Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's a tiny case. No one was injured. No damage done. Unless he felt there's criminal intimidation and decided to pursue. It'll take him time and lots of uphill effort to prove his case. Know the law. Be remorseful but you also need to protect yourself and your family. It's the real world here. No second chance.
Not true. Discussions on performance rankings and cep are based on bosses' impressions. This incident won't help. Your best bet is that this year someone messes up worse, or it gets forgotten next year

Old 13-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

Not true at all. Performance appraisals are based on your work performances. And the Civil Service does not dismiss employees frivolously. It has to be something really bad like corruption, theft, serious insubordination (putting your bosses, organisation in a bad light), leaking classified info and AWOL.

If it is a traffic dispute that escalated into an altercation, it will not necessary warrant a bad appraisal (not least dismissal), especially since no injury was caused.

Quote:
Not true. Discussions on performance rankings and cep are based on bosses' impressions. This incident won't help. Your best bet is that this year someone messes up worse, or it gets forgotten next year

Old 13-07-2013, 03:36 PM
A Civil Servant

Quote:
Not true at all. Performance appraisals are based on your work performances. And the Civil Service does not dismiss employees frivolously. It has to be something really bad like corruption, theft, serious insubordination (putting your bosses, organisation in a bad light), leaking classified info and AWOL.

If it is a traffic dispute that escalated into an altercation, it will not necessary warrant a bad appraisal (not least dismissal), especially since no injury was caused.
Do you honestly think that the appraisal or promotion board would favourably view an employee who cannot hold his temper well to the extent he inflicts physical damage? To promote this guy into a position of more responsibility and/or leadership would be risky, to say the least.

Old 14-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

I work in the HR of one of the ministries. It really depends on whether there is a formal charge or not. Otherwise, there won't be any records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Civil Servant View Post
Do you honestly think that the appraisal or promotion board would favourably view an employee who cannot hold his temper well to the extent he inflicts physical damage? To promote this guy into a position of more responsibility and/or leadership would be risky, to say the least.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I work in the HR of one of the ministries. It really depends on whether there is a formal charge or not. Otherwise, there won't be any records.
A formal charge will mean you are in serious trouble. If there isn't a formal charge but your bosses are informed, you will be in less serious trouble, but still have trouble. Unless you are a star scholar, or your bosses love you and are willing to put it behind them (both highly unlikely), expect some repercussions. It could be a CEP downgrade, a performance grade downgrade, a lower ranking, or all 3. Even small things can sway impressions about performance (it's never 100% objective). This sort of character-revealing incident won't help.
Old 14-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

if u dont know anything about HR procedures, u will be better off keeping quiet.

Quote:
A formal charge will mean you are in serious trouble. If there isn't a formal charge but your bosses are informed, you will be in less serious trouble, but still have trouble. Unless you are a star scholar, or your bosses love you and are willing to put it behind them (both highly unlikely), expect some repercussions. It could be a CEP downgrade, a performance grade downgrade, a lower ranking, or all 3. Even small things can sway impressions about performance (it's never 100% objective). This sort of character-revealing incident won't help.

Old 15-07-2013, 05:48 AM
Unregistered

Nah...It is not that easy to downgrade one's CEP (just as it is hard to enhance it). Needs to go through senior management (i.e. PS) approval. And I don't agree that bosses would be so quick and keen put down their staff. It is not as if they are waiting everyday in office for something bad to crop up and then they capitalise on it. Similar incidents have happened in my department but my bosses and HR have protected their staff. So don't worry.

Quote:
Old 15-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Unregistered

dont worry lah. In all likelihood, the police wont inform your Ministry.

Quote:
Hi all,

Need some advice from folks from the civil service.

Recently, I had a brush with the law. What happened was I had a quarrel with a cab driver (who endangered my family's life with his reckless driving). To cut the long story short, I confronted him and, in the fit of anger, I kicked his door although I did not touch him at all. He subsequently lodged a police report and now I am being investigated for road rage. I explained to the police my side of the story as well as submitted the video footage of the cab's reckless driving. I also admitted to the police that I have over-reacted and am willing to apologize and make restitution to the cab driver for the damage done to his door. Personally, I do feel that I have made a mistake and should not have taken the law in my own hands.

Anyway, the police has asked for my particulars, including my ministry. The officer said that the decision to inform my ministry lies with his senior management. The outcome of the investigation is still pending.

My question is what happens if they do inform my ministry, even if in the end, I am not charged. What's the worst that can happen? Is my career in the civil service down the drain already?

Thanks.
Old 15-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
dont worry lah. In all likelihood, the police wont inform your Ministry.
you never know. i can sense that the civil service is doing some internal cleansing now, so it will not surprise me if such records get into the civil service HR system.
Old 15-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

aiya, people like you just wanna hope others screw up and suffer. haha.

Quote:
you never know. i can sense that the civil service is doing some internal cleansing now, so it will not surprise me if such records get into the civil service HR system.