aml thread. speaks a lot about you.
Old 29-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
for someone interested in aml, u havent posted a thing in the aml thread. speaks a lot about you.
she already say as long as the job is in a bank doesn't matter. aml is just a random term that gets thrown up becauz its in a bank.
Old 29-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Verified Member

I have read it and didn't feel like I have anything of value to add. Furthermore, all my questions about AML can be found easily online.
My situation now is getting my foot into the proverbial interview door.

Old 29-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I have read it and didn't feel like I have anything of value to add. Furthermore, all my questions about AML can be found easily online.
My situation now is getting my foot into the proverbial interview door.
That basically sums up your main problem, it's a typical mistake made by youngsters. You do not know or really care about any specific discipline or skillset, thinking that as long as you can "get a foot" everything will open up.

If AML is truly your passion, why are you applying for random jobs like branch sales that has nothing to do with AML? Please don't tell me it's this nonsense about as long as I can smoke my way into the bank I can "navigate" my way to the ideal jobs I want.

If you had even half a clue of how banks are structured and career mapping is done, you would have realised how idiotic your plan sounds. The skillsets, promotion, connections you are exposed to is so far from AML you might as well just join any other industry and hope for the best.

I am OK with youngsters lusting for big money and social prestige, but at least be honest to yourself of what you want. Don't tcss pretending that you are passionate on something but display absolutely no knowledge of it and just using it as a smokescreen.
Old 29-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Verified Member

Woah there! Don't pop a coronary, I swear you're getting more worked up over me, than I am getting worked up over online HR portals!
Well firstly I do somewhat know the bank structure (I have friends working in a few. Yes, I have asked them to refer me. No, it didn't work as HR rejects my application citing "No banking experience")
Anyways, regarding my lack of knowledge on AML, I do have to agree with you. I have zero knowledge on practical Anti Money Laundering. I do have, however, theoretical knowledge as I will listen to webinars (free ones, cos I'm cheap like that) and have done the online courses.
Now, you seem to have a clearer idea of the banking career path, so help me! What can I do to get into my dream job?
So far I have:
-Been applying for every AML/KYC job that appears on job boards and individual bank sites. (And other entry level bank jobs, since I want to cast a wider net after not getting replies for a long time)
-Pm-ed people on LinkedIn introducing myself and asking for a referral in :X (yea I know, creepy. Although no one replies, and rightly so hahaha! I mean I wouldn't if some random person asked me that)
-have not tried badgering the AML people on this forum yet though, I should go do it now

Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated, unconstructive ones won't appreciated that much, but hey! If it floats your boat
Old 29-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That basically sums up your main problem, it's a typical mistake made by youngsters. You do not know or really care about any specific discipline or skillset, thinking that as long as you can "get a foot" everything will open up.

If AML is truly your passion, why are you applying for random jobs like branch sales that has nothing to do with AML? Please don't tell me it's this nonsense about as long as I can smoke my way into the bank I can "navigate" my way to the ideal jobs I want.

If you had even half a clue of how banks are structured and career mapping is done, you would have realised how idiotic your plan sounds. The skillsets, promotion, connections you are exposed to is so far from AML you might as well just join any other industry and hope for the best.

I am OK with youngsters lusting for big money and social prestige, but at least be honest to yourself of what you want. Don't tcss pretending that you are passionate on something but display absolutely no knowledge of it and just using it as a smokescreen.
forget it lah, every season you find thousands of this kind get buried and life goes on. u really think she care abt what anyone here say meh? she cannot even secure a 1st rd interview, just dreaming someone can share with her magic pill/advice to let her suddenly ace & get the dream banking job. come & go, not the first nor the last joker.
Old 29-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Woah there! Don't pop a coronary, I swear you're getting more worked up over me, than I am getting worked up over online HR portals!
Well firstly I do somewhat know the bank structure (I have friends working in a few. Yes, I have asked them to refer me. No, it didn't work as HR rejects my application citing "No banking experience")
Anyways, regarding my lack of knowledge on AML, I do have to agree with you. I have zero knowledge on practical Anti Money Laundering. I do have, however, theoretical knowledge as I will listen to webinars (free ones, cos I'm cheap like that) and have done the online courses.
Now, you seem to have a clearer idea of the banking career path, so help me! What can I do to get into my dream job?
So far I have:
-Been applying for every AML/KYC job that appears on job boards and individual bank sites. (And other entry level bank jobs, since I want to cast a wider net after not getting replies for a long time)
-Pm-ed people on LinkedIn introducing myself and asking for a referral in :X (yea I know, creepy. Although no one replies, and rightly so hahaha! I mean I wouldn't if some random person asked me that)
-have not tried badgering the AML people on this forum yet though, I should go do it now

Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated, unconstructive ones won't appreciated that much, but hey! If it floats your boat
I like your never say die attitude. Good! I support your courage. Attend those events where you can socialize with managers or directors from the bank. Will be a great step to your career. Dont care what others think. Also quit your job now, so that in any case if there is a opportunity, you can jump in straight away

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app