28 yo entry cowspots wonder what pay he can expect - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

28 yo entry cowspots wonder what pay he can expect

Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Unregistered

you're relatively old, your degree is via distance learning and not even the SIM-UOL one, and most importantly you have ZERO relevant experience.

if you're looking to join banks or large MNCs, to say that its going to be tough is an understatement.

you need to be realistic about where to aim for.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Unregistered

If I were you and caught in your spot, I would join Prudential/AIA/Great Eastern. If you work hard, you can make a good living. Then again, see if selling structured products is against your conscience. It is a grey area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowspots View Post
cowspots
28 yo
singaporean
psle 262, o levels l1r5 8 pts, failed a levels because of math chinese and because was more interested in chasing skirts back then, did uk uni of wales degree with first class hons and post grad dip from edexcel all via distance.

work exp

tutor 3 years teaching in private schs and home tuition earning ard 3k

2 yrs ns in s1 hr branch

recently worked as recruiter for 3 mths realy hate the ppl mostly cold manipulative lying cheating scums. earned 2k a mont in small 3 person cubicle no social life also unlucky cant hit sales target. only reason I took this job was because he job is on australia sol list and if I could workmin it a yr I can apply to wrok in aus for few rs which sounds good to me I wanted the oe.

I want to gt serious abt my career and find a decent job earn some money and also do a non sales job for a few yrs. I been doing a lot of travelling because I love living in different countries but now my state of mind is that its time to find a decent job earn some money and I want to , after a few yrs, buy property etc.

do you think the mncs banks good employers will hire me? realistically what pay can I expect given I will be a fresh person.

thanks

Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Unless you are thinking of joining banks as a general salesman selling consumer products, it is unrealistic with your CV calibre to aim for the finance industry. Not trying to be elitist, but a 28 yr old guy with an unheard of distance degree purchased somewhere is not going to get you any decent banking job.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

a koyok degree + 3 yrs of fooling around as a hippie and you want a mnc bank to hire you? dude time to return to earth. hippie out of fashion since 1970s.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Unregistered

Not wanting to sound rude or what, but seriously you better wake up your idea. While others are busy working their arse off building their career for the past few years, you were bumming around doing freelance tution and holdiaying around the world.

Now you play finish already just buy a degree from somewhere and actually expect to compete with the cream of the crop for a spot in a foreign MNC bank??? With zero corporate experience, distance degree and 28 years old already, it will be hard for you to even secure a entry executive job in a local SME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowspots View Post
cowspots
28 yo
singaporean
psle 262, o levels l1r5 8 pts, failed a levels because of math chinese and because was more interested in chasing skirts back then, did uk uni of wales degree with first class hons and post grad dip from edexcel all via distance.

work exp

tutor 3 years teaching in private schs and home tuition earning ard 3k

2 yrs ns in s1 hr branch

recently worked as recruiter for 3 mths realy hate the ppl mostly cold manipulative lying cheating scums. earned 2k a mont in small 3 person cubicle no social life also unlucky cant hit sales target. only reason I took this job was because he job is on australia sol list and if I could workmin it a yr I can apply to wrok in aus for few rs which sounds good to me I wanted the oe.

I want to gt serious abt my career and find a decent job earn some money and also do a non sales job for a few yrs. I been doing a lot of travelling because I love living in different countries but now my state of mind is that its time to find a decent job earn some money and I want to , after a few yrs, buy property etc.

do you think the mncs banks good employers will hire me? realistically what pay can I expect given I will be a fresh person.

thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

a dl degree or on campus degree may not really matter. wat matters is the uni conferring tat degree n other aspect like how u present urself during the interview...

I got myself a technical dl degree. got into an mnc. am a fresh grad btw. offered 2.8k. the hr n the interviewer r ang mos n they r very objective. they reference to the university... not the mode of it... the uni I picked is in the QS top 80...

personally I feel many ppl r rather shallow...when they say only if u can get into nus or ntu then u r great which is not tat true...

Old 13-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Unregistered

u may as well say that an University degree or a Poly diploma does not matter. The most important thing is capability. Then someone else would go on further and say that capability is not critical too, as fate and destiny decides what you get.

bo liao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
a dl degree or on campus degree may not really matter. wat matters is the uni conferring tat degree n other aspect like how u present urself during the interview...

I got myself a technical dl degree. got into an mnc. am a fresh grad btw. offered 2.8k. the hr n the interviewer r ang mos n they r very objective. they reference to the university... not the mode of it... the uni I picked is in the QS top 80...

personally I feel many ppl r rather shallow...when they say only if u can get into nus or ntu then u r great which is not tat true...
Old 13-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

U are right to say that and I think most of us won't disagree to that opinion of urs. However, it is very true that nowadays regardless of public sector or private companies, they are indeed taking in only candidates from reputable universities if they could afford to pay. It is true that capability counts, but this is not something that is visible in the immediate term. The hard fact is that an individual with a dl degree might not even be granted a chance for an interview. How you present yourself during interview is definitely important. I have been to several interviews including those MA programmes, guess what, the candidates are good in the sense that they are both outspoken and armed with good degrees. Just imagine two person doing equally well during interview, however, one of them holds a degree from a reputable uni. Which will be a better choice then? In general, I also feel that those who can enter local Us are indeed the better ones when it comes to analyzing stuff and logical thinking. Some of them might not be able to present or speak fluently, but they speak substance and could really bring out good suggestions. Being able to speak well does not really justify that you are a good candidate. I have seen so many ppl with fluent spoken English but like to sprout nonsense.
Old 13-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

You can bitch about how shallow people are, but reality is reality. There is no such thing as shallow reality or deep reality.
Old 13-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

the advantage of dl is tat it can allow u to get it faster.

i got my hon degree (engineering) at 22. am a guy n had completed ns. by the time i m 25, i alrdy have 3 yrs of solid experience n command higher salary than those of same age but still fresh from uni. n i have alot more space (as in the years) to manuveur n to gain extra experience..

this is really a huge advantage to me.. nowadays sg guys come out from uni at age ard 25... only 5 yrs to achieve something b4 30... they can only mostly concentrate on 1 or 2 speciality while i have more yrs to get wider exposure.. n in nowadays working environment, having wider experience means more xtra stability.... if 1 fail, can tap on the other 1 in another environment....

n also when comparing to those f talents, can stil fite abit...dun 4get tat they dun need to serve ns.... they r at n advantage

dun compare to those scholars or high flyers lah. tok abot the majority normal us singaporeans...