Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 28 yo entry cowspots wonder what pay he can expect
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

urm I dont want to appear too elitist, but to give you some hope..
I went poly route, my educational history is nothing to be proud of..
PSLE low scores so went to Normal stream in secondary.
o levels did not do as well, so went to Poly, then the course was not popular. (Engg)
After 1 yr, working in an MNC, entry level, I applied to study business in Aust. I did study at aust, was not a long distance learning.
Did summer classes so I can graduate ahead, earlier. So completed my deg in less than 2 yrs.

After which I joined MNC as contract staff for 1 yr, and subsequently, only applied to MNCs.
in between while deciding what I wanted to do, I did join 1 sme. Bad exp, just 3 mths, I quit.

Now I am still in an MNC, pay wise, I earn as high if not higher than my partner who did the JC, NTU route. My partner is 6 yrs older than me and have more work exp BTW. His role has also more responsibilities. (as in team mgr).
Im a MGR, but individual contributor.
My partner's sibling also did the JC/SIM route, is a mgr with reporting exec under him, but earn lesser than me. He is in a big SME.

But of course, cannot have too high expectations, learn along the way and be street smart. Try to be in a position of value.. like in any company, what you do, cannot be replaced by any entry level.
I always consider myself inferior to those who did the JC, NUS/NTU route. But yet I know many of these "JC/NUS" who earn much lesser than me, and have more exp. So try to get yourself in a position which you can learn more. Not earn more.

1st few yrs count, and if you are in a position which you can learn more, more responsibilities, your job route.. would be quite smooth. Better increments along the way, $$ will come.
BTW, Im 32