Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

Default Brushes with the law

Hi all,

Need some advice from folks from the civil service.

Recently, I had a brush with the law. What happened was I had a quarrel with a cab driver (who endangered my family's life with his reckless driving). To cut the long story short, I confronted him and, in the fit of anger, I kicked his door although I did not touch him at all. He subsequently lodged a police report and now I am being investigated for road rage. I explained to the police my side of the story as well as submitted the video footage of the cab's reckless driving. I also admitted to the police that I have over-reacted and am willing to apologize and make restitution to the cab driver for the damage done to his door. Personally, I do feel that I have made a mistake and should not have taken the law in my own hands.

Anyway, the police has asked for my particulars, including my ministry. The officer said that the decision to inform my ministry lies with his senior management. The outcome of the investigation is still pending.

My question is what happens if they do inform my ministry, even if in the end, I am not charged. What's the worst that can happen? Is my career in the civil service down the drain already?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Need some advice from folks from the civil service.

Recently, I had a brush with the law. What happened was I had a quarrel with a cab driver (who endangered my family's life with his reckless driving). To cut the long story short, I confronted him and, in the fit of anger, I kicked his door although I did not touch him at all. He subsequently lodged a police report and now I am being investigated for road rage. I explained to the police my side of the story as well as submitted the video footage of the cab's reckless driving. I also admitted to the police that I have over-reacted and am willing to apologize and make restitution to the cab driver for the damage done to his door. Personally, I do feel that I have made a mistake and should not have taken the law in my own hands.

Anyway, the police has asked for my particulars, including my ministry. The officer said that the decision to inform my ministry lies with his senior management. The outcome of the investigation is still pending.

My question is what happens if they do inform my ministry, even if in the end, I am not charged. What's the worst that can happen? Is my career in the civil service down the drain already?

Thanks.
You should not have admitted outright no matter how remorseful you are. This is the real world. Deny deny deny. Learn from Bill Clinton and the recent high profile cases.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I joined the Civil Service a year ago, 26 years old, 2nd upper from local uni. starting to feel abit disillusioned at work as there are many scholars and MAs who are naturally given more exposure and learning opportunities.

To be v frank, I joined my current Ministry b'cos the job market wasn't fantastic (and still isn't acty). Tried for the MA prog but only made it to the roundtable discussion and no further. Currently drawing about $3.6k (with NS) and to be adjusted to $3.9k+ upon confirmation. I know this is a pretty decent salary for a relatively young officer as compared to pte sector. Qns is, I'm starting to think I'm not cut out to be a civil servant, or at least I know this is not what I want to do for life. Don't get me wrong, I want to make a difference and achieve higher public value. Everyone though knows there's a glass ceiling for non-scholars and the work-life balance isn't that great too. I'm willing to clock 10-11 hour work days, but I guess it's important to find that sense of fulfillment and meaning in your work.

I would think i'm at the crossroads now whereby if I continue to stay, I ought to commit and make a lifelong career out of it. Otherwise, I should jump out before I get too mired into this comfort zone. I also believe many young grads may similarly face a mismatch of expectations and aspirations upon entering the workforce - I'm fully cognisant of that and I do calibrate my self-expectations from time to time.

Pretty sure there are many bros out here who have faced this similar predicament before and trodden this path - mind enlightening a fellow young junior, albeit somewhat lost sheep here? Whether you've chosen to stay, or leave, and how it has panned out for you. Understand that no two paths are the same, but I'd still gladly appreciate all advice and inputs
I believe that this is a very personal choice. Different people have different aspirations in life. For me, I chose to stay in the civil service because I dont really want to compete much in the pte sector and I wanted a stable job. I know in the long run, those high achievers from my cohort that went to pte sector will eventually earn much more than me and do much greater things than me and see more of the world than I do. But that is what they want. For me, I just want to live in my comfortable 4-room HDB with my wife and bring my kids up properly. Working in civil service, you might not get 'full', but you will also never go hungry. You might not change the world or do wondrous things but 'success' in life is very relative and different people have different ideas of success. Its up to you as to what you want to achieve in life. If what you want is do be a millionaire and invent something then go ahead.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should not have admitted outright no matter how remorseful you are. This is the real world. Deny deny deny. Learn from Bill Clinton and the recent high profile cases.
Well, it did crossed my mind. But decided against it as I felt very bad about my own hooligan conduct. I thought it would be better to be upfront and frank. Besides, he had a passenger in the cab and could easily submit an eye witness if need be.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Unregistered

Hi Everybody,

I have a total of 5 yrs working experience and I just graduated from NTU part-time engineering degree with second upper honors and 'A' for FYP. If i am going to apply for gov job, how much salary must I ask for? Maybe $3200? My Current Pay is $2600. I am 27 this year.
Is it very hard to enter gov job with my current age? Will they even want to consider NTU Part time?

