Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Service Performance Bonus

Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Default Confirmation

Hey guys,

I've heard recently of ppl not being confirmed, can that be true??

Old 13-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys,

I've heard recently of ppl not being confirmed, can that be true??
Am assuming you are referring to fresh graduates in ministries put on 1 yr contract at MX13. Its possible not to be confirmed which basically means your boss thinks you are not suitable for the job. When you are confirmed i.e. 'promoted' to MX12, you are either put on perm estab or given a three year contract. 'promoted' is in quotes because most ppl dont really think of it as a promotion as it is almost given. You need to put in effort to let your bosses think you suck. hahaha.

Old 14-03-2012, 06:22 PM

skoolboi76 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
even though i'm still under probation when pb is given out?

also, would like to check another thing. it was stated in the hr website that they will moderate our gradings. so that means there will definitely be ppl who will get a D grade due to moderation right? even though the person may actually meet expectations. and D grades are not entitled to any bonus at all? isn that very unfair?
Indeed giving employee grading based on quota system is unfair. Why do we have to limit the number of As,Bs,Cs and Ds for every grade??? Employee won't be graded fairly especially when money is at stack ???? It should be abolished. If supervisor thinks everyone within the department deserve an A then so be it. Of course it will mean rewarding more $$$ for that PB month . Government can afford it ?????i doubt ...

Old 14-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Of course every boss would want to give as many of his staff 'A'. But ultimately, the bonus pool is fixed and is distributed accordingly to the performance of the staff. Secondly, if everyone gets 'A', its as good as saying that everyone is performing equally. We know that that is not the case. The idea is to reward the top performing staff and motivate staff to perform. At corporate level, there are differences between bonus, so if a particular department perform very well (which is hard to quantify because department's KPIs are different), staff from that department might receive some additional reward.

Also, among department, there is technically no quota on the number of 'A's, 'B's or 'C' that the Director can award. However, at the corporate level or higher level, the Director have to justify why it is his/her staff that should get the 'A' rather than that some other staff from the other department. This is usually not easy (if it is, it means someone boss is not doing his/her work to fight for his/her staff).
Old 14-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Of course every boss would want to give as many of his staff 'A'. But ultimately, the bonus pool is fixed and is distributed accordingly to the performance of the staff. Secondly, if everyone gets 'A', its as good as saying that everyone is performing equally. We know that that is not the case. The idea is to reward the top performing staff and motivate staff to perform. At corporate level, there are differences between bonus, so if a particular department perform very well (which is hard to quantify because department's KPIs are different), staff from that department might receive some additional reward.

Also, among department, there is technically no quota on the number of 'A's, 'B's or 'C' that the Director can award. However, at the corporate level or higher level, the Director have to justify why it is his/her staff that should get the 'A' rather than that some other staff from the other department. This is usually not easy (if it is, it means someone boss is not doing his/her work to fight for his/her staff).
When talking about every bosses giving his/her fellow employees GOOD gradings , at the same time there will be some who dun .... Speaking of the term performances , the definition is actually really wide. Whats wrong with giving your fellow employees better grades when you think he/she deserve it??? The problem lies with the current system when normination have to be highlighted for the best and worse employee . Fact is how can we be sure employee who is given A is actually performing at his/hers best not by practising bias between bosses and employee??? Personal I have encountered people who are gotten good grades usually based on favourism by bosses or the upper level. At the end of the day , not all grading are processed with fairness. If that is so , why restrict the quota system on PB???Meaningless. Hence,answer is very simple, if every bosses should give their employee at least a B , with no restriction nor quota system , the total amount of bonus will accuminate into an imaginable amount which our dear TOP management have to fork out. With this current quota system , this phenomenon will never happened. Take recent incentive by recent certain GOV sector to attract "new , capable and effective" officers by rewarding a lum sum of 8 to 10 K for diploma holders. New, I agree but capable and effective, we can never know. One thing for sure, they most proablilty are here for the good incentive another word = MONEY.

Bottomline, those who gotten A = the best of the best ????? No really ... Empolyee who gotten D = Worse of the kind??? ....
Old 14-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Based on what you say, the point is not about awarding deserving staff 'A's or 'B's, but:

1) to increase the amount of bonuses awarded.
2) unhappiness over non-consistency of grading by bosses.

For (1), public sectors have allocated budgets, which rightfully, are paid by tax-payers. Hence, it is the responsibility of the public sector to not spend money carelessly. As I wrote previously, the bonus budget is fixed and shared accordingly. Giving more 'B's doesn't mean top management need to pay more, it just mean everyone get less. If you are a top performer, you wouldn't be happy.

For (2), your performance should already be determined by KPIs that were set in your prior assessment or meetings with your bosses. If you feel you have met or exceed your KPI and is unsatisfied with your grade, there are usually venues for you to seek higher management intervention.

