Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 22 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
U are right. Haiz. I should prepare for the worst, or just give up all hopes afterall. Everytime I call the HR, the HR tells me the outcome of the interview is not finalized yet and this has been dragging for 1.5 months. If I'm rejected, I rather they tell me straight so that I can move on.
I experienced few times before such that i lost hope working in govt sector completely. I now working in large mnc instead. I suspect when HR told u that the outcome is not finalized, there are 3 possibilities. 1st, it means that they are offering the best candidate offer and only when he accept the offer, the outcome is finalized. 2nd, the position been posted and up for grab all year round, for e.g., constituency manager in PA or other positions in mof/ moh etc. So the HR may even tell the candidate from last year that the outcome is not finalized if he dare to call.

of course, the best possibility is that the interviewers has not finished conducting all interviews yet. But it shd be happening in the 1st month after closing date.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I experienced few times before such that i lost hope working in govt sector completely. I now working in large mnc instead. I suspect when HR told u that the outcome is not finalized, there are 3 possibilities. 1st, it means that they are offering the best candidate offer and only when he accept the offer, the outcome is finalized. 2nd, the position been posted and up for grab all year round, for e.g., constituency manager in PA or other positions in mof/ moh etc. So the HR may even tell the candidate from last year that the outcome is not finalized if he dare to call.

of course, the best possibility is that the interviewers has not finished conducting all interviews yet. But it shd be happening in the 1st month after closing date.
Thanks for ur insights. I guess the third possibility that the interviewers have not finished conducting the interviews is out cos it has been more than 1.5 months.

I don't quite understand about the second possibility. Hope u can shed some light. If the position is a popular position that is up for grab all year round, the company will conduct an interview and after the interview, they have to be accountable to those interviewees they interviewed right? If those interviewees call to enquire on the outcome, the HR should give them an answer right?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:34 AM

in3deep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if more than one month, you shd be prepared for the worst. If a company very sincere or urgent looking for one, they will contact you asap after you apply and get you an offer as soon as your interview has impressed them. My friend got into hdb 3 weeks after she applied despite being fresh grad.
bro

den me got hope or not???

Old 12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Even if the position is a popular one and up for grabs all year round, the company would not conduct interviews all year round right? If they conduct one interview for a huge batch of candidates, they would have to give an answer to these interviewees if they call to enquire after the interview right?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for ur insights. I guess the third possibility that the interviewers have not finished conducting the interviews is out cos it has been more than 1.5 months.

I don't quite understand about the second possibility. Hope u can shed some light. If the position is a popular position that is up for grab all year round, the company will conduct an interview and after the interview, they have to be accountable to those interviewees they interviewed right? If those interviewees call to enquire on the outcome, the HR should give them an answer right?
I refer to those jobs that are auto posted in career@gov. If you search jobs there regularly, you may notice some familiar job title that are posted repeatedly almost every month. To me, these jobs either not urgent to fill or are posted to meet some performance target.

To the HR, they need to handle hundreds of applications for each position. Possibly, they may not rmb which candidates for which position. So this why I suspect the general answer for HR when facing such enquiry is "The outcome is not finalized!!!", especially if the position level is entry or mid-level
Old 12-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by in3deep View Post
bro

den me got hope or not???

When I went for first interview in govt ministry few years back, I was too naive to think that the job offer would come within 2 weeks of my interview. End up after 1 month, I still expected a call for 2nd interview, letter or even email if not successful.

Don't keep too much hope, even you just went for an interview yesterday. The greater the hope, the more you will get disappointed if bad outcome. At least you will feel better. Go on applying other jobs that you think suitable or ideal.

Anything is a bonus. If you read earlier posts, there always some saying that they got job offer after 1 or 2 weeks. My advice to you is keep on applying until you are receiving job offer.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I refer to those jobs that are auto posted in career@gov. If you search jobs there regularly, you may notice some familiar job title that are posted repeatedly almost every month. To me, these jobs either not urgent to fill or are posted to meet some performance target.

To the HR, they need to handle hundreds of applications for each position. Possibly, they may not rmb which candidates for which position. So this why I suspect the general answer for HR when facing such enquiry is "The outcome is not finalized!!!", especially if the position level is entry or mid-level
Thanks for ur explanation. But they can only shortlist a batch for interviews right? And if they bother to conduct interviews, they should also then give an answer on the outcome.

Hai anyway, I should have moved on long ago instead of waiting for an outcome. But still I hope they could give me an answer when I call them for me to move on.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
When I went for first interview in govt ministry few years back, I was too naive to think that the job offer would come within 2 weeks of my interview. End up after 1 month, I still expected a call for 2nd interview, letter or even email if not successful.

Don't keep too much hope, even you just went for an interview yesterday. The greater the hope, the more you will get disappointed if bad outcome. At least you will feel better. Go on applying other jobs that you think suitable or ideal.

Anything is a bonus. If you read earlier posts, there always some saying that they got job offer after 1 or 2 weeks. My advice to you is keep on applying until you are receiving job offer.
U are right. No point placing so much hope. I think I need to face the reality and have my heart and mind settled myself and move on.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

I don't seem to have much luck in applying for govt jobs. It's time I try the private sector instead.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

U are right. Suddenly made me realise that I'm silly to wait for a call/email from them after 1.5 months. They say will inform be it shortlisted or not shortlisted. But saying is easy. They may just forget. I need to move on.