Compare civil service salary - Page 98 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #971 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm leaving the civil service and for last yr i received annual income of $74k. I just completed my second yr of service after graduating. You may envy my income at my age but I can tell you I am not happy.

why I wanna leave:

1) No passion to serve the public. I suspect many ppl r like that in there. They r in there for the money. I am really quite worried how Singaporeans have become as a whole become materialistic. Not say I hate Singaporeans, though in my line of duty I have encountered outrageous requests from some Singaporeans who are spolit brats but I simply don't see myself as the holy type that tries to make every Singaporeans' lives better.

2) Its a scholar's playground. You think you are smart with second upper or first class honors in local uni? Think again, scholars in the same batch as me have education from Ivy League Universities. They get better opportunities and exposure and get promoted. After 2 years here, they have became one rank above me.

3) Your skills r useless outside at least if you join my area of expertise. In the corporate world, depending on what skills you have, if lets say you have been unfairly treated or you feel you deserve the promotion but did not get it, you can move on to another company in the same industry. That's esp true for banking. Lets take for example the army, you felt that you are misfairly treated, at lets say at the age of 32 at the rank of major. How do you move around? Which industry can you go to for the same pay? And expect mistakes to happen at work. Nobody is 100% perfect. Esp in this political climate, where social media spreads news of government inefficiency quickly, you cant hide anything bad that happened.

I believe you should join only if you really like serving the people and don't relate well to promotion and money. If you relate well to promotion and money, I advise you to think twice about joining this because you will get disappointed. As a fresh grad I was v happy with the starting pay they offered to me. Now I understand why that type of pay is there. I do admit it is a female friendly environment which you will not be scared to be pregnant.

Civil service can be an iron bowl provided you don't cock up. You can also work there for life but promotion and pay rise are not certainties. If you really don't mind not being promoted or pay rise, and just want an iron rice bowl, then this may be for you. Esp for wives, who don't want to rise the corporate ladder because the husband is doing so and she just wants a job that is stable and pays okay.

I am hoping to switch to another industry soon expecting a pay cut. Its ok because I think I will be more happier there doing the things I like and learning skills that employers really value.

Reply With Quote
  #972 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 67
alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm leaving the civil service and for last yr i received annual income of $74k. I just completed my second yr of service after graduating. You may envy my income at my age but I can tell you I am not happy.

why I wanna leave:

1) No passion to serve the public. I suspect many ppl r like that in there. They r in there for the money. I am really quite worried how Singaporeans have become as a whole become materialistic. Not say I hate Singaporeans, though in my line of duty I have encountered outrageous requests from some Singaporeans who are spolit brats but I simply don't see myself as the holy type that tries to make every Singaporeans' lives better.

2) Its a scholar's playground. You think you are smart with second upper or first class honors in local uni? Think again, scholars in the same batch as me have education from Ivy League Universities. They get better opportunities and exposure and get promoted. After 2 years here, they have became one rank above me.

3) Your skills r useless outside at least if you join my area of expertise. In the corporate world, depending on what skills you have, if lets say you have been unfairly treated or you feel you deserve the promotion but did not get it, you can move on to another company in the same industry. That's esp true for banking. Lets take for example the army, you felt that you are misfairly treated, at lets say at the age of 32 at the rank of major. How do you move around? Which industry can you go to for the same pay? And expect mistakes to happen at work. Nobody is 100% perfect. Esp in this political climate, where social media spreads news of government inefficiency quickly, you cant hide anything bad that happened.

I believe you should join only if you really like serving the people and don't relate well to promotion and money. If you relate well to promotion and money, I advise you to think twice about joining this because you will get disappointed. As a fresh grad I was v happy with the starting pay they offered to me. Now I understand why that type of pay is there. I do admit it is a female friendly environment which you will not be scared to be pregnant.

Civil service can be an iron bowl provided you don't cock up. You can also work there for life but promotion and pay rise are not certainties. If you really don't mind not being promoted or pay rise, and just want an iron rice bowl, then this may be for you. Esp for wives, who don't want to rise the corporate ladder because the husband is doing so and she just wants a job that is stable and pays okay.

I am hoping to switch to another industry soon expecting a pay cut. Its ok because I think I will be more happier there doing the things I like and learning skills that employers really value.
hi, i feel i may be in the same situation as you, although not as robustly renumerated

May I know what field are you moving into? And since you have left the civil service, which ministry were u at to command such a high pay?

I myself is casting an eye towards the financial sector..

Reply With Quote
  #973 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysnforever View Post
hi, i feel i may be in the same situation as you, although not as robustly renumerated

May I know what field are you moving into? And since you have left the civil service, which ministry were u at to command such a high pay?