Thank you
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi Everybody,

I have a total of 5 yrs working experience and I just graduated from NTU part-time engineering degree with second upper honors and 'A' for FYP. If i am going to apply for gov job, how much salary must I ask for? Maybe $3200? My Current Pay is $2600. I am 27 this year.
Is it very hard to enter gov job with my current age? Will they even want to consider NTU Part time?

Thank you
i suppose your '5yrs working exp" is when you are at poly grad, doing poly level of job!!!?!?

do you serve NS??

the ministry will probably hire you as fresh degree grad, with NS, 2nd upper will get between 3.3k-3.6k

Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

I don't think your employer (the civil service) will impose any punishment on such an infraction that took place outside of office and work hours, especially when no jail time is involved. People do get involved in fights but they don't necessary lose their jobs. What about the tons of traffic and parking offenders ? If I recall correctly there was a public figure who abused her maid, was fined but still in the employment of a stat board.

The other issue is honesty. Being honest is the best and you did right here. When you start with one lie, you have to cook up more and more lies to cover the earlier ones. At the end of the day, you have to answer to the maker.

Quote:
Well, it did crossed my mind. But decided against it as I felt very bad about my own hooligan conduct. I thought it would be better to be upfront and frank. Besides, he had a passenger in the cab and could easily submit an eye witness if need be.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't think your employer (the civil service) will impose any punishment on such an infraction that took place outside of office and work hours, especially when no jail time is involved. People do get involved in fights but they don't necessary lose their jobs. What about the tons of traffic and parking offenders ? If I recall correctly there was a public figure who abused her maid, was fined but still in the employment of a stat board.

The other issue is honesty. Being honest is the best and you did right here. When you start with one lie, you have to cook up more and more lies to cover the earlier ones. At the end of the day, you have to answer to the maker.
Fully agree with this post. I don't think it'll cause serious damage to your career just because of this one incident (unless it keeps repeating). Learn to control your temper. When you're angry, just get out and walk away.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's a tiny case. No one was injured. No damage done. Unless he felt there's criminal intimidation and decided to pursue. It'll take him time and lots of uphill effort to prove his case. Know the law. Be remorseful but you also need to protect yourself and your family. It's the real world here. No second chance.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Nparks Farmer(nt Miwashi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
Hi people, was just wondering what sort of salary to expect for Nparks (stat board) as a fresh grad. Im 26 y/o male recently graduated from a good overseas university (no.9 in the world for environmental sciences (which is what i studied)) with a First class honors degree. im non-scholar. What salary range am i expecting? will they recognise that i come from a good university and adjust my salary accordingly? and what will the career progression be like (just a rough idea) Thanks in advance =)

p.s. i will totally apply for ministry of env and natural resources but there are no positions open currently
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2013 - Environmental Sciences | Top Universities

#9 is University of Queensland

Ranking is one thing but Australian degree is super common in Singapore. Nparks has many UQ graduates already because they liked sending their own scholars to UQ a few years back. Dime a dozen. All similar background and education and training. And it is not hard to get a first class honours degree. So, sorry you're nothing too special on this count. TBH, UQ caters itself a lot to singkie poly students so you will find a lot of them around.

You should be getting low to mid 3k starting pay. Normal degree, second lower, second upper and first class all got incremental increases of about $200-300 each step. Your credentials will get you a job I am pretty certain. But your career progression depends on your performance on the job. As a non scholar you will have to earn your opportunities unlike Nparks returning scholars who are automatically given plum high visibility assignments from which to score points.

But I noticed you asked nothing about the job requirements, nature of the job, routine, and content. Since you're all about salary and career path, there's plenty of other places that you can consider. Part of the job assuming you're in Operations will be similar to Miwashi supervising foreign workers cutting grass, checking toilets, looking at construction plans, being on construction sites, out in the hot sun, this is the core business of Nparks.

Assuming you don't screw it up, you should get confirmed after a year. If you expect to manage a park from behind a desk, find another job.

You may be considered for promotion after 4-5 years if you are good by which time you should be earning double your starting pay. If you're not, and you still manage to hang on, you might get promoted before 10 years.

The organization's not particularly bad. Par for course with the rest of the civil service and stat boards. At least you get an office in nice surrounds.