Compare civil service salary - Page 414 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4131 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess you are referring to MTI. Most ministries/Stat Board start with MX13 or equalvilant grade (Exe, AM, M, etc). Most can reach MX11 (M, AD, etc). The beauty is you can be a MX13 mgr promoted in grade to MX11 mgr doing the same time so sometimes you can have a supervisor (AD) & a M at the same grade. In short, MX11 is an attainable grade even if you are only ordinary but the catch is since you are not having a more senior apptment, you will most prob end your career at MX11.
join at mx13, say age 25. Promoted 1-2 years later to mx12 (whatever the designation) for guys, age 26-27. Gals maybe 1-2 years later. Then 5-7 years promo to mx11, guys age 31-34. Then no other promo until retirement??

Reply With Quote
  #4132 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
join at mx13, say age 25. Promoted 1-2 years later to mx12 (whatever the designation) for guys, age 26-27. Gals maybe 1-2 years later. Then 5-7 years promo to mx11, guys age 31-34. Then no other promo until retirement??
There's MX11A now. MX10, not for everyone. Getting more challenging in future with more grads & not enough higher level jobs. Most of the D's & DDs in my org are only in their 40s. Pple in top don't move, no one below moves. That's the reality.

Reply With Quote
  #4133 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
join at mx13, say age 25. Promoted 1-2 years later to mx12 (whatever the designation) for guys, age 26-27. Gals maybe 1-2 years later. Then 5-7 years promo to mx11, guys age 31-34. Then no other promo until retirement??
That's why it's a better plan to join private sector first, try it out for, say 5 to 6 years. Then if you're not happy or it doesn't work out for you, you can join the CS.

Then you'll be mx11 around early 40s... prob can hit mx11a couple yrs later, so from late 40s till retire, stuck at mx11a ... still okay, not so bad.

From pte sector joining CS is easy, but moving from CS, esp after years of service, to pte sector is almost impossible - unless you're at the very top level appointment like superscale.

So my best advice is to always start at pte sector rather than join CS or PS directly - especially so for non-scholars.

Reply With Quote
  #4134 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

considering to apply for hdb/iras/customs.

anyone knows how the increments and promotions work?
Reply With Quote
  #4135 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I beg to differ, that joining the civil service is easy. I do agree, though, that moving from the government sector to the private sector could be difficult after a while.

Back to the first argument. It has always been the case that the civil service sets stringent criteria when it comes to hiring. In general, a second upper degree from reputable universities is the norm. This itself filters out many candidates. Many people who work in the private sector as mediocre professions want very much to think that they can easily join the civil service....it is a matter of whether they want to or not. I certainly do not think so. Take a look at your own qualifications and credentials, and then apply for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's why it's a better plan to join private sector first, try it out for, say 5 to 6 years. Then if you're not happy or it doesn't work out for you, you can join the CS.

Then you'll be mx11 around early 40s... prob can hit mx11a couple yrs later, so from late 40s till retire, stuck at mx11a ... still okay, not so bad.

From pte sector joining CS is easy, but moving from CS, esp after years of service, to pte sector is almost impossible - unless you're at the very top level appointment like superscale.

So my best advice is to always start at pte sector rather than join CS or PS directly - especially so for non-scholars.
Reply With Quote
  #4136 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I beg to differ, that joining the civil service is easy. I do agree, though, that moving from the government sector to the private sector could be difficult after a while.

Back to the first argument. It has always been the case that the civil service sets stringent criteria when it comes to hiring. In general, a second upper degree from reputable universities is the norm. This itself filters out many candidates. Many people who work in the private sector as mediocre professions want very much to think that they can easily join the civil service....it is a matter of whether they want to or not. I certainly do not think so. Take a look at your own qualifications and credentials, and then apply for it.
Its easy lah. been in and out of it a few times. Just need to have the relevant skill set and apply to the right place at the right time. just like what we have always been doing in the private sector all the while. even with high standards, etc, there is always the issue of demand and supply. there are fairly limited singaporeans who look towards a life long career in the civil service these days.
Reply With Quote

  #4137 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Its easy lah. been in and out of it a few times. Just need to have the relevant skill set and apply to the right place at the right time. just like what we have always been doing in the private sector all the while. even with high standards, etc, there is always the issue of demand and supply. there are fairly limited singaporeans who look towards a life long career in the civil service these days.
Are you in a functional role? I think those in functional roles have more mobility to move in and out. However, let's say you are in a policy or regulatory role, it isn't as easy to find a private sector role, unless you move into compliance roles in heavily regulated sectors.
Reply With Quote
  #4138 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There's MX11A now. MX10, not for everyone. Getting more challenging in future with more grads & not enough higher level jobs. Most of the D's & DDs in my org are only in their 40s. Pple in top don't move, no one below moves. That's the reality.
So I guess the default CEP for most is now mx11a?

For myself, I estimate that I will hit ceiling of mx11 by 35. I'm 31, no NS.

Worried that that they won't promote me to mx11a. And even if they promote to mx11a, will hit mx11a ceiling within 4-5 years. Might hit mx11a ceiling at age 40.
Reply With Quote
  #4139 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i think i am caught in the same situation are you are.

I hope that, even if i am stuck at the MX11 ceiling, it would be for just 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I guess the default CEP for most is now mx11a?

For myself, I estimate that I will hit ceiling of mx11 by 35. I'm 31, no NS.

Worried that that they won't promote me to mx11a. And even if they promote to mx11a, will hit mx11a ceiling within 4-5 years. Might hit mx11a ceiling at age 40.
Reply With Quote
  #4140 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think i am caught in the same situation are you are.

I hope that, even if i am stuck at the MX11 ceiling, it would be for just 1 year.
lol. Increment gets really small when you edge nearer to ceiling. For example, you may get 50 bucks increment if you are like S$300- 400 away from ceiling. So it will be years before u actually hit ceiling. fyi pls.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 2,712 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
617 Replies, 462,011 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,339 Replies, 5,673,146 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 2,459 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,212 Replies, 2,742,409 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,730 Replies, 1,646,649 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,952 Replies, 3,759,582 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,828 Replies, 283,314 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
6 Replies, 379 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 27,280 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,346 Replies, 1,935,819 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
410 Replies, 295,757 Views
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,912 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,103,527 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 91,877 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 508 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 34,319 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,284 Replies, 1,005,230 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 71,418 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
2 Replies, 321 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 268,551 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 18,759 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 28,995 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,275 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program
9 Replies, 4,068 Views
Advantages
1 Replies, 927 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 101,598 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,654 Replies, 791,050 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 47,710 Views
Corporate Banking Analyst
7 Replies, 764 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2