Compare civil service salary - Page 88 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #871 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Hi, to clarify, I'm not from HR but I've been in the service long enough (7 years work + 2 years NS) to be able to make some observations.

Based on what you have mentioned, you seem to be doing alright and fall within, or possibly slightly ahead of the time-norms. I don't see it as a rare feat since quite a number of my colleagues who are non-scholars reach mx11 around 5-6 years in service (including NS). I think CEP plays quite an important part in all these and the trajectory of someone with a CEP of mx9 (at least) should be something like that, plus minus 1-2 years.

The hipo programme comes with more work but they give you some allowance. My view is that it is meant to retain those who are not quite good enough to be on the Admin Service, including MAs who did not get absorbed. From what I've observed, there seems to be some CEP-age cut off, among other things, to qualify. My guess is at least high mx9 before age 30, and at least mx8 after age 30. I might be wrong of course. You don't apply to be on hipo. They will emplace you if you meet the criteria.

I have a friend who work in ministry, in her late 30's, she told me that she one of those more important personnel. I don't know what is her MX level. She told me that her boss/ministry in order to prevent these 'IMPT' people from leaving or to retain staff, the ministry is given her $10K bonus for every 3 months of bond to stay in ministry. So in 1 year, she takes a total of $40K bonded bonus, which is on top of the mid-year bonus, year-end bonus, 13th month bonus & PB in April !!! Is this really true?

Reply With Quote
  #872 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a friend who work in ministry, in her late 30's, she told me that she one of those more important personnel. I don't know what is her MX level. She told me that her boss/ministry in order to prevent these 'IMPT' people from leaving or to retain staff, the ministry is given her $10K bonus for every 3 months of bond to stay in ministry. So in 1 year, she takes a total of $40K bonded bonus, which is on top of the mid-year bonus, year-end bonus, 13th month bonus & PB in April !!! Is this really true?
I'm on the hipo scheme myself. I don't think it makes me more important. I just means I might be able to contribute a little more in the longer term when I'm more experienced. I will be 33 this year. My hipo allowance when i was mx11 was 18k per year. I'm not sure if my hipo allowance will increase as i've just been promoted to mx10.

Notwithstanding this, I've been thinking about leaving service. It is not so much about the money though. In my view, money is important but not critical when it comes to making career decisions. Rather, it is a question of whether I will be happy in the longer term if I remained in service vis-a-vis trying out something new in the private sector. Whether I can leverage more on my strengths if I do work that can tap on other skill-sets.

Reply With Quote
  #873 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

It helps if one registers a nick, or at least leave a pen name or something so i know whether im talking to the same or different persons.

Reply With Quote
  #874 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I'm on the hipo scheme myself. I don't think it makes me more important. I just means I might be able to contribute a little more in the longer term when I'm more experienced. I will be 33 this year. My hipo allowance when i was mx11 was 18k per year. I'm not sure if my hipo allowance will increase as i've just been promoted to mx10.

Notwithstanding this, I've been thinking about leaving service. It is not so much about the money though. In my view, money is important but not critical when it comes to making career decisions. Rather, it is a question of whether I will be happy in the longer term if I remained in service vis-a-vis trying out something new in the private sector. Whether I can leverage more on my strengths if I do work that can tap on other skill-sets.

Hi there. I'm the guy with 3 years of service who posted earlier.

Can i check if you're a scholar? When did you get into hipo? How many years of service?

Realised that the hipo and MA allowances are sometimes not enough to retain ppl in the service. For those who are not in the programme, it's hard to understand why ppl leave when the allowance given is on top of their annual pay. But i guess like what you have pointed out, its the satisfaction/happiness in the longer term.
Reply With Quote
  #875 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
could you tell me what class of honours are you getting ? 2nd lower/upper or 1st class

could you reveal your salary since you are promoted from MX13 to 12 to 11 in 3 years.

