Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Verified Member

ridhwan1820 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice: Civil service job offer

Hello everybody. I am a fresh grad from local uni with a FCH. I have been trying and trying to get a civil service position for i prefer a career with stability. However, I havent had much luck until recently.

I have been offered a position in the civil service with a pay of 3550, which i find is fairly good - because most lab based jobs in research institutions (for my major) pay about 3-3.4k at most. However, the civil service position is only for 6 months so i am not entitled to bonuses etc. In addition, i did enquire if there is a possibility of renewal of contract at the end. The person that interviewed me told that "they will open the position up to the public and you will have to apply again just like everybody else- but you will have an advantage" . After getting the offer a few months later, I asked the HR the same question and the HR replied, "towards the end of the contract, if you see any potential positions up for taking, you can drop us an email so that we can consider you"..

I have been offered some research positions in universities- one that pays 3k flat (6 months) and one that may hit 3.3k if i am lucky (1 year). Any advice on this?

If i were to take the civil service job ($3550, 6 months), what are my chances of an internal transfer within the stat board. How will other civil service sectors view my resume when i apply for other government jobs towards the end of my contract. I am thoroughly OK with doing any degree-pay government job as long as it is within my comfort zone- teaching, customs, ICA, NEA etc, so i can afford to apply widely.

* ps I will be turning 30 next year, dont know if that is a negative in the civil service sector. Will be happy to get advise from the lao jiaos here.