Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

I have been at GEO3 since 2015..
in 2015 I had C+
2016 I had C
2017 I had C+
2018 I have gotten C+(RO told me at end year work review).

When will I have possibility of promoting to GEO 4 since I am stuck at my grade for the past 3 years?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
in 2015 I had C+
2016 I had C
2017 I had C+

When will I have possibility of promoting to GEO 4 since I am stuck at my grade for the past 3 years?
Your RO should not tell you your grade because there may be last minute changes after your school leaders speak to supt and HR (due to quota, etc.) It's not professional and safe to do so.

It's unlikely to change but still a risk for your RO to commit.

Are you willing to take on more responsibilities in the near future, and have your school showed interest for u to do so? Otherwise, it may take you another few years, especially if your CEP is not at least SEO scale. Do note that about 60% will reach GEO5 as end point. (Retirement) A better gauge is to ask your RO if you have potential to take on KP or senior teacher in future. They cannot tell u your CEP but if they tell u that you can be minimally a level head or assistant year head, that gives you a better gauge. HR looks at your substantiative grade and your estimated potential to calculate if you should get promoted. Schools only say if they recommend or not, but HR makes the final call after looking at the entire ministry.

You may or may not notice but if you ask around, promotions are also generally slowing down, due to excess number of teachers in the ministry and limited key personnel positions. Many new KP posts are introduced in recent times to help with this problem and I guess attrition rates are not as high as they used to.

Don't worry too much about promotion. Take on GEO4 onwards only if the school gives you opportunities to take some responsibilities. The annual increment is respectable and it's better to be a B performer than a C performer in higher grades. Most of the teaching force in your school should be GEO4 and 5. That means you are pegged against well performing relatively young LHs/AYHs, HODs/YHs that havent hit SEO and also experienced teachers who can contribute more and better than you. For ranking, you are almost certainly ranked below them. It may actually do you worse if you promote without the portfolio to back you at higher grades. Then instead of C+, you get Bs, which would then put you under the radar.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

For promotion beyond GEO3, you need to show potential to perform at the next level. safest bet is you need consistent and upward performance trend of at least 3 years. Based on this and previous year C+ And the year before C, it could be next year promotion if your CEP is high. Otherwise you need another C+ for next year to continue the upward trend. More importantly, you need to stay consistent in your grade.

Hope the above helps.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Verified Member

singsongplaymj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
in 2015 I had C+
2016 I had C
2017 I had C+

Are you a degree holder?

2015 C+ is for work performance of the previous year.
So effectively, you got:
C+ 2014
C 2015 (year of promotion)
2016 C+
2017 C+

In my view, it might take another year or two for you to go up to GEO 4 given the fact that you are a above average good performer. Are you on leadership track or teaching track? Else, you will retire at geo 5, which means an even longer duration before the next promotion comes.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:26 AM
Unregistered

Hi! I’m doing my PGDE now and have a few questions:

1. Is promotion fro GEO2 to GEO3 for guys who have served NS a given after one year? That’s what I have heard going around.

2. When will I know if I’m placed on leadership or teaching track?

3. How long does it take for an average teacher to be promoted to an SH or equivalent?

Thank you!
Old 13-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

1) As far as I can tell, yes. Not sure if Honours is required.

2) The tracks don't mean much when you're a BT, when CEP typically begins at GEO5 level. During ranking, your CEP might be adjusted eventually. If so, that usually puts you on the leadership track (possible to be placed on the teaching track towards ST appointment as well). Unfortunately, you're (officially) not supposed to be informed when your CEP changes.

3) I'm not sure what the average is, but I believe the minimum is three years (plus, need to be promoted to GEO4 as well as meet CEP requirements).

Quote:

1. Is promotion fro GEO2 to GEO3 for guys who have served NS a given after one year? That’s what I have heard going around.

3. How long does it take for an average teacher to be promoted to an SH or equivalent?

Thank you!

Old 13-12-2018, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you!
Most of them would, because civil service takes into account your NS, so HR would sort of treat you as having fulfilled 3 years in your career, unless you get a D grade.

This is something that should come up during your conversation with your Reporting Officer. As a GEO2, it might be too early, unless you have been given some responsibilities and have proven yourself capable of taking on additional work. You can indicate your interest early. By default, schools would assume everyone has the capacity to take on leadership roles, unless you make clear indication that you do not want to, or screw up really bad with your pieces of work.

An average teacher does not get promoted to SH or equivalent. More than 50% will retire at GEO5, which is the highest grade for teachers not taking on key appointments. You need to minimally have an SH appointment to hold your grade at SEO1, and if for some reason decide to step down, your pay will revert to the GEO scale.
It is not a bad thing, since many teachers in my school are happy GEO5 officers on different kinds of flexi-schemes, to commit more time at home, either due to kids or aging parents. They are actually happy because they can continue to teach, without sacrificing weekends or too many afternoons on CCAs and committee work.
Old 16-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you!
My advice to you, dun count on the chickens before they are hatched.

I have seen my fair share of teachers who are moe teaching scholars, local and overseas... But they have left the teaching service when their bond were up..

Your questions are exactly the same as a scholar who raised the exact same questions.. He left the service after 4 years - bond completed. . Last grade in service geo 2.

So even for scholars, its not guaranteed that one would rise up to hod level. That's all I can say. I have seen moe overseas scholar only ended up to be senior teachers.

Please come into the service only if you truly love children. Thank you..
Old 18-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

Default Difference between subject head and level head?

Does anyone know the difference between a subject head and level head? Some schools appoint staff as subject head whereas some appoint staff as level head? Do they have different workload? Is subject head a higher position than level head?
Old 19-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

Equivalent in terms of rank (maximum substantive grade).

Technically a LH is meant to take charge of certain levels within the subject (e.g. LH/Maths might be in charge of lower sec mathematics programme) while SH is meant to take charge of a subject area that HOD might not be subject content expert for (e.g. LH/Physics for a Chemistry-trained HOD/Science).

But sometimes schools will just appoint SH/EL, for instance, even though HOD/EL also teaches that subject. Have not really noticed any difference in function myself.

Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between a subject head and level head? Some schools appoint staff as subject head whereas some appoint staff as level head? Do they have different workload? Is subject head a higher position than level head?