Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Assistant Director position in Government Agencies

Old 28-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I work in a ministry and total 7 years experience also, current total package inclsuive of bonus only 87k, to exceed 100k in just 7 years usually need consistent B+ & above performance.
What's your age (2015)? NS?

When did you enter mx11?

Old 28-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

Default Guy served NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
They offered me <$6500. Personally I feel that it is low.
Currently I am getting $5700 (base) + $300 (allowance), and my company gives 6 mths bonus (including AWS).
I highly doubt MAS will be able to match the bonus.

Also, looking at this as reference from 2011:
2011 Civil Service Salary Range
Job grade: MX10
Job title: Assistant Director, Deputy Director
Pay scale: S$6,350 – S$9,050 / S$9,051 – S$10,400

Job grade: MX11
Job title: Manager, Assistant Director
Pay scale: S$4,100 – S$6,160 / S$6,161 – S$7,190

A MX11 AD is already earning minimum $6161. I guess by now will be higher.
Or is this reference too optimistic?
Hi bro,

In your case, it's pretty clear you should reject the offer as the increment is less than 10% (also, take note not all companies pay AWS, so you should incorporate the AWS into your "base" salary as well)

I've 7.5 yrs working exp as well (but in finance) and currently earning 7.1k basic (excluding my aws and this yr's increment). My spouse's fren, a IT consultant, 8+yrs exp making 120k all in (MNC)

As some pointed out, your pay may be higher than many public sector guys but I think besides the risks of changing a job (such as getting a bad boss, culture mis-fit etc), you want to be compensated appropriately (at least +10%) so that you can focus on doing your job well when you join them, and not keep thinking about how they have low-balled you, especially if the workload gets demanding or high, which will make you feel like moving again soon due to resentment. (i've taken a pay cut before and the feeling is terrible when the work gets tough)

There are many listed MNCs out there who can give you a better offer given IT grads are always in demand due to your skillsets. Don't be in a hurry to take the offer -

- as they may improve their offer if you reject them first time

- if you haven't received this yr's increment and bonus from your current firm

- unless your current boss is driving you crazy

- unless maybe the stat board offers VERY good work life balance or sponsor a Masters? Im not sure

Lastly, don't be a job hopper for a small/non-existent increment. Aim to stay long enough (3-5yrs minimum) with an employer that rewards a loyal employee with learning/promotion opportunities and you can do well in the long run (ie don't take up an offer you're unhappy with and move again in a short timeframe)

Just sharing some mistakes i made and lessons i learnt

Cheers

Old 29-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

A couple of questionable points

Quote:
Hi bro,

In your case, it's pretty clear you should reject the offer as the increment is less than 10% (also, take note not all companies pay AWS, so you should incorporate the AWS into your "base" salary as well)
Not really, it is very common for pte sector to take pay cuts up to 20% to join public sector. Everyone has different needs and priorities and individual circumstance, there is no hard and fast rule that says you should reject if increment <10%.

Quote:
There are many listed MNCs out there who can give you a better offer given IT grads are always in demand due to your skillsets.
How would you know that? You have no idea on the guy's CV history or his skillsets other than the fact it has something to do with IT.

The IT function has a few niche areas where market is good, but it is also undeniable that large patches of IT are suffering from severe comeptition from foreginers and job restructurings.

You should refrain from such blanket statements unless you really know exact details of his skillset and the market he operates in.

Quote:
- as they may improve their offer if you reject them first time
Might work for the private sector, but doesn't work for gov organizations.

Old 13-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

It seems like most people here either don't work in the CS or don't know what they are talking about.

Anyway I have talked to the HR of MAS. These are the job titles and typical career progression for graduates, fyi.

1st year: Training Officer (TO)
2nd year: Senior Officer 1
4th yr: Senior Officer 2 (Associate)
7th yr or more: Senior Officer 3 (Assistant Director)
Old 13-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It seems like most people here either don't work in the CS or don't know what they are talking about.

