Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Citibank Lazada Credit Card, Free $150 Lazada Vouchers* - Click to Apply Now

Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have been working in pte sector for 12 years. Current package is $10k pm and $180k pa.

a friend intro me to one of the senior mgt in a statutory board looking for someone to help drive operations. Sounds like a interesting project to me, able to do something good for the country and also cut down on traveling.

We haven't talked about remuneration yet, verbal indication is this role is a DD title.

I personally do not care for title, as long as i'm compensated fairly. My bonus is coming in Mar and if i join the SB, I will be forfeiting it. Substantial to me, about 5 months conservatively. Hence I indicated increment of 15% over my current package to mitigate some of the pain. Which is also fair in my experience I get that kind of increment changing job in the pte sector.

my gut feel is that the interviewer is thinking of offering me the same base salary. He tried to sell me that I will have work life balance, stable job, etc.

I told him I currently leave at 5:30-6pm without having to bring work home. Only bearbug is i have to travel once or twice a month. So that's pretty comfortable hours for me already.

Stability also not an issue, as I have not heard of anyone being retrenched in my company even during the recession periods.

My question is - will there be room for negotiations. Or is public service salary so formula driven, it must be within a certain scale or number.
There is a "complex matrix" that HR calculates based on your years of relevant (key word relevant) experience for the job they are offering you. The job would be map to a job grade (e.g. JR9), and they will peg you to a grade (usually one or two levels below the job grade, so e.g. MX10). MX10 will be tagged to a salary range (e.g. $9k to $12k). You may negotiate within this salary range, but anything beyond that is likely non-negotiable.

The tricky part is that HR will never reveal the salary range until you accept the job offer and you sign the deal (your contract will state your salary, grade and the salary range).

So you need to find out:
1) how many years of relevant experience they consider you to have
2) what is the job grade of the job they are offering you
3) what is the grade they are pegging you to

Then come to this forum and try to search for your grade's salary range. And go back to HR to try to negotiate your salary within this range. Depending on how much they want to hire you, they might try to match your offer. But all this will take some time (many clearances and approvals required) so you need to be patient.

My take is if you are joining civil service mainly for the money, then it's not the right motivation. Like you already mentioned, you already have work life balance and stability so what exactly is the main draw for you to join? If it's the work, then be prepared to sacrifice for the pay.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i have been working in pte sector for 12 years. Current package is $10k pm and $180k pa.

a friend intro me to one of the senior mgt in a statutory board looking for someone to help drive operations. Sounds like a interesting project to me, able to do something good for the country and also cut down on traveling.

We haven't talked about remuneration yet, verbal indication is this role is a DD title.

I personally do not care for title, as long as i'm compensated fairly. My bonus is coming in Mar and if i join the SB, I will be forfeiting it. Substantial to me, about 5 months conservatively. Hence I indicated increment of 15% over my current package to mitigate some of the pain. Which is also fair in my experience I get that kind of increment changing job in the pte sector.

my gut feel is that the interviewer is thinking of offering me the same base salary. He tried to sell me that I will have work life balance, stable job, etc.

I told him I currently leave at 5:30-6pm without having to bring work home. Only bearbug is i have to travel once or twice a month. So that's pretty comfortable hours for me already.

Stability also not an issue, as I have not heard of anyone being retrenched in my company even during the recession periods.

My question is - will there be room for negotiations. Or is public service salary so formula driven, it must be within a certain scale or number.

As your bonus is quite substantial, public sector probably cant match them consistently.

It sounds like they will try to match your base. I dont really see the need for you to leave. Unless you are talking about 20% and above increment.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 03-10-2018, 02:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Based on what you wrote in the second half, your current job works just fine. Why leave then? And why try to force fit yourself into Public Service since there is limited attraction? Why even bother to ask? Unless the goal is to throw darts at PS.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Based on what you wrote in the second half, your current job works just fine. Why leave then? And why try to force fit yourself into Public Service since there is limited attraction? Why even bother to ask? Unless the goal is to throw darts at PS.

current job is fine, but getting rather mundane as i have been in it for a long time.

The opportunity in public service looks like a new challenge. I'm not looking to get a big pay jump, just asking not to be worse off.

I'm definitely far from CEO level like earlier poster mentioned, but if it is required for me to take a pay cut or join at same base salary, it will be too big a sacrifice.

I'm a little disappointed as I would imagine public service salary is competitive for mid career joiners.

Anyway, I will wait and see what is offered on table.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I joined a ministry at the start of this year. May I know if there will be confirmation increment when my 1 year anniversary is up? If so, would it affect merit increment in Apr (i.e. Because there is confirmation increment, the % of merit increment is smaller)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
current job is fine, but getting rather mundane as i have been in it for a long time.

The opportunity in public service looks like a new challenge. I'm not looking to get a big pay jump, just asking not to be worse off.

I'm definitely far from CEO level like earlier poster mentioned, but if it is required for me to take a pay cut or join at same base salary, it will be too big a sacrifice.

I'm a little disappointed as I would imagine public service salary is competitive for mid career joiners.

End of the day it is still public service. My friend who was a scholar and bonded for 6 years and finally left the service recently. I heard of people getting 150k to 160k after 10 years in public service.

So you have already exceeded their limit.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Pay Grade and Typical Job Title for MX11A

I applied for and was appointed as Senior Asst Dir in a Govt Ministry.

The grade is MX11A. Does anybody know the pay range for MX11A?

Currently, the salary offered is ~$6.8k.

This is close to my salary in private sector of $7k (include 13month component in monthly salary).

Before my short stint in private sector, I was in the public service for almost 10 years. Last drawn around was around $~6.2k and my grade was equivalent to MX11.

Would appreciate any views and comments. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

DD title and at $10k pm or $180k pa.? Wow, thats title inflation for you. So its really prevalent in the CS to inflate titles to compensate for lower remuneration.

The senior engineers in my company without any D in their title are already getting that much. A DD in the company would be commanding $250k to $300k annually.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
DD title and at $10k pm or $180k pa.? Wow, thats title inflation for you. So its really prevalent in the CS to inflate titles to compensate for lower remuneration.

The senior engineers in my company without any D in their title are already getting that much. A DD in the company would be commanding $250k to $300k annually.
What is your position then? Title allocation depends on the company and functions. Banks also give inflated titles as it is a requirement for them to face client. As for your company, senior engineers do not need to have that.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

That amount is what I am drawing now. The offer on the table has to be higher than the 180k which I am getting now.

I donít really care about title. You can call me a manager or executive. As long as the work is something I like and salary fair