Note that meeting most of your KPI only qualifies you for a "C" grade. "B" means you value-added to your job - to a certain extend, your boss and his/her boss knows the good work you have done, "A" usually means the organisation would find it difficult to do without you. In general, majority of staff will get the same grade except for a small percentage of 'B's and 'A's. Often I see more staff who are contented to be "C" than try to become a "B" or "A" because the differences in bonus from "C" to "B" or "A" is actually not big enough to motivate them.

Rightfully, good people get good grades, otherwise the department/organisation will slowly degrade into a F-up place and staff will start to leave. If you are in such a situation, I suggest you tactically ask for a transfer. Also bootlicking will only get a person so-far, at the end of the day, if the person can't meet his/her KPI, it will still be hard to justify the person's grade. This is especially true the higher up the person gets.

Also, for your info, the appraisal is part of a larger ranking exercise where EVERY employee is ranked. If you ranked poorly, there is no way your boss can give you good grades even if he/she wants to. Again, this exercise is not only department wide, but usually consolidated at the organisation level. So, if you managed to piss other bosses, this is when they get back at you. Likewise, if a staff does not perform, there is only so much his/her boss can do for him/her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolboi76 View Post
When talking about every bosses giving his/her fellow employees GOOD gradings , at the same time there will be some who dun .... Speaking of the term performances , the definition is actually really wide. Whats wrong with giving your fellow employees better grades when you think he/she deserve it??? The problem lies with the current system when normination have to be highlighted for the best and worse employee . Fact is how can we be sure employee who is given A is actually performing at his/hers best not by practising bias between bosses and employee??? Personal I have encountered people who are gotten good grades usually based on favourism by bosses or the upper level. At the end of the day , not all grading are processed with fairness. If that is so , why restrict the quota system on PB???Meaningless. Hence,answer is very simple, if every bosses should give their employee at least a B , with no restriction nor quota system , the total amount of bonus will accuminate into an imaginable amount which our dear TOP management have to fork out. With this current quota system , this phenomenon will never happened. Take recent incentive by recent certain GOV sector to attract "new , capable and effective" officers by rewarding a lum sum of 8 to 10 K for diploma holders. New, I agree but capable and effective, we can never know. One thing for sure, they most proablilty are here for the good incentive another word = MONEY.

Bottomline, those who gotten A = the best of the best ????? No really ... Empolyee who gotten D = Worse of the kind??? ....

Old 15-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Based on what you say, the point is not about awarding deserving staff 'A's or 'B's, but:

For (1), public sectors have allocated budgets, which rightfully, are paid by tax-payers. Hence, it is the responsibility of the public sector to not spend money carelessly. As I wrote previously, the bonus budget is fixed and shared accordingly. Giving more 'B's doesn't mean top management need to pay more, it just mean everyone get less. If you are a top performer, you wouldn't be happy.

For (2), your performance should already be determined by KPIs that were set in your prior assessment or meetings with your bosses. If you feel you have met or exceed your KPI and is unsatisfied with your grade, there are usually venues for you to seek higher management intervention.

Note that meeting most of your KPI only qualifies you for a "C" grade. "B" means you value-added to your job - to a certain extend, your boss and his/her boss knows the good work you have done, "A" usually means the organisation would find it difficult to do without you. In general, majority of staff will get the same grade except for a small percentage of 'B's and 'A's. Often I see more staff who are contented to be "C" than try to become a "B" or "A" because the differences in bonus from "C" to "B" or "A" is actually not big enough to motivate them.

Rightfully, good people get good grades, otherwise the department/organisation will slowly degrade into a F-up place and staff will start to leave. If you are in such a situation, I suggest you tactically ask for a transfer. Also bootlicking will only get a person so-far, at the end of the day, if the person can't meet his/her KPI, it will still be hard to justify the person's grade. This is especially true the higher up the person gets.

Also, for your info, the appraisal is part of a larger ranking exercise where EVERY employee is ranked. If you ranked poorly, there is no way your boss can give you good grades even if he/she wants to. Again, this exercise is not only department wide, but usually consolidated at the organisation level. So, if you managed to piss other bosses, this is when they get back at you. Likewise, if a staff does not perform, there is only so much his/her boss can do for him/her.
Seriously , is this what you really think is going on meaning your management had train you well ..... Good for you and happy for your management.
Old 15-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

the thing is if ur boss sucks or is the condamn kind, nobody will listen to his recommendation of giving u A or B. This is what happened to me even though my boss told me I will get a good grade.

plus civil service skills are hardly transferable outside. if u r lucky u can change ur job, if not u r stuck there literally.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

It's not what I think. It's what I practise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolboi76 View Post
Seriously , is this what you really think is going on meaning your management had train you well ..... Good for you and happy for your management.
Old 17-03-2012, 01:22 AM
orangeboy

Default PB

What does 1.5000 months PERFORMANCE BONUS (PB) mean when translate into grade for Mx 13?
Division I