Lawyer Salary - Page 904 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 26-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

Lopsided Women's Charter driving men's suicide rate up. s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bserious%5D-sometimes-i-wonder-why-tf-i-got-married-6381651.html

Old 26-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lopsided Women's Charter driving men's suicide rate up. s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bserious%5D-sometimes-i-wonder-why-tf-i-got-married-6381651.html
Doesn't matter. I want office to reopen quick so I can find a gf because WFH makes me want more female company.

Old 27-09-2020, 01:16 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Hi, I'm applying for a TC (likely with small firms), and I'm wondering what type of bosses I should be weary of?

I thought the standard practice with small firms was that I had to intern with them before they decide whether to offer me a place. But there has been one particular firm which took me in quite happily. It's a pretty new firm and so there aren't any reviews online.

But I feel like I don't have enough information on the company and its boss to make an informed decision.

Does anyone have advice on applying to small firms? Considerations I have: whether I'll be used as cheap labor (made to return every holiday to intern), retention (cuz I can't estimate how good business is right now), mentorship (I know I shouldn't expect too much), and any concerns about the fact that I'm female ... (not to sound like a prude but I'm threading on the side of caution ..)

I'm not trying to be picky, but I was just wondering if there are any indicators/things to look out for when applying to a small firm.

Old 27-09-2020, 01:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I'm applying for a TC (likely with small firms), and I'm wondering what type of bosses I should be weary of?

I thought the standard practice with small firms was that I had to intern with them before they decide whether to offer me a place. But there has been one particular firm which took me in quite happily. It's a pretty new firm and so there aren't any reviews online.

But I feel like I don't have enough information on the company and its boss to make an informed decision.

Does anyone have advice on applying to small firms? Considerations I have: whether I'll be used as cheap labor (made to return every holiday to intern), retention (cuz I can't estimate how good business is right now), mentorship (I know I shouldn't expect too much), and any concerns about the fact that I'm female ... (not to sound like a prude but I'm threading on the side of caution ..)

I'm not trying to be picky, but I was just wondering if there are any indicators/things to look out for when applying to a small firm.
Just go and get burned lah. At best, you got interesting stories to tell about the one time you tried to become a lawyer.

At worst, just call police lah.

Jokes aside, the follow up question is: so what even if there are red flags? You will quit and find another TC at a big firm instead? Like as though you can just find one with snap of your fingers? Knuckle down and get with the programme lah. Want to be lawyer or not?
Old 27-09-2020, 01:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just go and get burned lah. At best, you got interesting stories to tell about the one time you tried to become a lawyer.

At worst, just call police lah.

Jokes aside, the follow up question is: so what even if there are red flags? You will quit and find another TC at a big firm instead? Like as though you can just find one with snap of your fingers? Knuckle down and get with the programme lah. Want to be lawyer or not?

I want. But there are so many small firms out there the best I can do for myself (since I have time) would be to look around n decide carefully. Was just wondering if y'all had thoughts on how to decide BETWEEN small firms.

(( I didn't mention anything about big firms)).
Old 27-09-2020, 03:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I want. But there are so many small firms out there the best I can do for myself (since I have time) would be to look around n decide carefully. Was just wondering if y'all had thoughts on how to decide BETWEEN small firms.

I have a very horrid experience with a small firm such that I will not recommend to anyone, anyone at all. It is not just working late hours with v little pay.

Go to linkedin, see if you can find previous employees. See how long they stay at each firm. If no one no one at all stay more than a year, most prob is shitty and horrible.

On hindsight, it should have been a red flag but i was too stupid. If there is a turnover rate of employees, but a couple stay like 1-2 years plus should be still okay quite normal. Like maybe not great but not horrible either.

Yes as a female should practise caution. Not all bosses are like that though

Old 27-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Hi there, I’ve been offered a legal role in a statutory board. Wondering how the prospects are as compared to if I had a chance to join AGC? Heard that AGC also posts people to statutory boards. Thanks.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Ignore the previous poster. Just a trademark bitter asshole - many of those around.

When it comes to small firms, you would be right to be careful -> the variance in standard is very very great, and all your concerns are valid. As another poster pointed out, checking linkedin to see how many employees they have, turnover, how many stay after training is a good start. Other than that, interning even after you've accepted the TC is not a bad idea to see how work culture there is like, and if you get closer to some of the assocs you can ask them for their honest opinions. As long as you are still in school, there's nothing stopping you from finding another TC. Look out for yourself.
Old 28-09-2020, 07:14 AM
Unregistered

Anyone knows what Clyde&Co Clasis pays associates?
Old 28-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have a very horrid experience with a small firm such that I will not recommend to anyone, anyone at all. It is not just working late hours with v little pay.

Go to linkedin, see if you can find previous employees. See how long they stay at each firm. If no one no one at all stay more than a year, most prob is shitty and horrible.

On hindsight, it should have been a red flag but i was too stupid. If there is a turnover rate of employees, but a couple stay like 1-2 years plus should be still okay quite normal. Like maybe not great but not horrible either.

Yes as a female should practise caution. Not all bosses are like that though
Every firm is different.

I trained with a small law firm... and have been with the same firm for 4+/5 years now. It's the only firm i've ever worked with. lol. Also female.

My thoughts are as follows:

The legal industry is brutal. Whether you're in a big or small or med firm, the first 1-2 years will be tough. The type of difficulties you meet is different at each law firm, but it will never be easy.

My life only got better at year 3. I put my foot down and told my boss that i was at a crossroads. I simply could not keep up with the number of files/amount of work i was being thrown. I was also not earning the kind of pay that would make such a workload fair.

So we came to an agreement where I earn a cut of files... if i didn't want to handle the file, I could reject it and simply not earn from the file (which would then go to other assocs or my boss would handle it himself).

Has been working well for me so far...

I don't think life in law will ever be "easy".. but I'd like to think that life gets slightly better with time. [cant believe im still in practice though. heh.]