Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a very horrid experience with a small firm such that I will not recommend to anyone, anyone at all. It is not just working late hours with v little pay.

Go to linkedin, see if you can find previous employees. See how long they stay at each firm. If no one no one at all stay more than a year, most prob is shitty and horrible.

On hindsight, it should have been a red flag but i was too stupid. If there is a turnover rate of employees, but a couple stay like 1-2 years plus should be still okay quite normal. Like maybe not great but not horrible either.

Yes as a female should practise caution. Not all bosses are like that though
Every firm is different.

I trained with a small law firm... and have been with the same firm for 4+/5 years now. It's the only firm i've ever worked with. lol. Also female.

My thoughts are as follows:

The legal industry is brutal. Whether you're in a big or small or med firm, the first 1-2 years will be tough. The type of difficulties you meet is different at each law firm, but it will never be easy.

My life only got better at year 3. I put my foot down and told my boss that i was at a crossroads. I simply could not keep up with the number of files/amount of work i was being thrown. I was also not earning the kind of pay that would make such a workload fair.

So we came to an agreement where I earn a cut of files... if i didn't want to handle the file, I could reject it and simply not earn from the file (which would then go to other assocs or my boss would handle it himself).

Has been working well for me so far...

I don't think life in law will ever be "easy".. but I'd like to think that life gets slightly better with time. [cant believe im still in practice though. heh.]