Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

28 yo entry cowspots wonder what pay he can expect

Old 13-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the advantage of dl is tat it can allow u to get it faster.

i got my hon degree (engineering) at 22. am a guy n had completed ns. by the time i m 25, i alrdy have 3 yrs of solid experience n command higher salary than those of same age but still fresh from uni. n i have alot more space (as in the years) to manuveur n to gain extra experience..

this is really a huge advantage to me.. nowadays sg guys come out from uni at age ard 25... only 5 yrs to achieve something b4 30... they can only mostly concentrate on 1 or 2 speciality while i have more yrs to get wider exposure.. n in nowadays working environment, having wider experience means more xtra stability.... if 1 fail, can tap on the other 1 in another environment....

n also when comparing to those f talents, can stil fite abit...dun 4get tat they dun need to serve ns.... they r at n advantage

dun compare to those scholars or high flyers lah. tok abot the majority normal us singaporeans...
For this I agree. Being able to graduate earlier is really a huge advantage since you will have more time to discover what you really want and has the passion in doing, in addition, building up experience in a particular field. Guys going thru local unis are at a disadvantage in this instance since like what you have mentioned, already at the age of 25 and left with 5 years to 30 yo. To them, a good starting salary at the age of 25 is really critical since they do not have the luxury of taking their time for yearly increment to push up their salary. This in terms put guys are a huge disadvantage since asking for a higher starting salary will not get them a job, while asking for too low would simply mean hitting 30 with crappy salary assuming without job hop. This is a vicious cycle and that is why many tend to aim for public sector jobs since the starting salary is better and won't put them in a too difficult situation when ppl ask about their salary at the age of 30.

Old 13-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

urm I dont want to appear too elitist, but to give you some hope..
I went poly route, my educational history is nothing to be proud of..
PSLE low scores so went to Normal stream in secondary.
o levels did not do as well, so went to Poly, then the course was not popular. (Engg)
After 1 yr, working in an MNC, entry level, I applied to study business in Aust. I did study at aust, was not a long distance learning.
Did summer classes so I can graduate ahead, earlier. So completed my deg in less than 2 yrs.

After which I joined MNC as contract staff for 1 yr, and subsequently, only applied to MNCs.
in between while deciding what I wanted to do, I did join 1 sme. Bad exp, just 3 mths, I quit.

Now I am still in an MNC, pay wise, I earn as high if not higher than my partner who did the JC, NTU route. My partner is 6 yrs older than me and have more work exp BTW. His role has also more responsibilities. (as in team mgr).
Im a MGR, but individual contributor.
My partner's sibling also did the JC/SIM route, is a mgr with reporting exec under him, but earn lesser than me. He is in a big SME.

But of course, cannot have too high expectations, learn along the way and be street smart. Try to be in a position of value.. like in any company, what you do, cannot be replaced by any entry level.
I always consider myself inferior to those who did the JC, NUS/NTU route. But yet I know many of these "JC/NUS" who earn much lesser than me, and have more exp. So try to get yourself in a position which you can learn more. Not earn more.

1st few yrs count, and if you are in a position which you can learn more, more responsibilities, your job route.. would be quite smooth. Better increments along the way, $$ will come.
BTW, Im 32

Old 13-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
the advantage of dl is tat it can allow u to get it faster.

i got my hon degree (engineering) at 22. am a guy n had completed ns. by the time i m 25, i alrdy have 3 yrs of solid experience n command higher salary than those of same age but still fresh from uni. n i have alot more space (as in the years) to manuveur n to gain extra experience..

this is really a huge advantage to me.. nowadays sg guys come out from uni at age ard 25... only 5 yrs to achieve something b4 30... they can only mostly concentrate on 1 or 2 speciality while i have more yrs to get wider exposure.. n in nowadays working environment, having wider experience means more xtra stability.... if 1 fail, can tap on the other 1 in another environment....

