Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 122 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Old 09-04-2019, 05:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
MOE takes up to 6 months to sign teachers, Mindef takes 3 months min, cannot promise anything buddy.

Yes reference is usually the last stage. For ministry usually just formality since everybody sure arrange for BFF and rehearsed already. Sometimes they just want to see if u dare to put your ex boss because some people think burning bridges is something they waited a long time to do due to accumulated hatred.

Clearance can take 1-2 months buddy. Also wonder what they check. Private companies take under a week.
So reference check is done only after security clearance?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
So reference check is done only after security clearance?
Usually is concurrent. How long can reference take man... Its just a call or sometimes email. It's the least of your worries. Be more worried about clearance such as financial embarrassment or criminal record in the family.

I think you are trying to predict how long more they may take. Give your mind a break, do something to take your mind off, this is something beyond your control or influence. Chill buddy. Keep applying jobs, assume the worst. I know it's easy to say hard to do... But really there's nothing u can do.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Unregistered

I have done my reference check, medical and security clearance. How long do i have to wait for approval and signing?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have done my reference check, medical and security clearance. How long do i have to wait for approval and signing?
Did you sign up for some management/mass intake program. If you did it could be they process as a batch, so got to wait till the last one is settled.

Otherwise... Better to let others advise you. Maybe it's easier for others if u reveal what you signed up for.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Did you sign up for some management/mass intake program. If you did it could be they process as a batch, so got to wait till the last one is settled.

Otherwise... Better to let others advise you. Maybe it's easier for others if u reveal what you signed up for.
It is a HASE/Management Executive scheme under SPS - MHA
Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is a HASE/Management Executive scheme under SPS - MHA
HASE is a mass intake scheme. Just like banks signing management associate program.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

SPS website's called it MX, so i assume its the same? Strange though, its been soooo long. Appointment approval is taking eons
Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Hi I have a question.

I received 2 provisional offers from 2 different stat boards. Basically, both called and say they want to offer and informed about the remuneration. I have to respond to my second-choice by this friday if I would like to accept the provisional offer, after which I will meet the director and receive the contract. This would all be done by next week.

But my first-choice says give them 2 weeks to settle the posting and paperwork etc.

Should I reject the 2nd-choice provisional offer or accept and then reject at the signing contract stage? But even if I accept 2nd choice now and reject next week, I still won't get the official contract for 1st choice by next week.

I know I want my 1st choice but I'm just scared that what if they suddenly rescind the offer. Is there any possibility of that happening in public sector?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi I have a question.

I received 2 provisional offers from 2 different stat boards. Basically, both called and say they want to offer and informed about the remuneration. I have to respond to my second-choice by this friday if I would like to accept the provisional offer, after which I will meet the director and receive the contract. This would all be done by next week.

Verbal offer means nothing in the eyes of the law. They are simply trying to gauge your level of interest to this job. Some people they call may say they already found work. Besides, why are you meeting the director after the verbal offer? Usually the director is called in to be the tie breaker, there are two or three top candidates and the manager feels all are good. In simple English, you are still in danger, just express interest and chill.

But my first-choice says give them 2 weeks to settle the posting and paperwork etc.

Should I reject the 2nd-choice provisional offer or accept and then reject at the signing contract stage? But even if I accept 2nd choice now and reject next week, I still won't get the official contract for 1st choice by next week.

I know I want my 1st choice but I'm just scared that what if they suddenly rescind the offer. Is there any possibility of that happening in public sector?

possible to rescind... But my opinion is, just express interest for both. if your first choice offers you later on, just serve notice with the second choice employer. If need to pay liquidated damages, just pay. You call it first choice means... It will make you unhappy to let it go right.. Then don't let it go.

Negotiate both in isolation, don't play them against each other.

Very soft market, don't take chances, treat each opportunity like there's no alternative.

Thanks in advance!!!
Remember, all you owe them is notice period or liquidated damages if any. Any they don't owe you anything until you sign an unconditional employment contract-means nothing pending.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Smile Just take all that comes by

Quote:
Hi I have a question.

Verbal offer means nothing in the eyes of the law. They are simply trying to gauge your interest towards this job. Some people they call may say they already found work. Besides, why are you meeting the director after the verbal offer? Usually the director is called in to be the tie breaker, there are two or three top candidates and the manager feels all are good. In simple English, you are still in danger, just express interest and chill.

possible to rescind... But my opinion is, just express interest for both. if your first choice offers you later on, just serve notice with the second choice employer. If need to pay liquidated damages, just pay. You call it first choice means... It will make you unhappy to let it go right.. Then don't let it go.

Negotiate both in isolation, don't play them against each other.

Very soft market, don't take chances, treat each opportunity like there's no alternative.

Thanks in advance!!!
Remember, all you owe them is notice period or liquidated damages if any. Any they don't owe you anything until you sign an unconditional employment contract-means nothing pending.