I myself is casting an eye towards the financial sector..
I don't think I can reveal where I am working...

but i am thinking of moving into professional trading as a trainee since I trade on my own too and have several ideas of my own but compeition is v stiff there too. thus I think i wld need to study a masters of finance to get into the industry since most trading houses/banks will consider my civil service exp irrelevant.

trading trainees earn peanuts as compared to the civil service if you r working in a boutique small trading firm (not big banks) but i think it will be something I like to persue and be able to strike out on my own in the future (e.g. trading full time at home).

for financial sector, I just have some advice for u...

1) Most big banks will normally throw ur resume away as ur resume is irrelevant. Aggressive SMU students already have big banks in their resume when they were doing internships with other big banks still in uni. What do you have? You can still join but expect to be in some non high flyer position, maybe Ops. Investment banking is highly unlikely.

2) Get a Masters of Finance or CFA. Masters is faster so you can make the switch fast.

3) If you are going in for the pay, expect to be disappointed. I earn more than some of my friends who work in the bank (excluding the investment banking types). Not every position in the bank is a high flyer position (think people selling credit cards at MRT). Nonetheless I still feel that they have better potential than me as they can job hop between banks but I can't. In the long run, they may earn more than the civil service, but once you go in the beginning, expect to take a pay cut if necessary.

for me my long term goal in life is to be my own boss and have freedom, be it trading at home full time or having my own business (i am looking into F & B biz).

I may not earn alot as compared to a CEO of a big corporation but I know what it takes to reach there as a CEO and how much stress and pressure you will take to earn that money. I think that is not worth it. I am better off living my own business, doing okay for money and being happy. I realise money does not equal happiness, otherwise I would be happy at my 74k income but I am not....

Of course I am a v frugal person as well and don't spend much. My gf is also not the materialistic type so I am quite lucky.

all the best!

Reply With Quote
  #974 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
blackswan is on a distinguished road
Default

hi i also in similar situation as though not as highly compensated.

i have abt 1 yr exp from grad. in a stat board and I have witnessed several high-potential officers and even my scholar boss quitting to join private sector.

most of the top mgmt ppl are AOs or scholars posted from my parent ministry... some of the non-scholars directors rose through ranks but are in 40s , 50s... and these directors are likely to be lower rank n pay than the ministry directors.
Pay aside, my job scope is quite boring and i really doubt i can sustain for next decade.

as a chemical engineering grad , i am contemplating whether to join the oil/gas/petrochem/utilities industry or wait for a few yrs before taking a MBA to switch to consulting.

both options are highly competitive considering i only have 2nd upper hons.
Reply With Quote
  #975 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm leaving the civil service and for last yr i received annual income of $74k. I just completed my second yr of service after graduating. You may envy my income at my age but I can tell you I am not happy.

why I wanna leave:

1) No passion to serve the public. I suspect many ppl r like that in there. They r in there for the money. I am really quite worried how Singaporeans have become as a whole become materialistic. Not say I hate Singaporeans, though in my line of duty I have encountered outrageous requests from some Singaporeans who are spolit brats but I simply don't see myself as the holy type that tries to make every Singaporeans' lives better.

2) Its a scholar's playground. You think you are smart with second upper or first class honors in local uni? Think again, scholars in the same batch as me have education from Ivy League Universities. They get better opportunities and exposure and get promoted. After 2 years here, they have became one rank above me.

3) Your skills r useless outside at least if you join my area of expertise. In the corporate world, depending on what skills you have, if lets say you have been unfairly treated or you feel you deserve the promotion but did not get it, you can move on to another company in the same industry. That's esp true for banking. Lets take for example the army, you felt that you are misfairly treated, at lets say at the age of 32 at the rank of major. How do you move around? Which industry can you go to for the same pay? And expect mistakes to happen at work. Nobody is 100% perfect. Esp in this political climate, where social media spreads news of government inefficiency quickly, you cant hide anything bad that happened.

I believe you should join only if you really like serving the people and don't relate well to promotion and money. If you relate well to promotion and money, I advise you to think twice about joining this because you will get disappointed. As a fresh grad I was v happy with the starting pay they offered to me. Now I understand why that type of pay is there. I do admit it is a female friendly environment which you will not be scared to be pregnant.

Civil service can be an iron bowl provided you don't cock up. You can also work there for life but promotion and pay rise are not certainties. If you really don't mind not being promoted or pay rise, and just want an iron rice bowl, then this may be for you. Esp for wives, who don't want to rise the corporate ladder because the husband is doing so and she just wants a job that is stable and pays okay.