n also when comparing to those f talents, can stil fite abit...dun 4get tat they dun need to serve ns.... they r at n advantage

dun compare to those scholars or high flyers lah. tok abot the majority normal us singaporeans...
I think it really varies from person to person and what kind of degree as well. DL degree from SIM still 3 years. One year difference not much of an advantage. Furthermore, your degree was in engineering. Not sure if you're still in that line or not, but engineers are always in demand although the work is not glamorous and the math/phy needed is quite tough. hence, that line confirm can still get quite a high pay.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

Suddenly there's a flood of posts within an hour purportedly from different people promoting distance learning as the pathway to a greater career than traditional routes, but all of them spotting the same atrocious sentencing, poor grammar and sprinkled with numerous spelling errors.
Old 13-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
urm I dont want to appear too elitist, but to give you some hope..
I went poly route, my educational history is nothing to be proud of..
PSLE low scores so went to Normal stream in secondary.
o levels did not do as well, so went to Poly, then the course was not popular. (Engg)
After 1 yr, working in an MNC, entry level, I applied to study business in Aust. I did study at aust, was not a long distance learning.
Did summer classes so I can graduate ahead, earlier. So completed my deg in less than 2 yrs.

After which I joined MNC as contract staff for 1 yr, and subsequently, only applied to MNCs.
in between while deciding what I wanted to do, I did join 1 sme. Bad exp, just 3 mths, I quit.

Now I am still in an MNC, pay wise, I earn as high if not higher than my partner who did the JC, NTU route. My partner is 6 yrs older than me and have more work exp BTW. His role has also more responsibilities. (as in team mgr).
Im a MGR, but individual contributor.
My partner's sibling also did the JC/SIM route, is a mgr with reporting exec under him, but earn lesser than me. He is in a big SME.

But of course, cannot have too high expectations, learn along the way and be street smart. Try to be in a position of value.. like in any company, what you do, cannot be replaced by any entry level.
I always consider myself inferior to those who did the JC, NUS/NTU route. But yet I know many of these "JC/NUS" who earn much lesser than me, and have more exp. So try to get yourself in a position which you can learn more. Not earn more.

1st few yrs count, and if you are in a position which you can learn more, more responsibilities, your job route.. would be quite smooth. Better increments along the way, $$ will come.
BTW, Im 32
in the spirit of anonymity in this forum, care to share how much do you earn and what kind of role?
Old 14-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Suddenly there's a flood of posts within an hour purportedly from different people promoting distance learning as the pathway to a greater career than traditional routes, but all of them spotting the same atrocious sentencing, poor grammar and sprinkled with numerous spelling errors.
Not suprising, it is standard SOP. Everytime anyone say anything about diploma / pte degree not as good for career compared to JC/ local uni track, some insecure people get offended and emo and start creating many post about all sorts of stories of great success and wealth of the poly/pte uni grad.

Old 14-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

Not trying to pour cold water but my degree is from unknown private school. Working in the same place as my NTU/NUS co-workers, same role, doing the same **** work and I'm earning about the same amount and a lot younger.

Elite schools or not, you've gotta put in a lot of effort and hard work in order move up corporate ladder. It's a career progression of many years span. If you think that you are from NUS and employer has to respect you and pay you a lot more then it's wrong thinking. It doesn't matter how you start but how you end, does it?
Old 14-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not trying to pour cold water but my degree is from unknown private school. Working in the same place as my NTU/NUS co-workers, same role, doing the same **** work and I'm earning about the same amount and a lot younger.
How do you know you are paid higher than NTU/NUS co-worker? Who told you that? Your boss? Your co-workers themself? HR?
Old 14-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Didn't say I earn higher. I said about the same because same pay scale, same grade, same appraisal and bonus system. Don't think there is much variable. I wouldn't say I'm good. I say they are underpaid and squeezed like lemon.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Didn't say I earn higher. I said about the same because same pay scale, same grade, same appraisal and bonus system. Don't think there is much variable. I wouldn't say I'm good. I say they are underpaid and squeezed like lemon.
A typical pay scale is very wide - highest can be more than double the lowest end, e.g. MX12 in CS range from 2.2k - 5.3k. Again I ask, how do you know you how much your colleagues are paid? How do you know they are underpaid when you don't know their salary?