Anyway I have talked to the HR of MAS. These are the job titles and typical career progression for graduates, fyi.

1st year: Training Officer (TO)
2nd year: Senior Officer 1
4th yr: Senior Officer 2 (Associate)
7th yr or more: Senior Officer 3 (Assistant Director)
Which HR person did you talk to? Was it someone high up Director & above?

TBH I am quite surprised HR say & commit this sort of thing with precise timelines of career progression for a graduate. Anyway I don't think the timelines for Associate and AD is correct.

You certainly do not need to work in MAS for 4 years to reach Associate level. Neither is the promotion to AD @ 7 years accurate. 7 years is possible, but only for small minority of high performers or special skillsets they hire from outside. Most people reach AD in MAS usually need about 9-12 years of relevant experience.

If what the HR say to you is accurate, I should be seeing a lot of 29-32 yr old male / and 27-30 yr old female associates, this seems older than the MAS associates I know who are mostly in their mid 20s. Similary for the AD side, I should be seeing a lot of 32 yr old male & 30 yr old female ADs. Again this doesn't really tally as most MAS junior ADs I've seen are all mid to late 30s.
Old 14-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Unregistered

Thats even weirder. From casual conversation with a contact, I was told that you'll reach AD in your 3rd year in MAS. Thereafter it's a long long route to DD, which you may only hit after 12-15 years.

Old 14-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thats even weirder. From casual conversation with a contact, I was told that you'll reach AD in your 3rd year in MAS. Thereafter it's a long long route to DD, which you may only hit after 12-15 years.
Pls don't talk rubbish if you do not have enough evidence to back your claims.
Old 14-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Which HR person did you talk to? Was it someone high up Director & above?

TBH I am quite surprised HR say & commit this sort of thing with precise timelines of career progression for a graduate. Anyway I don't think the timelines for Associate and AD is correct.

You certainly do not need to work in MAS for 4 years to reach Associate level. Neither is the promotion to AD @ 7 years accurate. 7 years is possible, but only for small minority of high performers or special skillsets they hire from outside. Most people reach AD in MAS usually need about 9-12 years of relevant experience.
They mentioned to me it is the typical timeline. It certainly does not mean that that you will definitely promote to AD after 7 years.

I will be joining them as AD with ~7.5 years experience.
I am quite sure my degree (2nd upper honours) and skill sets are taken into consideration too.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Hope someone could help advice me.

I have been applying for an AD position in this particular statboard for months.

1st time applying, I applied for salary $8k.

No news for weeks.

2nd time saw a new position at same statboard, I applied $7k.

Again no news for weeks.

3rd time saw the same position at same statboard, I told myself I wana get interviewed! So I applied $5.8k!!!

Then 1 month later, HR called me up for an interview next week!!

So I sincerely hope someone will help me with this interview. I know that at the end of the session, they will discuss about the topic of salary.

My Background:
Deg holder. Done NS. 7 years of related work experience. I have worked for 15 years. I am 40 years old this year.

Currently my workplace had salary cut for 2 years because company is generally not doing well. My salary is cut till $6.5k and no bonus for 2 years too.

My qns is can I negotiate for a basic salary of $6.5k pm? (I read in this thread that AD position basic is $6k+ already, will they pay me more than I asked of $5.8k? or will they even bargain down? I suspect they granted me interview cos of my low asking) I really wish to join civil service for job stability and a regular income without worrying if the company will go bust. So that is my direction at the moment. Hope someone can give me a gd advice.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

It's quite unusual to negotiate for a pay higher than what is stated as your expected salary. But I suppose if you are selected, there's no harm negotiating for a higher pay, citing your pay cuts. Though, even with $5.8k, your annual package would already be higher than what you are getting now, as civil service pays quite good bonus, mimimally 3 months taking into account AWS, variable bonus, and performance bonus.