Software Engineer with rich background, what do expect? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Software Engineer with rich background, what do expect?

Old 13-07-2011, 12:51 AM

bjornl is on a distinguished road
Talking Software Engineer with rich background, what do expect?

Hi everyone,

Randomly browsing the internet, I stumbled across this site and my interest was captured.

I am coming over to Singapore for 1 year to get an MSc in Management of Technology at NUS, and have never considered my career prospects in Singapore until I feel upon this site. Ideally I see myself in a technical position between the man and the machine, where I can apply my technical skills and people skills alike.

Me: Swedish citizen, BSc Computer Eng. from Chalmers, Sweden and CalPoly, California. Worked in Google Paris as Web App. Developer and in Exalead, Paris as Web App. Developer. Both of these positions included a hefty amount of front and back end work. I have been running a company in Sweden, engaged in a number of more or less advanced web-projects.

Which level of salary can I expect, given my background and experience Which positions would give me a good growth potential in terms of salary?

Thanks,
Bjorn

Old 13-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Unregistered

since your already from a rich background s$ 2500.....

Old 13-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Unregistered

Nope, I would say that SG$2000 max

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

Default blah

ignore the above two comments. >4k SGD per month
Old 13-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornl View Post
Hi everyone,

Randomly browsing the internet, I stumbled across this site and my interest was captured.

I am coming over to Singapore for 1 year to get an MSc in Management of Technology at NUS, and have never considered my career prospects in Singapore until I feel upon this site. Ideally I see myself in a technical position between the man and the machine, where I can apply my technical skills and people skills alike.

Me: Swedish citizen, BSc Computer Eng. from Chalmers, Sweden and CalPoly, California. Worked in Google Paris as Web App. Developer and in Exalead, Paris as Web App. Developer. Both of these positions included a hefty amount of front and back end work. I have been running a company in Sweden, engaged in a number of more or less advanced web-projects.

Which level of salary can I expect, given my background and experience Which positions would give me a good growth potential in terms of salary?

Thanks,
Bjorn
Don't work for others, especially in technical / engineering jobs. When you come here, you'll notice there is a LOT of money from government agencies and VCs waiting to be invested in tech startups.

So, partner up with a local (you need one, legally), start a company, and start pitching your ideas to the money sources.

I suppose you look like a western guy and speak like one - that makes things much easier, as this place has a funny penchant for all things western. Really.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Bjornl, why did you choose to come to NUS and Singapore to get a masters?

NUS is OK but is not one of the best and most recognised universities in the world. In terms of reputation, NUS cannot compare to Harvard, Yale, Caltech, Cornell, Cambridge, Oxford.... Outside of Singapore, NUS is not that well known.

Presumably with your resume (having worked for Google, you are probably good in your work), you could have chosen other better known universities.

I am just curious.

Old 13-07-2011, 05:42 PM

bjornl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bjornl, why did you choose to come to NUS and Singapore to get a masters?

NUS is OK but is not one of the best and most recognised universities in the world. In terms of reputation, NUS cannot compare to Harvard, Yale, Caltech, Cornell, Cambridge, Oxford.... Outside of Singapore, NUS is not that well known.

Presumably with your resume (having worked for Google, you are probably good in your work), you could have chosen other better known universities.

I am just curious.
Hi,

I did not do that much research before choosing NUS. I have wanted to try and live and study in Singapore since many years back, it's an idea that I've had. According to what I have heard, it seems to be a good enough school. Another reason is money, if I could pick freely, maybe I would have picked a better reputed university. But as I said: My mind was, and is, stuck on Singapore
Old 13-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

don't work in singapore. employers prefer foreign talents who can work better, harder,faster and CHEAPER than you do. this is because singapore does not host technology companies, mostly are sales functions here in sg.... u have better opportunities in US or UK where they are willing to pay big bucks for your skills.
Old 13-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornl View Post
Hi,

I did not do that much research before choosing NUS. I have wanted to try and live and study in Singapore since many years back, it's an idea that I've had. According to what I have heard, it seems to be a good enough school. Another reason is money, if I could pick freely, maybe I would have picked a better reputed university. But as I said: My mind was, and is, stuck on Singapore
The NUS masters is probably cheaper than the top tier universities in the world, and there is no other country to the world with as foreigner-friendly polices as Singapore. I, and increasingly more of my fellow Singaporeans don't appreciate the so-called foreign talents that are not actually talented, only cheaper to hire; but based on your resume (if you are telling the truth), you are indeed talented.

However, getting a well paid job may be challenging. I have friends who are first rate computer science graduates (on the Dean's list, first class honours, brilliant people) who are at best earning 100,000 SGD a year including all bonuses at the age of 35. Some are only earning 60,000 SGD a year, even at famous multinational corporations with stringent interview processes.

In general, Singapore is not the place for engineering and computer science people. We work very hard, we are good, but salaries are not high, and cost of living is very, very high. Think twice, thrice before coming at all. If you do come, have the courtesy to be friendly, mix with Singaporeans and learn about Singapore culture.
Old 13-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Verified Member

no1ne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
don't work in singapore. employers prefer foreign talents who can work better, harder,faster and CHEAPER than you do. this is because singapore does not host technology companies, mostly are sales functions here in sg.... u have better opportunities in US or UK where they are willing to pay big bucks for your skills.

What do you mean by foreign talents work "CHEAPER"?