MX13 pay>>
MX12 pay>>
MX11 pay>>

Also how much pay increment when promoted from MX13 to MX12, and from MX12 to MX11?
2nd upper non-scholar

MX13:$3280+
MX12:$3630+
MX11:$4440+
MX11: $4800+ (just got annual increment this year)
Reply With Quote
  #876 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2011, 01:23 AM
public servant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I'm on the hipo scheme myself. I don't think it makes me more important. I just means I might be able to contribute a little more in the longer term when I'm more experienced. I will be 33 this year. My hipo allowance when i was mx11 was 18k per year. I'm not sure if my hipo allowance will increase as i've just been promoted to mx10.

Notwithstanding this, I've been thinking about leaving service. It is not so much about the money though. In my view, money is important but not critical when it comes to making career decisions. Rather, it is a question of whether I will be happy in the longer term if I remained in service vis-a-vis trying out something new in the private sector. Whether I can leverage more on my strengths if I do work that can tap on other skill-sets.
when do u get emplaced in hi-po? or rather i should ask when would a person be considered for emplacement (since hipo program might have started only after you are in service for a few yrs).

2nd yr? 3rd yr?
Reply With Quote

  #877 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there. I'm the guy with 3 years of service who posted earlier.

Can i check if you're a scholar? When did you get into hipo? How many years of service?

Realised that the hipo and MA allowances are sometimes not enough to retain ppl in the service. For those who are not in the programme, it's hard to understand why ppl leave when the allowance given is on top of their annual pay. But i guess like what you have pointed out, its the satisfaction/happiness in the longer term.
yes. 2008 when it was first introduced. 4th year.

yes. i think the money helps to retain those who are still sitting on the fences. and once people remain on the fences for too long, i.e. they get too old, their open market value will take a dip and it is easier to retain them. Other factors such as family/financial commitment also play a part. But once people make up their minds, actually how much allowance they give doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote
  #878 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by public servant View Post
when do u get emplaced in hi-po? or rather i should ask when would a person be considered for emplacement (since hipo program might have started only after you are in service for a few yrs).

2nd yr? 3rd yr?
I have answered all these questions in the post above.

The first thing one should find out or at least have a sense of is one's own CEP. My guess is if you want to have a good chance of getting in, or remaining in it, it should be at least mx8.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #879 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 67
alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road
Default

Is there a cut-off age for entering the Hi-Po scheme? Im a 2nd lower. Realistically speaking, with that class of honours I dont think most will get a high enough CEP to be inducted into the hipo scheme right?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #880 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysnforever View Post
Is there a cut-off age for entering the Hi-Po scheme? Im a 2nd lower. Realistically speaking, with that class of honours I dont think most will get a high enough CEP to be inducted into the hipo scheme right?
I don't think there is a cut-off age for hipo (except by age 40, one graduates from the programme if one has not reached MX9), although I suspect there are age-CEP norms as mentioned previously. If you are a good performer and your boss assesses you to be of good potential, it is possible for your CEP to be upgraded such that one might be eligible for hipo, I think.

Based on the estab rank of positions, you can almost guesstimate how one might assess CEP:

For MX9 - they think you are able to perform up to the level of Director at maximus.

For MX8/7 - they think you are able to perform up to Divisional Director/Senior Director level at maximus.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 143 07-09-2020 04:27 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,954 Replies, 6,048,197 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 93,931 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,483 Replies, 2,057,493 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,967 Replies, 1,822,499 Views
Capgemini Graduate Programme ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 7,012 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 3,879 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,806 Replies, 1,188,011 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,755 Replies, 3,190,784 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
9 Replies, 3,179 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 3,210 Views
Dentist Salary ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,286 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,528 Replies, 1,007,962 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
752 Replies, 384,593 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 124,211 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 7,411 Views
How much does a typical FP&A... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 2,511 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,679 Replies, 1,377,570 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,776 Replies, 840,034 Views
Buy condo or wait it out?
4 Replies, 658 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 41,742 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
51 Replies, 19,580 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
364 Replies, 127,165 Views
An upgrade to my system
1 Replies, 87 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,064 Replies, 285,457 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 121,104 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
1 Replies, 616 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
289 Replies, 187,772 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,058 Replies, 837,944 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 57,130 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 97,703 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2