I am hoping to switch to another industry soon expecting a pay cut. Its ok because I think I will be more happier there doing the things I like and learning skills that employers really value.
74k annual is also for just 2 years exp,

I have been working for 3 years plus in GLC, my latest annual is 56K only..
I estimate that I would only hit 74K annual if I continue to work in the same company for the next 6 years (mean I would need to work continuously for straight 9 years in my current company since fresh grad to get 74K annual)


2nd lower (NTU) 2007
Reply With Quote
  #976 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 67
alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road
Default

im currently studying to take my gmat hopefully by eoy or early next year. I aim to get into a masters of finance course next FY as well
Reply With Quote

  #977 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
74k annual is also for just 2 years exp,

I have been working for 3 years plus in GLC, my latest annual is 56K only..
I estimate that I would only hit 74K annual if I continue to work in the same company for the next 6 years (mean I would need to work continuously for straight 9 years in my current company since fresh grad to get 74K annual)


2nd lower (NTU) 2007
2nd lower is disadvantageous in govt job... i am 2nd upper n i already squeezed by scholars... i cant imagine how it is like for u...
Reply With Quote
  #978 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2nd lower is disadvantageous in govt job... i am 2nd upper n i already squeezed by scholars... i cant imagine how it is like for u...
I did apply a job in a ministry which need at least 2 years of project management exp, I got more than 3 + years exp, they offer me $3.7K for 2nd lower (with NS)....it is under paid???
Reply With Quote
  #979 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did apply a job in a ministry which need at least 2 years of project management exp, I got more than 3 + years exp, they offer me $3.7K for 2nd lower (with NS)....it is under paid???
seeing the recent replies here, first u shld be asking whether u haf the passion to tahan anot... the last few replies r ppl trying to get out...
Reply With Quote
  #980 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't think I can reveal where I am working...

but i am thinking of moving into professional trading as a trainee since I trade on my own too and have several ideas of my own but compeition is v stiff there too. thus I think i wld need to study a masters of finance to get into the industry since most trading houses/banks will consider my civil service exp irrelevant.

trading trainees earn peanuts as compared to the civil service if you r working in a boutique small trading firm (not big banks) but i think it will be something I like to persue and be able to strike out on my own in the future (e.g. trading full time at home).

for financial sector, I just have some advice for u...

1) Most big banks will normally throw ur resume away as ur resume is irrelevant. Aggressive SMU students already have big banks in their resume when they were doing internships with other big banks still in uni. What do you have? You can still join but expect to be in some non high flyer position, maybe Ops. Investment banking is highly unlikely.

2) Get a Masters of Finance or CFA. Masters is faster so you can make the switch fast.

3) If you are going in for the pay, expect to be disappointed. I earn more than some of my friends who work in the bank (excluding the investment banking types). Not every position in the bank is a high flyer position (think people selling credit cards at MRT). Nonetheless I still feel that they have better potential than me as they can job hop between banks but I can't. In the long run, they may earn more than the civil service, but once you go in the beginning, expect to take a pay cut if necessary.

for me my long term goal in life is to be my own boss and have freedom, be it trading at home full time or having my own business (i am looking into F & B biz).

I may not earn alot as compared to a CEO of a big corporation but I know what it takes to reach there as a CEO and how much stress and pressure you will take to earn that money. I think that is not worth it. I am better off living my own business, doing okay for money and being happy. I realise money does not equal happiness, otherwise I would be happy at my 74k income but I am not....

Of course I am a v frugal person as well and don't spend much. My gf is also not the materialistic type so I am quite lucky.

all the best!
I'm also working in the gov sector, its flooded with scholars. There are many types of scholars, those with PSC scholarship or from Ivy League universities have people "looking after them" and they always rise faster and get the desirable posts. I'm a 'second rate' scholar with 2nd upper hons from a local U and already I see the difference between me and the blue bloods after 5 years. Undoubtedly my pay of around 70k per year is comfortable, but I doubt I have much higher to rise, before it becomes some pathetic low increment per year while the blue bloods are two levels above me. My skill set is so limited that there is probably no where I can jump to in Singapore. I feel stuck, now that I'm at an age where I should be starting a family and getting a car and need money, I can't jump ship just like that.

With the high cost of living here, 70k/year isn't very much. The advantage of working for the gov is stability, there are no worries about getting fired, not being able to pay the housing loan, and yes they are family friendly and the work life balance is decent. But for an ambitious person, its really not enough.

My long term goal is to succeed in trading and investing, while working full time. The day I can be financially independant is the start of a new life. Till then, I'll stick to my job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 143 07-09-2020 04:27 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 24,121 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,030 Replies, 279,051 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,795 Replies, 1,176,618 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,892 Replies, 6,019,738 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 108,040 Views
Business / System Analyst
2 Replies, 945 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 6,461 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program...
9 Replies, 3,317 Views
anyone work as trainer with...
2 Replies, 1,917 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,946 Replies, 1,807,349 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
234 Replies, 144,971 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 831,875 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,726 Replies, 3,167,765 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,362 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 230,325 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 47,109 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,453 Replies, 2,046,775 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,087 Replies, 3,881,073 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,486 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 168,079 Views
Banker or Financial Advisor Career...
9 Replies, 1,178 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
157 Replies, 40,409 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 54,012 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
422 Replies, 276,596 Views
Python programmer skillz and pay
3 Replies, 373 Views
What are your struggles having...
0 Replies, 167 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
8 Replies, 6,733 Views
I need advice
3 Replies, 573 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2