Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 21-07-2020, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's diff then. You can ask for compensation in lieu of notice. Raise this up immediately and reserve your rights. Don't act as if you have agreed to shorten the notice period.
Has this firm been recently mentioned on this thread

Old 21-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
That's diff then. You can ask for compensation in lieu of notice. Raise this up immediately and reserve your rights. Don't act as if you have agreed to shorten the notice period.
I don't think OP has said that his/her firm has forced him/her to shorten the notice period. Tendering does not equate to shortening notice period. As a matter of practicality, I doubt it makes sense to ask for compensation in lieu of notice, particularly since it may likely lead to a gap in OP's CV –*assuming that OP will face difficulty finding another job. Might as well just tender, serve notice, and concurrently find a job.

Old 21-07-2020, 12:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Has this firm been recently mentioned on this thread
Is it a B4 at MBFC?

Old 21-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Unregistered

Anyone sick of their current position and wants to leave? Ready to take your job.
Old 21-07-2020, 02:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
their egos can't accept the 'legal exec' title
Because I heard the pay offered was 1.5k. And this is at a "big" glamorous mid sized firm.
Old 21-07-2020, 02:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I made the firm decision to quit law and became a financial consultant. Although the market isn’t doing well now, my commission is still on the higher-end (averaging about 12k/month). I have another friend who graduated the same year as me and is doing BD (8k/month). We are glad we made the decision after some tough deliberations and we are doing what we love right now. I love talking to clients from the beginning and I know law is going to shut me out for at least a few years. Now I get to manage my own portfolio and the salary is awesome. When I visit this page and look at all you struggling, it just reaffirmed that my decision to quit was right from the very beginning.

Were you guys at a big4? How many pqe? What made you take the leap?

I just finished my TC at a big4 and I know this isn't for me. It pays well and I know I'm lucky to have a job but I'm just so bored and I dread work everyday. I keep telling myself I can't do anything else but I haven't actually applied because I don't have the balls to do it

Old 21-07-2020, 03:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I’m the OP who was asked to resign. My notice period is 3 months. I believe the firm is fully entitled to terminate me with 3 months’ notice or salary in lieu, per the contract. But the situation is I am asked to tender by next month.
Quote:
I’m the OP who was asked to resign. My notice period is 3 months. I believe the firm is fully entitled to terminate me with 3 months’ notice or salary in lieu, per the contract. But the situation is I am asked to tender by next month.
Doesn't that mean that they will still have to retain you from Aug (plus 3 months) as per the notice period? If you tender your resignation, does that affect your legal rights in any way? Are they allowed to shorten the notice period (without payment) if you resign as opposed to being fired?

In this uncertain climate, I suggest you do nothing and let them fire you instead. There are certain resources and payments you can only access if you were made forcibly unemployed as opposed to a resignation (e.g unemployment benefits or resilience package benefits etc).

They may not even fire you if they need to provide these 3 months payment in lieu, and if they try to make your life difficult and force you to resign, you should contact TAFE or relevant employment bureaus.

In any case, if you are still fired, you then have 3 months (working or placed on garden leave) where you can apply to firms in the interim. This is obvious, but do not accept any request to shorten the notice period unless you are corresponding paid in lieu.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Doesn't that mean that they will still have to retain you from Aug (plus 3 months) as per the notice period? If you tender your resignation, does that affect your legal rights in any way? Are they allowed to shorten the notice period (without payment) if you resign as opposed to being fired?

In this uncertain climate, I suggest you do nothing and let them fire you instead. There are certain resources and payments you can only access if you were made forcibly unemployed as opposed to a resignation (e.g unemployment benefits or resilience package benefits etc).

They may not even fire you if they need to provide these 3 months payment in lieu, and if they try to make your life difficult and force you to resign, you should contact TAFE or relevant employment bureaus.

In any case, if you are still fired, you then have 3 months (working or placed on garden leave) where you can apply to firms in the interim. This is obvious, but do not accept any request to shorten the notice period unless you are corresponding paid in lieu.
Thank you so much, I appreciate this advice. Yes, I’ve been asked to tender in August and leave immediately, despite my notice period being 3 months. I am trying to avoid appearing difficult given how small the industry is, and how fast words spread. But I would really need the full notice period to look for a job. I am absolutely shocked and disappointed at the firm’s decision to do this to its associates during this challenging time.
Old 21-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you so much, I appreciate this advice. Yes, I’ve been asked to tender in August and leave immediately, despite my notice period being 3 months. I am trying to avoid appearing difficult given how small the industry is, and how fast words spread. But I would really need the full notice period to look for a job. I am absolutely shocked and disappointed at the firm’s decision to do this to its associates during this challenging time.
Huh, ok. That is clearly in breach of contract since you are entitled to 3 months' notice, or they will have to pay you 3 months' pay in lieu.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Not trying to be mean.... but as a lawyer, regardless whether you're an employment lawyer or not, surely you would know your rights as to your employment contract?