Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Mnc jobs - a must in life ??

Old 14-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For hugely successful firms, we have Sim Wong Hoo, Ng Teng Fong and Wee Cho Yaw, all of whom are non-graduates.

For mildly successful enterprises, we have a whole lot of uneducated towkays.

Most JC grads and uni grads work for others for life. Maybe 1% will found companies, of which 1% will become hugely successful.

Poly grads are better risk takers in general. Maybe 20% will found companies, of which 30% will be mildly successful.
Here's my take..

Poly grads will definitely take more risk to do business/ become self employed becos they have less to lose. If i only have a diploma and am making 2-3k a mth, why not i start my own business? The sky's the limit if i can succeed. But if i have a degree and can make 4-5k and progress to 6-8k a mth, there would be less incentive to risk this stable income to do business. But if poly grads are more willing to strike out on their own, does it mean that there are more successful, rich diploma holders compared to degree holders? I don't think so, because most businesses fail. Only some succeed.

And for those who think that jc students who go uni only know how to study..pls la...obviously u haven't stepped into a university before. Have u seen SMU/NUS business faculty? Full of ah siah kias (rich kids) whose parents are doing business and who have a ready pool of cash for their kids to start their own business once they graduate..only poly grads are street smart and can become successful entrepreneurs? I dun think so...

The truth is..the AVERAGE uni grad will make more money than the AVERAGE poly grad..of cos there will be exceptions..dun talk about diplomas, there are even people with O levels or PSLE certs only who become rich towkays. These are outliers. We should be talking about the AVERAGE person. Period.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For hugely successful firms, we have Sim Wong Hoo, Ng Teng Fong and Wee Cho Yaw, all of whom are non-graduates.

For mildly successful enterprises, we have a whole lot of uneducated towkays.

Most JC grads and uni grads work for others for life. Maybe 1% will found companies, of which 1% will become hugely successful.

Poly grads are better risk takers in general. Maybe 20% will found companies, of which 30% will be mildly successful.
Sim was already mentioned in the earlier data gathered previously, but seems like he is outnumbered by a lot of others who are from JC. You might want to read through the previous few pages 1st before commenting.

Ng Teng Fong / Wee Cho Yaw that time Singapore not even independent yet, where got poly vs JC?

Old 15-02-2012, 10:21 AM
rbh

Quote:
Here's my take..

Poly grads will definitely take more risk to do business/ become self employed becos they have less to lose. If i only have a diploma and am making 2-3k a mth, why not i start my own business? The sky's the limit if i can succeed. But if i have a degree and can make 4-5k and progress to 6-8k a mth, there would be less incentive to risk this stable income to do business. But if poly grads are more willing to strike out on their own, does it mean that there are more successful, rich diploma holders compared to degree holders? I don't think so, because most businesses fail. Only some succeed.

And for those who think that jc students who go uni only know how to study..pls la...obviously u haven't stepped into a university before. Have u seen SMU/NUS business faculty? Full of ah siah kias (rich kids) whose parents are doing business and who have a ready pool of cash for their kids to start their own business once they graduate..only poly grads are street smart and can become successful entrepreneurs? I dun think so...

The truth is..the AVERAGE uni grad will make more money than the AVERAGE poly grad..of cos there will be exceptions..dun talk about diplomas, there are even people with O levels or PSLE certs only who become rich towkays. These are outliers. We should be talking about the AVERAGE person. Period.
Most people will agree that on average that JC to NUS/NTU/SMU educated will make more money than poly grads, that was never a point of contention anyway.

Of course people like to imagine themselves as being unique and not average, so those who were from the poly route start to make claims that the best poly grads are streetwise and those who succeed make much more money in their business compared to the best JC route guys since JC people are risk adverse, not street smart, only know how to study and work as employees etc. I also took this statement at face value since it seems to make sense.

Out of curiosity, I conducted a random sampling of the best known and biggest local grown firms in Singapore, turns out that evidence suggest these founders are usually from JC to Uni route and there are only a few poly grads contrary to conventional wisdom. The detailed results I have listed a few pages back.

I just thought this an interesting fact to share with others, but dun really understand why so many poly grads become upset and emotional both online and offline. The excuses given to counter my evidence is the same few nutty ones like a lot of rich poly tycoons like to hide themselves and never appear in public, they are evading taxes so pretend to act poor, poly people do not tap the financial markets therefore their companies are not listed, all the prominent businessmen not from poly are just ah sia kias who are using parents’ money etc.

I guess we all want to believe what we want to believe regardless of what the harsh reality is at the end of the day.

Old 15-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh View Post
Most people will agree that on average that JC to NUS/NTU/SMU educated will make more money than poly grads, that was never a point of contention anyway.

Of course people like to imagine themselves as being unique and not average, so those who were from the poly route start to make claims that the best poly grads are streetwise and those who succeed make much more money in their business compared to the best JC route guys since JC people are risk adverse, not street smart, only know how to study and work as employees etc. I also took this statement at face value since it seems to make sense.

Out of curiosity, I conducted a random sampling of the best known and biggest local grown firms in Singapore, turns out that evidence suggest these founders are usually from JC to Uni route and there are only a few poly grads contrary to conventional wisdom. The detailed results I have listed a few pages back.

I just thought this an interesting fact to share with others, but dun really understand why so many poly grads become upset and emotional both online and offline. The excuses given to counter my evidence is the same few nutty ones like a lot of rich poly tycoons like to hide themselves and never appear in public, they are evading taxes so pretend to act poor, poly people do not tap the financial markets therefore their companies are not listed, all the prominent businessmen not from poly are just ah sia kias who are using parents’ money etc.

I guess we all want to believe what we want to believe regardless of what the harsh reality is at the end of the day.
You want to be elitist go join government please.

Everyone know ITE & poly students know how to do business than the degree bookworm who only know how to memorise for exams.

There are a lot of success poly grads where they end up as rich tycoons such as Sim Wang Ho than those who only know how to study and salve for the company.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You want to be elitist go join government please.

Everyone know ITE & poly students know how to do business than the degree bookworm who only know how to memorise for exams.

There are a lot of success poly grads where they end up as rich tycoons such as Sim Wang Ho than those who only know how to study and salve for the company.
I pity u..I know life's been hard on u..Some ppl just have everything..looks, brains, riches, happy family. What to do? Life's unfair. Dun be so bitter and sour about uni grads. Life goes on..cheer up and try to look on the bright side. Good luck to you.
Old 30-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

digging up an old thread..

anyone knows the average bonus given by korean MNCs per annum?

Old 30-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
digging up an old thread..

anyone knows the average bonus given by korean MNCs per annum?
Samsung consumer marketing is giving out 6.75 months for average performer.
Old 30-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Samsung consumer marketing is giving out 6.75 months for average performer.
wa thats double of what civil service is giving.. different depts dun get the same number of months or same thru out entire samsung spore?
Old 31-10-2012, 09:57 AM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Wah not bad sia!!!

MNC must be a MUST in life. Where else you find so high bonus. In SME you got 6weeks already laughing liao lolx
Old 31-10-2012, 09:58 AM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
wa thats double of what civil service is giving.. different depts dun get the same number of months or same thru out entire samsung spore?
I bet is marketing, no way engineering can get anywhere near that