Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1697-mnc-jobs-must-life.html)

miraclesworker 01-02-2012 01:30 PM

Mnc jobs - a must in life ??

:DHi...

Care to give some advises here?:)

Must we enter into MNCs inorder to have the best in life?:confused:

Just wondering why everyone has been talking about entering into this sector... will we miss out BEING A BETTER PERSON / EXPOSURE even if we don't get a chance to move into the sector?:confused:

Why MNC jobs?

Unregistered 01-02-2012 02:45 PM

coz singaporean employers are brand whores and when they see a mnc name (esp if it is fortune 100 type) on your resume... they will think WOW you must be very good....

Unregistered 01-02-2012 03:45 PM

yes, agrees.. doesn't mean when you enter into mnc u are considered good. there are people who eat snake, play politics and get big money in the company. but inside them, nothing great..

Unregistered 01-02-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miraclesworker (Post 20257)
:DHi...

Care to give some advises here?:)

Must we enter into MNCs inorder to have the best in life?:confused:

Just wondering why everyone has been talking about entering into this sector... will we miss out BEING A BETTER PERSON / EXPOSURE even if we don't get a chance to move into the sector?:confused:

Why MNC jobs?

Try competing for a Brand Manager job armed with 5 years experience in Tan Ah Kow Pte Ltd when your peers are quoting names like Nestle, Shell, Goldman, Apple, Philip Morris and you will know why everyone is desperate to get inside MNC.

Whether MNC will make you a better person I don't know and don't care, but I do know without MNC background, you will be serious disadvantage compared to your peers. Whether MNC deserve their recognition is irrelevant, fact is they ARE recognized.

Hermit 01-02-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20261)
Try competing for a Brand Manager job armed with 5 years experience in Tan Ah Kow Pte Ltd when your peers are quoting names like Nestle, Shell, Goldman, Apple, Philip Morris and you will know why everyone is desperate to get inside MNC.

Whether MNC will make you a better person I don't know and don't care, but I do know without MNC background, you will be serious disadvantage compared to your peers. Whether MNC deserve their recognition is irrelevant, fact is they ARE recognized.

Agree totally.

It is just PERCEPTION, like everything else in life...eg. Raffles Institution, Harvard University, MBA, Goldman Sachs, District 10, BMW ....

Unregistered 01-02-2012 06:04 PM

Basically recruiters are lazy, me included,
Faced with 1000 cvs for a junior FO sales role, i use filters like ivy league or oxbridge uni, past working stints in bcg or mckinsey. Sometimes we see cv with national swimmer sea medal holder, etc.
These will limit the number of ppl to interview, cant possibly see 1000 ppl

Unregistered 01-02-2012 11:42 PM

agreed, I worked for 2 US MNCs (MOT & MSFT) for a total of 5yrs before joining another bigger US MNC recently (CVX). My US colleagues envied my 'impressive' resume.

Unregistered 02-02-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20271)
agreed, I worked for 2 US MNCs (MOT & MSFT) for a total of 5yrs before joining another bigger US MNC recently (CVX). My US colleagues envied my 'impressive' resume.

As janitorial director?

Unregistered 02-02-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20271)

actually MOT and MSFT hiring isn't very competitive in singapore what...

miraclesworker 02-02-2012 02:33 PM

Ha! From the advises I have, it seems that it's not the knowledge we may learn and the exposure we can gain that attract people to enter into mncs. Well, this is really different from what I thought.:eek:

Stills, thanks guys for the replies;)